Ultimaker Cura 5.0 beta

fvrmr

Posted · Ultimaker Cura 5.0 beta

I decided to try 5.0. I have a LulzBot Mini 2 printer, so I am coming from the LultBot Edition (LE) of Cura.  Obviously, using the LE version, I am spoiled by the LulzBot dedicated predefined commands and having printer preconfigured, etc.

But, I forged ahead. My first attempt, I copied the Start and End G-Code changing things that appeared to be missing. But when I hit "slice" the program crashed. Sorry, didn't capture log. I believe that I left an undefined variable in the G-Code so it was "user error."

My second attempt went more smoothly. When I proceeded to print via USB, I was impressed to watch the printer wipe the nozzle, auto-level the bed, and proceed to start printing. So the modded G-Code worked!!! But 15 minutes or so into a 4.5 hour print, Cura crashed. Log attached. I did report the bug on Github.

I don't think the error was mine this time. You can read the log, but in essence there was an error converting a python object that was a float data type to a C++ object that was integer instance. It logged several pages of this error before giving up.

For the record, my system:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor, 3600 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM): 16.0 GB
...and I'm sorry to say Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 710

Also, for the record, This is my first 3D printer and I've had it less that 2 months. So I'm probably considered a nube. I am a programmer, so I was comfortable editing the G-code. Maybe I can up my rank to "intermediate?"

Thanks for listening.

cura.log

5 hours ago, ahoeben said:

There's a test build that seems to fix this issue here:

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/issues/11896#issuecomment-1114661108

Hello,

I downloaded this version and tried an 3-Hours-USB-Print. No errors! Perfect!

Only one thing: In the time of about 90% to 95% of printing the Windows-USB-disconnect and connect sound was about 10 times. First I thought - "shit - crash". But nothing else happened ???? What was this? There was no other USB-Device.

Before the update the USB-prints always crashed within 1 to 5 Minutes after start. And Cura most too.

Thank you!

• Like 1

Beta 5 errors on startup

Hi folks,

When Cura Beta 5 starts up, I get the following (non-fatal) errors:

Uninstalling errors

There were some errors uninstalling the following packages:
    -SettingsGuide2
    -CalibrationShapes

I do notice in the "packages.json" file, the following:

image.png.ac54de773222b8f8cd5f6b62080fc07d.png

I'm wondering if I can simply remove the contents between the [ ] in the "to_remove" section without ill effects...

4 minutes ago, mschoonmaker said:

Beta 5 errors on startup

Hi folks,

When Cura Beta 5 starts up, I get the following (non-fatal) errors:

Uninstalling errors

There were some errors uninstalling the following packages:
    -SettingsGuide2
    -CalibrationShapes

I do notice in the "packages.json" file, the following:

image.png.ac54de773222b8f8cd5f6b62080fc07d.png

I'm wondering if I can simply remove the contents between the [ ] in the "to_remove" section without ill effects...

You can.

Hi I have been using CURA for 5 years and have enormous admiration for the development team for this product. I am dismayed though by the new UI for version 5.0.0 as it is not user friendly or intuitive for rotating and mirroring, in fact I have yet to figure out how to use the mirror feature. The previous versions used the 3 axis rotation capability which I found intuitive and easily operable, the new version is very difficult to use properly. The mirror function on previous versions was also intuitive and easy to use whereas the new UI is so complex I have yet to make it work. Is there any possibility of having the previous version usability as an option for old duffers like me?

1 hour ago, AlTurner47 said:

The previous versions used the 3 axis rotation capability which I found intuitive and easily operable, the new version is very difficult to use properly.

What version did you use before version 5? Nothing really changed between version 4 and 5 for rotation (or for mirroring).

The previous version I used was 4.13.1, and when rotating or mirroring the UI showed 3 rings for the 3 different axes for rotation, and these have now disappeared from version 5. Similarly for mirroring there were arrows shown enabling selection of which axis you wished to mirror, version 5 shows against the 4 direction arrows boxes to enter mm which I don't understand.

There is a bug in the Cura 5 beta, that causes those handles not to render if your computer does not support OpenGL 4.1. You will be pleased to hear that those handles will be restored in the final Cura 5.0 release.

• Like 1

That's great news, I thought I was going nuts!

27 minutes ago, AlTurner47 said:

I thought I was going nuts!

Well, I'm not a trained professional; you may still be going nuts 😉

• Like 1

I'm having a strange problem with Cura 5 beta. I'm trying to print out a 120mm fan guard and I'm getting some strange stringing. I checked in the slice preview and the strings are in the preview. However, when I jump back to Cura 4, the strings go away:

Am I missing a setting somewhere? Or is this supposed to be like this?

Thanks!

cura_stringing.jpg

You don't happen to have the "spiralize outer contour" setting active, do you?

6 minutes ago, ahoeben said:

You don't happen to have the "spiralize outer contour" setting active, do you?

Hi @ahoeben, thanks for the reply! Yeah, I did have spiralize turned on. I think that I was playing with it after reading on how to speed up my prints. Unfortunately, turning it off changed my print time from 1h 35m to 6h 57m! 😞

All in all though, I fairly happy with Cura 5, I can't wait until the stable version is released!

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Cura 5.0 beta

Unable to launch since Ubuntu upgrade from 21.10 to 22.04

Open Gl issue

4.13.1 works well

Has this behavior ever been seen and if yes is there a solution ?

2022-05-06_17-00.png

Edited by eugeneyale
    bad english

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Cura 5.0 beta
    On 5/6/2022 at 11:03 AM, eugeneyale said:

Unable to launch since Ubuntu upgrade from 21.10 to 22.04

Open Gl issue

4.13.1 works well

Has this behavior ever been seen and if yes is there a solution ?

2022-05-06_17-00.png

Which drivers are you using? I know in the past that I have had problems with OpenGL due to not having the proper video drivers installed. Go to Software Settings -> Additional Drivers and see if there are any drivers for your card.

Edited by zogthegreat

Why cant the prints be monitored with the video in Cura 5? I understand Octoprint needs the UI updated for it to monitor, but what about to Ultimaker printers? The video option doesn't show.

@3dprntz You can still monitor the print with the UM camera (tested with UM5). The button is still there, it's just missing its icon. You just have to remember where to click

• Like 1

hey im trying to download this program to my Samsung book2 pro, any advice on how to about this ?

12 hours ago, 3dprntz said:

The video option doesn't show.

Some buttons in Cura 5 beta 1 are missing their icon. This has been fixed for the full release of Cura 5.0

19 hours ago, zogthegreat said:

Which drivers are you using? I know in the past that I have had problems with OpenGL due to not having the proper video drivers installed. Go to Software Settings -> Additional Drivers and see if there are any drivers for your card.

Hello
    thanks for this advice
    Nvidia instead of  X.org is OK
    remains to verify that this driver is ok with other applications

image.thumb.png.1d3780b7ff5f755c6ceb02c968531c92.png

Just my experience in the first 5 min.

1. Slow UI element while selecting or scrolling. Something i really hate is a trend to make a UI fancy by fading and smooth scrolling. Please make it optional for the old people. Specially the smooth scrolling is really annoying

2. Splash screen and project summery is displayed at my secondary screen

3. Slicing engine takes more time to process

4. When selecting a different theme. Nothing happen. You need to find out by yourself to restart the application.

5. No conform button in the preference settings screen. It's also a trend not using confirm button "ok" these days. But it is still a good practice because when you mess up think you just can cancel by the "x"

I am testing cura 5.0 already more than a week on Snapmaker 2.0 A350 printer and one big issue is that printer nozzle sometimes touching model so badly that it brakes print or even moves whole bed plate. This happened already several times, also have used combing to avoid this but still same. Printing failed about 10 hours later, very disappointing  

279929345_500755451783366_8313764213287088761_n.jpg

280191674_568807884533566_3276718283309267892_n.jpg

280018080_345809314202709_8402354937317044961_n.jpg

280206966_740758700285103_4420090248439990493_n.jpg

280207908_1064285501112691_1096235454939856427_n.jpg