Adding Flashforge Dreamer as a printer

Posted · Adding Flashforge Dreamer as a printer

I recently switched to using Cura from Slic3r and have been having some difficulties adding my Flashforge Dreamer as a printer. So far I have looked for an existing definition and found Egon's version that he had made for a previous version of Cura. I managed to get their version to work on Cura 4.11 briefly before the 4.12 version came out however after updating the printer definition shoed as corrupted. Since then I have found the Dreamer NX profile to work for my printer but doesn't allow for using my second extruder. I have tried to copy and edit the .json files to allow for adding a second extruder without corrupting the existing Dreamer NX profile that exists in Cura but all my efforts return as the new definitions being 'corrupted.' I have also tried to make a version of the printer as a custom printer but needed to fun several post scripts to tweak the g code when slicing a model in order to change the nozzle temperatures correctly. Can someone help me be able to print with my printer?

Printer definition files tell Cura how to set up for the particular machine.  If a printer has multiple extruders it must say so in the definition file and then in the Extruders folder there must be an extruder definition file for each possible extruder.  If you have copied your Flashforge definition file into Cura's "resources\definitions" folder then go into the 4.11\resources\extruders" folder and copy the FlashForge extruder files into the correct folder in the new version of Cura.  One file might be "flashforge_dreamernx_extruder_0.def.json" and the second might be "flashforge_dreamernx_extruder_1.def.json".

This has come up before around here.  If you search for FlashForge on this forum you will find what other people have done.

I copy and pasted all the related files that it saved from 4.11 into 4.12 and the printer doesn't appear as a printer in Cura, but I get no error messages either. 

However, I was able to modify the .json files to add a second extruder. I had failed to notice the commas when copy and pasting pieces from working definitions and have gotten my printer to print using Octoprint, I haven't messed with it enough to say whether this is required.

Thank you for your help, I did look back at the previous discussions and learned about a different dreamer profile which didn't seem to work for me. It also showed me that I had used too specific of keywords when searching about this issue previously.