Issue Running Cura from Source on Windows

ZacharyHowell

Posted (edited) · Issue Running Cura from Source on Windows

I am currently making my way through the library compilation detailed in the "Running Cura from Source on Windows" article of the Wiki.

I seem to have hit a snag at Pynest2D. Attached you may find the error I receive in the VS2019 Terminal when I attempt to complete step 5.

Anybody have ideas as to how to best proceed? Thanks!

CuraPynest2DError.log

Edited by ZacharyHowell

Posted · Issue Running Cura from Source on Windows

"Unsupported MSVC version"

The problem seems to be that you're using a compiler that isn't supported. It's been a while since I created a setup for windows, but it seems that you're using MSVC 2022, whereas the instructions indicate that you need to use the 2019 version.

• Like 1

I think the 2015 should be removed, it's been a long time since we actually build with that.

From the article:

Microsoft Visual Studio 2019 (recommended install)

When I tried to build with 2022 I had therefore to install MSVC v142 -- 2019 which you have unchecked.

• 2 weeks later...

Hm, I didn't _think_ we'd need pthread on Windows for the nmake bits (though mingw compiled stuff will need it).

It might just be checking if the file exist though. (Since I also see you're in debug mode, but I don't think we ever build libnest2d in debug mode on Windows since it's mostly an external dependency.) Since you're building full Cura, including the engine though, you probably have at least the pthread header on your system though.

Alternatively (depending on what you're trying to achieve), if neither switching to Release or including the pthread header works, you could also continue without py/libnest2d (for now). Cura won't be able to arrange stuff on the buildplate properly, but the rest should work.

I've got a few follow-up questions. Sorry in advance for how basic they might be.

1. How can you tell I'm in debug mode? How would I switch out of it?
    2. When you say "Switch to release," what exactly do you mean?
    3. How would I "include the pthread header?"

Thanks!

15 hours ago, ZacharyHowell said:
    1. How can you tell I'm in debug mode? How would I switch out of it?

The instructions already tell you to tell cmake to not use debug mode (-DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release). You need to doublecheck that that is in the command line option when building it

On 2/11/2022 at 2:23 AM, nallath said:

The instructions already tell you to tell cmake to not use debug mode (-DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release).

I'm receiving the error in Step 5 of the Pynest2D compilation. The instructions don't direct me to use that flag until Step 10.

On 2/10/2022 at 2:02 AM, rburema said:

Since you're building full Cura, including the engine though, you probably have at least the pthread header on your system though.

How would I get the pthread header on my system?

On 2/10/2022 at 2:02 AM, rburema said:

Alternatively (depending on what you're trying to achieve), if neither switching to Release or including the pthread header works

What do you mean by "switching to release?"

What do you guys make of this section of the log in particular?

-- Initializing/Updating RequirePackage repository cache
    -- -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    CMake Warning:
      Ignoring extra path from command line:

C:/dev/libnest2d/cmake_modules/../external

CMake Error: The source directory "C:/dev/libnest2d/build/rp_packages_build" does not appear to contain CMakeLists.txt.
    Specify --help for usage, or press the help button on the CMake GUI.
    CMake Error at cmake_modules/RequirePackage.cmake:153 (message):
      CMake step for Clipper failed: 1
    Call Stack (most recent call first):
      cmake_modules/RequirePackage.cmake:249 (download_package)
      include/libnest2d/backends/clipper/CMakeLists.txt:3 (require_package)

14 hours ago, ZacharyHowell said:

What do you guys make of this section of the log in particular?

-- Initializing/Updating RequirePackage repository cache
    -- -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    CMake Warning:
      Ignoring extra path from command line:

C:/dev/libnest2d/cmake_modules/../external

CMake Error: The source directory "C:/dev/libnest2d/build/rp_packages_build" does not appear to contain CMakeLists.txt.
    Specify --help for usage, or press the help button on the CMake GUI.
    CMake Error at cmake_modules/RequirePackage.cmake:153 (message):
      CMake step for Clipper failed: 1
    Call Stack (most recent call first):
      cmake_modules/RequirePackage.cmake:249 (download_package)
      include/libnest2d/backends/clipper/CMakeLists.txt:3 (require_package)

Uuh. That's pretty weird...

I've only tried to setup the build for Cura on windows once, and by following the instructions exactly it worked for me. But I do have to say that doing it for Linux is a lot easier.

After the 5.0 release we are planning to do some major overhaul for our build system, as it's way to complicated right now.