Export printing time for multiple printers

paulonasc7

Posted · Export printing time for multiple printers

Hello everyone,

I'm working on a concept of crowdsourced fabrication using 3D printers. Something similar to Makexyz for example, but not quite the same. Right now I want to upload a .stl file and allow the users to choose something basic, like layer height, and export the printing time. This part is ok because I can get the printing time from gcode (as long as I tell Cura what is the printer that I'm using so it can create the gcode). However, supposing I have many different 3D printers available, I would like to have the printing time for all the printers, which means I probably need the gcode file for all the printers, even though in the end I'll only use one of them, but I need this data to make some assignment decisions. Then there might also exist some compatibility problems between the layer height chosen and the printers available, but for now I'm ignoring that.

I was wondering if it is possible to use Cura from source code and run it in "loop" for the many different printers, so I can store the printing time data in a dataframe or something like that. Or if there is any easier way to do it. Does anyone have any idea? Thanks in advance!

8 hours ago, paulonasc7 said:

I was wondering if it is possible to use Cura from source code and run it in "loop" for the many different printers, so I can store the printing time data in a dataframe or something like that. Or if there is any easier way to do it. Does anyone have any idea? Thanks in advance!

You don't need to run it from source  to do that. Cura has a very extensive plugin system that you could use for that, but it would require a fair amount of python coding to achieve that.

You could also try to run the engine without the frontend, which would mean you have to do more stuff yourself, but it does give you more freedom (both in what is possible and what coding language you use to achieve that)

It's about time there was something here that the VB guy is good at.

When slicing a model with Cura the gcode always starts with:

;FLAVOR:MARLIN
    ;TIME:9162
    ;Filament used: 10.775m

You could build a macro in Excel that would:

• Select multiple gcode files at once.
    • Iterate through those gcode files and open each with
      • Set fs = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
      • Set gcode_file = fs.OpenTextFile(ImportFileName, 1, False)
    • Pull the print times out (and maybe the filament used?) and plug the numbers into a spreadsheet.
    • If you have an idea of a fudge factor for each printer (Printer1 is always takes 10% longer, Printer2 is always 3% quicker, etc.) then that would be noted in columns for each printer.
    • You could add a dialog box for "If I start THIS FILE at THIS TIME on THIS PRINTER then when will it finish?".
    • Like 1

@nallath just to make sure I understood. Your 1st suggestion is to develop a plugin that do what I want, and your 2nd suggestion is to run Cura Engine (https://github.com/Ultimaker/CuraEngine), is that right? If so, your 2nd suggestion sounds very good, I think I'll follow that one, though I'll be probably using Python as coding language either way.

@GregValiant I think you just solved my next problem, thank you!! Once I have the gcode files I'll certainly do that!