Printer Head Crash ! does anyone have link to part manual

powerfuluk

Posted · Printer Head Crash ! does anyone have link to part manual

Our s5 has been busy printing 24 hours a day for months now without an issue but yesterday had a meltdown !

I arrived at the machine to see it banging its head against the print plate repeatedly !

Turns out the nozzle had somehow got blocked and the plastic was dispensing under the cover and eventually forced the front cover down and then this caught on the print baseplate.

This has raised a few questions -

- if the printer could see it was not getting to the correct location to print why did it keep printing material ?

- If the printer could see it was not getting to the correct location why did it not stop instead of just repeatedly banging its own head into the base plate ?

- Is there anywhere i can get an exploded parts view as o need a couple of new parts

2022-01-01 16.29.07.jpg

Sorry to hear that you got a flooded head.

To answer your questions:

There is no check if the printer is in the correct position, so he cannot detect if the location. The printer knows its position from the initial homing, and from there he just "counts" the steps in each direction. If he missed some steps, it will not recognized by the printer.

There is no public service manual or part list, but your reseller has everything you need. Just give him a call.

Hi Smithy - thanks for the reply - I find it hard to believe that the machine does not know it has hit an obstacle - the behaviour seemed to indicate that the motors hit some sort of "overcurrent" and then went back. Anyway I hope Ultimaker can consider this failure mode and work out some protection for this. We have 3 machines and we are printing part for sale and promote Ultimaker on out Youtube channel ( with 100K subscribers )

Its a real shame Ultimaker do not publish the diagrams and part numbers of the machine so people can quickly and easily fix them.... especially with the "right to repair" social movement.

A flooded head usually happens when the part came loose and the print head drags the part around the build plate. A worn out silicon nozzle cover is also not much helpful in such a situation, so check them regularly and replace a damaged one.

I haven't read the whole article you are referring to, but all spare parts are available to buy and you are also allowed to replace these parts. Just a repair manual is not available for the public.

And I cannot say ff this behavior is complying or not the right to repair law, I don't work for Ultimaker, so I can just give you technical hints and give you best practices from an user point of view.