Ultimaker Cura 5.0 beta

fvrmr

Posted · Ultimaker Cura 5.0 beta
8 hours ago, nallath said:

What is independent support layer?

Anyhow, could you report the issues on github and provide a project file that reproduce the issue?

yeahhhh, sorry, the first one of those wasnt broken, my preview screen just was so laggy that I mistook it.
The options called support infil layer thickness tho, and yes I already took it to github after reading the last line in the OP >.<

7 hours ago, ZachRose said:

if you'd like to keep it out of this thread let me know!

That's going to be easier with a link to your source code (github?)

Try using UM.Label instead of Label. Don't specify a color or a font, that is taken care of by UM.Label. Alternatively use UM.Theme.getColor() from the theme, instead of hardcoding colors. That way your QML will work with both light and dark themes.

• Like 2

For the past week or so I've been printing thin walled boxes for electrical components.  They are the type of model that was being used as an example in the "Debut/Release" video for 5.0.  Several were done with 4.13 and Arachne Beta 2 and now with 5.0 beta.

I am impressed with the difference between prints using the new 5.0 engine and those from the 4.X versions.  Congratulations all around.  @nallath - It appears that the lawnmower actually works.

• Like 1

Problem with displaying checkboxes on mouse hover in Windows 11.

image.png.4dc90613136f8219b32365ce8542e54e.png

Also, there are many anti-alias issues, especially in the text.

Honestly, in version 5 I was expecting more improvements in the GUI, especially with different line types in the preview display. In PrusaSlicer each type of line has its own color and are easily distinguishable, in addition to a report in percentage by weight of the filament used, I would like to see it also in Cura.

1 hour ago, davideromeo said:

In PrusaSlicer each type of line has its own color and are easily distinguishable, in addition to a report in percentage by weight of the filament used, I would like to see it also in Cura.

Do you know the "Line type" color scheme? There's also an overview of printing time percentages (though no weight percentages per type). Here's a screenshot:

image.thumb.png.9c6b553abf6fe662413ad55642a169b3.png

(my Cura looks a bit different than yours probably, since I am running the Sidebar GUI plugin)

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Cura 5.0 beta

Yes, I also use Sidebar GUI. I hadn't noticed the popup, thanks.

The screen I am referring to is exactly that of "Line type" in your screenshot, it is a bit small for me who used PrusaSlicer before. This is a partial example of the line types visible in PS:

image.png.67289ba4dc7f76d41f052e39643bcd48.png

It is much easier to adjust the settings by displaying all types of lines, especially bridge, overhangs, etc.

Edited by davideromeo

Start up crash with macOS Monterey MacBook Pro M1 8GB.

Is this an known issue already and is there a solution available?

Edited by EVO88

Infill generation in the 5.0 beta seems a little off.

Version 4.12 Infill support generates nice shapes to support skin levels:

2052964404_Gearboxinfillcura4_12.thumb.jpg.661c6c3d4ad8573dbed5afcab07966d7.jpg

The beta seems to miss these infill outlines which are important to the quality of my prints.

1631345096_Gearboxinfillcura5.0beta.thumb.jpg.5c4a2d0ec655e7178313c6ddb866be0f.jpg

I have given it a try, the seam logic is messy in version 5, esp with coasting turned on, this can be seen from the preview view compared to V4, this results in a rough finish in the seam area. Also seems to crash randomly on windows 11

After using Cura for the last couple of years, I tried the beta today.

I'm a bit amazed that the material handling is still not good. I can change 6 parameters in the material dialogue, in the "print settings", but in the "print settings", using expert mode, I have 18 settings, all connected to the material. 

Profiles should handle things as quality, material should handle materials. Now it's a bit of both.

And pushing Enter closes the settings windows? Really? 

On 4/23/2022 at 5:10 PM, davideromeo said:

Problem with displaying checkboxes on mouse hover in Windows 11.

image.png.4dc90613136f8219b32365ce8542e54e.png

Also, there are many anti-alias issues, especially in the text.

Honestly, in version 5 I was expecting more improvements in the GUI, especially with different line types in the preview display. In PrusaSlicer each type of line has its own color and are easily distinguishable, in addition to a report in percentage by weight of the filament used, I would like to see it also in Cura.

We already had to re-implement 50% of what you see on the screen. At a certain point you don't want to make more changes than you already are.

But feel free to open an issue on our github with suggestions about how to improve the interface. After we're done getting 5.0 stable we will have a look at what to do next 🙂

I'm very impressed with v5 so far. I just run a wall thickness test from 0.2mm to 1.1mm in 0.1mm increments. All sliced correctly and printed very precisely. with a 0.4mm nozzle size the thin walls below 0.4mm measured about 0.35mm, but were clean, strong and consistent, impressed that they even printed to be honest. Above 0.4mm each wall was +0.02 to +0.04mm from there nominal values. Slight profile tweak and think she will be spot on 🙂

• Like 1

Cura 5.0 will not run on Windows 7. 

Cura 5.0 will not work on Windows 7. We have stopped supporting windows 7 as it isn't even supported by Windows anymore. This meant that when we stopped supporting it, we stopped testing if it worked (which also saved us a lot of time and effort). It kept working for a bit longer, but for Cura 5.0 we also switched to Python 3.10 (which is also one of the reasons why Cura 5.0's interface is much faster). Python 3.10 does not support windows 7, for the same reasons as us.

The support for windows 7 was already ended on January 14, 2020, but we even kept supporting it a bit longer. But at a certain point, we have no other choice than to stop doing so.

Updating to windows 10 is a breeze and should even be free. I would strongly recommend doing that, as windows 7 is no longer getting any security updates, which is just putting yourself at risk.

I have trouble understanding the logic of this new version.

Edited by cgolchert
    obsolete post

1 minute ago, cgolchert said:

I see your questioning the logic of the new version and question how the...rollout...no, scattered debris is more appropriate.

I jumped onto the site to grab a plugin for 4.x and for some reason they went with a scorched earth method for rolling out a -->BETA<--.  They are forcing people into the beta.  Don't want to use it? Too bad, you aren't getting any plugins for the old version because screw you.

I'd love to try the new one but there are some plugins that are part of my workflow since the base program doesn't cover all the bases.

The old plugins are still there, just not via de website. Calm down.

You can still download them as normal from Cura. There isn't a nefarious plot to "force" people into the beta or any kind of scorched earth method.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cgolchert said:

but then since you are now cheerleading the ongoing crap that microsoft is evolving

FYI, Cura runs great on ubuntu and it runs on Macs as well so they aren't microsoft fanatics.  However as you can see above, some of the libraries they are using (which make Cura run faster) don't work on win7 anymore.  The good news is that Cura from a year or two ago still works quite well.  And the older versions are still available from the main Cura download page.

• Like 1

Then don't provide a download for "64 bit Windows" that doesn't work on Windows 7.

At least publish a list of OS that are supported. 

39 minutes ago, CharlesOtt said:

At least publish a list of OS that are supported. 

Like so? https://support.ultimaker.com/hc/en-us/articles/360011889579

On the downloads page (https://ultimaker.com/software/ultimaker-cura), click on System Requirements and then follow the link about supported operating system versions.

• Like 2

On 4/25/2022 at 9:17 AM, ShogunBallistic said:

After using Cura for the last couple of years, I tried the beta today.

I'm a bit amazed that the material handling is still not good. I can change 6 parameters in the material dialogue, in the "print settings", but in the "print settings", using expert mode, I have 18 settings, all connected to the material. 

Profiles should handle things as quality, material should handle materials. Now it's a bit of both.

After the development of arachne and its implementation in Cura 5 (edit: and all the great improvements that came with both), the handling of print, printer and material parameters is my biggest issue with Cura that's left. There are profiles, intents, qualities that seem way more focussed towards filament suppliers in terms of creation, maintaining and finetuning. For the end-user, it seems that they have to dive into what setting is stored where and learn xml in the process, because the Cura interface doesn't seem to have a function for this (all custom settings are still stored in custom profiles, right?). It seems as this is historically grown and started out with just a profile for each set of parameters, and was expanded upon with "intents, qualities" etc.

For the end user, a system like in Prusaslicer or Superslicer that has separate profiles for the print, the printer and the material, it seems way more intuitive and easy to use. I'd still wish for more dependencies, e.g. having a base (print) profile that can continuously be fine tuned, and basing different profiles for different layer heights, nozzles etc on that which inherit settings from the base profile.

FWIW my use case involves a multimaterial printer with 4 different toolheads. This is a breeze in Superslicer to setup and a pain in Cura, because you have to maintain a profile for each combination of filaments, layer heights etc., as opposed to just being able to select a print and material profile from the existing list for each print head. Cura adds to the confusion (just for example) by relying on parameters such as surface tension and adhesion tendency to determine which materials and in which order to choose for the creation of the prime tower, parameters which are normally hidden and - as mentioned above - are aimed towards material suppliers to be determined in the creation of the print profiles that go onto the marketplace.

I've voiced this concern on this forum already, but since it would mean a complete remodel of the print profile system I don't really see a chance for a change... I hope to be proven wrong some day.

edit 2: I wish that some people around here would appreciate the amount of value that they receive for free in the form of a great software, instead of complaining in a rude and not respectful manner about problems that mainly arise from their own choice of hardware/software. A general rule should be: if I'm using (open source) software that I got for free, I either contribute to the improvement by pointing out bugs and issues in a respectful and orderly manner, e.g. on github, or STOP COMPLAINING!

Edited by neute
    • Like 1

Awesome updates!
    i have wonderful experience with this build.

looking forward to the release and plugins..

just found that some debugging is needed in those functions:

- Multiply-selected parts

- arrange parts 

I tried to load 5.0 beta but got a message 'This app can't run on your PC'. 

windows 10, 64-bit.

any ideas?

2 hours ago, neute said:

For the end user, a system like in Prusaslicer or Superslicer that has separate profiles for the print, the printer and the material, it seems way more intuitive and easy to use.

Cura has this, but I agree that we can make quite a lot of improvements to how we handle profiles.

2 hours ago, neute said:

I've voiced this concern on this forum already, but since it would mean a complete remodel of the print profile system I don't really see a chance for a change... I hope to be proven wrong some day.

It's not as big as people would think. Most of the issues are in the way that the profiles are shown. I think it would be possible without a fundamental change (although it will be a big UI / UX change, wich does bring problems of their own)

2 hours ago, neute said:

edit 2: I wish that some people around here would appreciate the amount of value that they receive for free in the form of a great software, instead of complaining in a rude and not respectful manner about problems that mainly arise from their own choice of hardware/software. A general rule should be: if I'm using (open source) software that I got for free, I either contribute to the improvement by pointing out bugs and issues in a respectful and orderly manner, e.g. on github, or STOP COMPLAINING!

On behalf of OS developers everywhere; Thanks.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, cgolchert said:

Even better is the F.U of:

Not every win7 is connected to the internet. but then since you are now cheerleading the ongoing crap that microsoft is evolving it shows what cura's roadmap might be.

Since you edited this after I replied: If you want to change this, feel free to contact the Python foundation and ask them to change this.

But I personally do not think that we should continue supporting a product that is EOL for over two years, since it costs us a ton of money to do so and, in this case, would actually mean that we make Cura significantly slower for all users. You're free to see this as a FU, but the alternative is a FU to all the other users.

If you would like to discuss having a Windows 7 build for Cura and a support contract, feel free to reach out. I'm sure that we will be able to find a price where we could provide a supported build for windows 7. I can't speak for everyone, but I think the community would appreciate this generous donation!