Getting started: settings, tips to nice prints

tomaszklos

Posted · Getting started: settings, tips to nice prints

Looking at your cubes with the warped top surface, you should increase the top/bottom thickness to 1.2mm

I noticed you print at "Bottom/Top thickness: 0.6mm".

The initial discarge is ment to prime the head for printing and fill it up with plastic. Sadly there is no foolproof method to get the strands out of the way. When I start a print, I wait for the printer to start discharging filament, then quickly snag it off and hold it away from the nozzle until the bed plate has reached its final position and the head starts moving. If you grab filament strand midair, you can touch it with your fingeres without burning yourself. But be careful!

• Replies 88
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your travel speed should be at least the default of 150 - I generally use 250 without problems. That will minimize blobbing when moving around the print.

The 'shell thickness' is just the side walls. You need to adjust the top/bottom thickness to cover up the bubbling better. The shell thickness generally should be an exact multiple of your nozzle size (0.4mm usually), and the top/bottom thickness should be an exact multiple of your layer height.

Yes, just grab the initial strand of filament - ideally with tweezers, but fingers work too so long as you aren't right up by the nozzle. Be sure also to print with several loops of skirt or brim so that the head is fully primed before the print starts.

Good morning.

Another day of trials. This time I will adjust the top/bottom layer to 1.2 the same as the walls. Print speed and bottom layer speed I will put to 30mm/s and the travel speed @250mm/s also added back the brim layer. So let see how this one will look. Since I want to keep the settings of the head temp @ 230 and bed temp @ 60 is there a way to set these permanently, instead of changing in on the fly?

Access the "Material" section on your UM2. There you can store a new preset with these settings or overwrite the PLA one. Sadly you can't rename presets. So don't create too many, or you'll end up with many "Custom1", "Custom2"... entries.

Ok here is the result. Looks good. From the close up looks like the bottom and top surface are more dense (layers are less visible). What do you guys think of this result???

test 4A

Looks like a good print to me!

Nice...I'm glad to hear that. I'm doing another one without any adjustments to see if I can get the same results. If I do, then I will try different object. Maybe cylinder or a triangle.

Cubes are easy. It's time to print something "real". Print something needed for work.

Problems you will have next:

Large parts shrink and lift off the bed (easily fixed)

Overhangs (think the chin on a statue)

Slicing issues (doesn't print certain walls or sections of the print at all)

Supports (you will want to learn meshmixer some day)

Cubes are easy. It's time to print something "real". Print something needed for work.

Problems you will have next:

Large parts shrink and lift off the bed (easily fixed)

Overhangs (think the chin on a statue)

Slicing issues (doesn't print certain walls or sections of the print at all)

Supports (you will want to learn meshmixer some day)

Any suggestions? Maybe you have something I could print next???

Challenge accepted gr5...If you will not hear from me that means I failed hahaha... just kidding I will let you know soon...thanks for the site thingiverse...

Thingiverse (and Youmagine.com) - the mother of all time sinks für 3D printing enthusiasts. One tip, on Thingiverse look at the "most popular" category.

Oh my... 8 hours print... Well its on now... Its printing and surprisingly its printing ok now... I will let it run over night and I will let you guys know tomorrow morning with results and pictures...to be continued...

What? So long? That's way too long.

Which settings did you use?

I have used the same settings that on the test cubes (the last one)

Would you mind posting the settings here? If you did not went with layer height below 0.1 or speed below 10, I can't find a combination that takes so long.

It should take 1-2 hours at most.

Good morning.

Another day of trials. This time I will adjust the top/bottom layer to 1.2 the same as the walls. Print speed and bottom layer speed I will put to 30mm/s and the travel speed @250mm/s also added back the brim layer. So let see how this one will look. Since I want to keep the settings of the head temp @ 230 and bed temp @ 60 is there a way to set these permanently, instead of changing in on the fly?

I do have the layer of 0.1

Weird, with your settings I get an estimate of 5.4 hours. And you don't need much infill. 15% hould be enough.

Layer 0.1

Shell 1.2

tob/bottom layer 1.2

fill 20%

print speed 30mm/s

platform brim

initial layer 0.2

travel speed 250mm/s

bottom layer 30 mm/s

infill speed 0.0

minimal layer time 5 sec

wierd now the printer shows 12 hours remaining....wait it fluctuate between remaining time left wierd

now it shows 4 hours left... go figure it out hahaha... next time i will just measure the time myself

Yes that's "normal". When you slice the model in Cura, take not of the time it shows there. With the latest versions it got more and more acurate. Worst case - double the time shown.

Travel speed is way too high. I think the default is 150mm/s. 250mm/s is the limit - not a good idea for a torture test where quality is top priority. Also three shells (shell 1.2) is too much imho. 0.8 should be enough.

yes in the cura was about 5 hours. The default travel speed was 150 yes I changed per illuminarti's advice. I will lover it next time. I went higher in top/bottom thickness because it was showing "bubbles" on the print over the infill...I could go down to 0.8 on the walls but I will like to keep 1.2 on tob/bottom.

Top/bottom is perfectly fine, just too many shells won't do any good. Expecially for an object that doesn't need structural integrity but is just for looks :)