Ultimaker 2+ Connect - Weird extrusion behaviour before prime

kupfeli

Posted · Ultimaker 2+ Connect - Weird extrusion behaviour before prime

For some reason, my Ultimaker 2+ Connect starts to spit out some material before it starts the priming process (the little priming blob).

So a strand of about 10 cm (sometimes even 20 cm) comes out and then the printer starts the priming. This is terribly annoying, as I need

to manually remove that material before the blob.

Is this normal behaviour, or does it have to do with some kind of over-pressure in the nozzle that makes it push out some material?

Sometimes it doesn't happen, but most of the time it does unfortunately.

I don't think you mean the prime blob itself, the little piece in the front left corner which can be disabled in Cura (setting prime blob), you mean that material come out before that, right?

Do you use your own start/end gcode in Cura?

It could be that you missed the final retract of the filament and therefore the pressure is too high that during the heat up some material oozes from the nozzle. 

I use default settings and think I never have seen this issue or when then even just a cm or so.

10 minutes ago, Smithy said:

One more thing:

We talk about PLA or something else? For example PETG oozes much more than PLA.

Yep, PLA! Hmmm, well I used default settings for Ultimaker PLA White and only changed layer height settings and speeds actually. It is weird.
    Unfortunately now I have a much bigger problem, my heatbed is not heating up enough anymore and the cooling down hangs. Maybe a sensor defect or loose wires or something, annoying, probably have to take some things apart 😞
    Already did a factory reset, did not help unfortunately.

4 hours ago, Smithy said:

Whats about your Cura profile? Default, without any own start/end GCodes?

Yep is also just a default profile.

I will remove the heatbed and check the cables as once described by gr5 and hopefully there is just a loose cable or some soldering that is broken

Ok the weird behavior is gone and the bed temperature is good again!

what I did: retighten cables also on the marlin board, removed cura and all configuration and installed cura 4.13. Everything fine again, phew!

Good to hear you are back in business printing 🙂 

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker 2+ Connect - Weird extrusion behaviour before prime
    39 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Good to hear you are back in business printing 🙂 

Yes I thought so to, but I was happy prematurely 😞

slicing in cura using Griffin as the gcode flavor does not generate bed heating up code, only comments are added that probably get interpreted (bed temperature comments), but only simplify3d gives me consistent results now 😞
    Griffin is the flavor i should use for the Ultimaker 2+ Connect though …

Ok, so now I understand that Griffin flavor lets the machine retrieve the bed temperature from the material profile set in the printer. That is probably where I made the mistake.

I will just use marlin or reprap flavour, to prevent the machine from using the incorrect bed temp when I forgot to set the correct material

Edited by kupfeli

Griffin should work, it is working fine with my UM2+C printer:

image.thumb.png.72383c7a5eec37a017cfa00c1c58c6d3.png

22 hours ago, Smithy said:

Griffin should work, it is working fine with my UM2+C printer:

image.thumb.png.72383c7a5eec37a017cfa00c1c58c6d3.png

I had exactly the same settings and in the printer I selected Ultimaker PLA White, but the bed was only heated to about room temperature I would say.

That is something I am really missing on the Ultimaker 2+ Connect: there is no function in the menu to set or display the current bed temperature.

So yeah, only Marlin and reprap is working for me now and I insert the G280 manually if I want to prime.

I also did a factory reset, but that didnt help, maybe there is something wrong with the material profiles stored on the printer, but a factory reset should have fixed that I guess.

Last thing I am trying is selecting Generic PLA in Cura and on the printer and then hopefully it works.

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker 2+ Connect - Weird extrusion behaviour before prime

Could someone please help me out?

So the problem I have does not have anything to do with the gcode flavour. My heatbed simply sometimes heats up and most of the times it doesnt.

I checked all the cables, also on the mainboard. All is correct, but still the bed does not heat up, only to room temperature.

Also adding gcode commands to manually heat the bed dont work.

Is there anything I can do? Add a connector somewhere and read out information from the board? Debug something? I also wrote the diagnose log files to disk, nothing weird.

Please help!! Thank you 🙂

Edited by kupfeli