Models from Blender require 10k% scale up

Aymi1

Posted · Models from Blender require 10k% scale up

I've gone through a dozen old topics on this, mostly from 2016 it seems. I created the object in Blender using mm as the unit for length, it is in metric, and the object is roughly 78x20mm in size. However when I export the stl, and import it into cura, it is scaled up 10,000%, and I'm just curious how to resolve this so I can have the items at the size I intend to print them at exactly, with confidence.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated

Coordinates in STL files don't have a unit. Cura assumes the unit is mm, but if Blender put your models with a different unit scale in the file, then there is no way for Cura to know this. I am not familiar enough with Blender to tell you what unit Blender assumes for an STL if you change the unit for the scene from m to mm. From what happens I think it converts the units back to meters upon export.

The Mesh Tools plugin (see the Marketplace) has an option to scale models from "unitless filetypes" such as STL upon load. It will do this in a way that the model ends up bigger (or smaller), but still at 100% (ie: it actually scales the coordinates). Alternatively you can apply the scale in Blender in the export to STL dialog.

• Like 1

I have applied the scale, and I have also tried changing the blender properties to m instead of mm, but I still get the same scaling event.

I'm not sure how to give the STL in the correct size then, as the file was from the ground up built in mm, exported in mm, and is saved in mm. 

Very confused as to the cause and have not been able to find a sufficiently helpful answer to how to solve this =(

• 2 weeks later...

I see this notice on .STL files from Blender 3.1 but not Blender 2.7.

It happens in Cura 4.11 and 4.13.

The prints are the right size.

I'm using the Blender Mesh-3D-Print add-on in both 2.7 and 3.1.

Puzzling!

• 2 weeks later...