UltiTuner, a tool to tweak your printer

Smithy

Posted · UltiTuner, a tool to tweak your printer

Because you have edited your question, here again that my answer is not confusing others:

"Is Ultituner compatible with firmware 7.0.4?"

I think so, but I have not updated my printers yet to test it. 

There were no major changes in 7.0.4 so I don't expect any problems and the few files which Ultituner touches or uses for the functionality, were not changed with new firmware updates for a long time.

But you can just try it, Ultituner checks before a change, for each function, if it is compatible or not. If the check fails, you just get a message that it is not compatible to avoid any problems. 

6 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Because you have edited your question, here again that my answer is not confusing others:

"Is Ultituner compatible with firmware 7.0.4?"

I think so, but I have not updated my printers yet to test it. 

There were no major changes in 7.0.4 so I don't expect any problems and the few files which Ultituner touches or uses for the functionality, were not changed with new firmware updates for a long time.

But you can just try it, Ultituner checks before a change, for each function, if it is compatible or not. If the check fails, you just get a message that it is not compatible to avoid any problems. 

Oops, my bad. I didn't realize you had replied before editing my question. Thanks again for your help.

• 3 weeks later...

its on an S5. I tried them all...

Thanks, I will test it with mine, I am still on an older firmware, so maybe that's the issue.

• Like 1

Smithy,

I ran into something today that your tool might help with. I got a spool of Ultimaker Nylon that had a blank rfid tag. So... I want to force the printer to have a particular material in a particular slot. 

Ultimaker lists all the fdm materials they have defined for rfid tags officially in their github. 

Is there anyway to have your tool be able to "push" the right material to a particular slot like it has been loaded and the rfid tag read properly?

This would be really cool when we find a third party filament that works great with some already defined filiment's settings, but that aren't 'generic'. Plus it would let us define our own special filament definitions too.

Try looking up SpoolMaker on GitHub. You can make your own RFID tags, change the contents of existing tags, etc. Should do everything you want.

@Super_paulie

Ok, I upgraded today my printers and tested the UltiTuner with v7.1 on the S3 and the S5. 

Everything is working, except the commands cooldown and safetotouch (both commands are doing basically the same in the background). The reason is that UM removed the check about the bed temperature completely from the file, because they changed the behavior in 7.1 to not wait for a specific temperature.

From the release notes:

Skip cooldown. At the end of a print (when finished or aborted), the Confirm removal option will be available immediately, without waiting for the build plate to cool down. This improves the end-of-print workflow and allows the next print job to be started faster.

So with firmware 7.1 you should get out of the box the same behavior as before with the UltiTuner.

• Thanks 1

@kayakbabe

I usually just use the generic material instead of the UM material profile. They are the same, but you just have to take care that when you load UM nylon without auto detection and load it manually and select Nylon, then you have to choose in Cura the Generic Nylon and not the UM one. Otherwise you will get a notice that you have the wrong material loaded.

But, this workflow has some disadvantages when you are using a material station and that's why @rachael7 recommended the way to use your own nfc tags which should work better with a material station. I don't have a material station so cannot say anything about it.

I am not sure how difficult it is to "fake" a loaded material, unfortunately I cannot test it without a material station. But I also think that it is not very comfortable when you load a new material and then have to run UltiTuner to override the material type. But I will look into it when I have more time, maybe it's an easy thing, but I cannot promise anything.

Posted (edited) · UltiTuner, a tool to tweak your printer
    On 9/3/2022 at 9:50 AM, Smithy said:

But, this workflow has some disadvantages when you are using a material station and that's why @rachael7 recommended the way to use your own nfc tags which should work better with a material station.

This really is the bottom line. There's honestly no point trying to spoof a material in software, with all the inherent risks and effort, when it is dead easy to just make your own RFID spool tags or respool your filament onto empty UM spools and reprogram the existing tag. Using SpoolMaker to effect this method, you have complete control and can make non-UM materials behave just like UM materials, as far as the Material Station is concerned. I use it extensively, since I make heavy use of non-UM materials, and there is absolutely no difference in the workflow, regardless of the filament manufacturer. It also only takes moments to program/reprogram an RFID tag, so it is convenient as well as reliable. The single drawback I have noticed, after using this method for close to a year, is that if you use your own RFID tags, they will only read when the tag is within the antenna of the material station (the little divider between material spools, at the bottom of the Material Station). So you have to rotate your spools to get the tag in the right position to get them to read. That is not a problem with reprogrammed UM spools, of course, and it is barely even an inconvenience with new tags.

Edited by rachael7
    Spelling
    • Like 1

Posted (edited) · UltiTuner, a tool to tweak your printer

Hi, I have just updated UMS5 with latest Firmware, 7.1.0 and found that I am unable to switch off the active leveling. 

Edited by viktor_b

Can you please post the whole output of the tool, including the command line.

c:\\Ulti\ultituner leveling off -p 10.49.205.77
    UltiTuner 0.8.0 - Copyright by Smithy (Christian Schmied)
    Connecting to the printer 10.49.205.77.....done, connected
    --------------------
    Ultimaker-245887
    model: 214475 213482 5078167
    version: 7.1.3
    --------------------
    Checking printer/firmware compatibility.....done, compatible
    Disabling active leveling.....done, turned OFF
    IMPORTANT: Do a manual leveling from the printer menu before you start your first print job!

Thanks, so everything seems fine here.

Have you restarted your printer after the change?

no, I was not sure if it is needed.

Yes it is, you can also use the restart command from Ultituner.

I am also getting the "not compatible"- error.

I'm running an S5 with air manager and material station.

However, the "restart" command seems to run without issue.

Any Ideas?

C:\>C:/ut/ultituner cooldown off -p 10.2.152.186
    UltiTuner 0.8.0 - Copyright by Smithy (Christian Schmied)
    Connecting to the printer 10.2.152.186.....done, connected
    --------------------
    UM-S5
    model: 214476 213483
    version: 7.1.3
    --------------------
    Checking printer/firmware compatibility.....done, but not compatible

Yes, there is no need to use UltiTuner anymore for the cooldown thing, UM has implemented a feature in the firmware to skip it. Therefore they also removed the part in the file where UltiTuner changed the temperature in previous firmware versions.

And that's the reason why you get the error message. I should implement a better message that says, not needed anymore with your firmware version or something like that.

• Like 1
    • Thanks 1

Thanks for the info!

Could you tell me where to access this feature?

You should see a button to skip the cool down phase after your job has finished. There is nothing you can configure in the printers menu, just the skip button at the end of a print.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Smithy said:

You should see a button to skip the cool down phase after your job has finished. There is nothing you can configure in the printers menu, just the skip button at the end of a print.

Unfortunately I could not find this button after my print was finished, and it still seemed to wait until everything was cooled down. Is it possible the material station is blocking this option?

The material station similarly blocks other functionality like manually extruding from the printer menu (the "move" command), or manual temperature setting mid-print when paused. This is especially annoying when mid-print extrusion errors show up and I would like to do a hotfix.

Could these possibly be added to Ultituner?

Alternatively it would be pretty useful for my situation to be able to directly send G-codes to the printer using this program.

17 minutes ago, mc_inventor said:

The material station similarly blocks other functionality like manually extruding from the printer menu (the "move" command), or manual temperature setting mid-print when paused. This is especially annoying when mid-print extrusion errors show up and I would like to do a hotfix.

Could these possibly be added to Ultituner?

Yes, I guess that is the reason why you don't see the button. The material station has some strange behavior and limited functionality, but I think that is needed for some reason, but I don't know why. I guess it is needed to retract and form a nice tip on the filament that unloading and loading works without any issues. I don't have a material station, so it is hard, nearly impossible to implement some "hacks" for it, because I don't have any insider information, it is just try and error until it works or not.

Regarding gcode, you can do it that way:

ssh ultimaker@<printer_ip>

Password = ultimaker

You get a special shell in which you can do a 

sendgcode <your gcode comes here>

More info about that here:

• Thanks 1

Hi Smithy,

My IT dept. will not let this be downloaded as it was flagged by VirusTotal for malware. 

image.thumb.png.87af5ea13f4cc8df30591783c34dd9b5.png