Cura program leveling issue?

Solris

Posted · Cura program leveling issue?

I recently bought a new 3D printer(A CR-10). The supplies included a microSD that was already loaded with the slicer program I needed to slice STL files. However Ultimaker Cura has alot more options and tools available to use, so I much rather use that.

However, when I slice my programs on Cura and begin to print, the nozzle sticks too close to the bed and ruins the print within a matter of seconds. Thing is, I don't know entirely if its a leveling issue or a software issue. Importing the same STL file onto my Creality Slicer and printing it comes out just fine. I don't understand why Ultimaker Cura tries to print so close to the bed while my other slicer doesn't force itself down all the way. Is there a setting that's messing with it? Is there any way I can tell the program to offset by a few mm(s)?

Posted · Cura program leveling issue?

The Creality slicer itself is an early version of Cura with some cosmetic changes to make it look different.

The Creality definition files within this version (the official Ultimaker version up to 4.13.1) are essentially all the same except for the build plate size.  All those definition files were submitted to Ultimaker for inclusion into Cura by either Creality or by the author of the files (who is noted as "Trouch.com").   

Neither the Creality version nor the Ultimaker version ever tell a printer to go below "Initial Layer Height".  If the bed is properly leveled and is at Z=0 then the nozzle should never hit it.  (That should be true for any slicer.)

But if you have an ABL then things may be different.  The ABL command in the StartUp Gcode that calls the firmware routine to check the bed may need some parameters adjusted (like the Z-Offset).

If you slice a calibration cube with both slicers and then post both of the gcode files here then a comparison may give a clue as to what is going on.  Also let us know what ABL setup (BLTouch, CRTouch, whatever) might be on the printer.

My printer is an Ender 3Pro that I manually level with my trusty piece of parchment paper.  I've never had a problem with it hitting the bed and I've never seen a Cura gcode file (either Creality or Ultimaker) with negative Z values.