Ultimaker Cura 5.0 beta

fvrmr

Posted · Ultimaker Cura 5.0 beta
55 minutes ago, John_Mag said:

I tried to load 5.0 beta but got a message 'This app can't run on your PC'. 

windows 10, 64-bit.

any ideas?

We've had some reports from people that certain virus scanners incorrectly marked the application as a trojan. Perhaps that is what is happening for you?

4 minutes ago, nallath said:

Cura has this, but I agree that we can make quite a lot of improvements to how we handle profiles.

It's not as big as people would think. Most of the issues are in the way that the profiles are shown. I think it would be possible without a fundamental change (although it will be a big UI / UX change, wich does bring problems of their own)

if you ever want to discuss and get end-user feedback to find out what the users would like these changes to look like, I'd be happy to join this conversation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yzorg said:

just found that some debugging is needed in those functions:

- Multiply-selected parts

- arrange parts 

Could you please be more specific than that?

There's a known issue that Multiply Selected will do nothing unless you change the number. A fix for that is ready for the release version of Cura 5.0

On 4/22/2022 at 1:45 AM, jwblazek said:

Excited for release, download and installed on a Win 10 system. Attempting to submit a bug, filled in form but "SUBMIT" button doesn't submit. Verified all * fields have been filled. 

What am I missing?

Issue is with model rotation. Selecting model then rotate ICON doe snot bring up normal 3-axis field icon. Tried 4.13 immediately afterwards, same file, no problem

202.29 kB · 0 downloads

I have the same problem. Just installed. My Plugins do not work, and I cannot move or rotate with the arrows because there are no arrows!

Back to 4.x!

4 minutes ago, Lupus52 said:

I have the same problem. Just installed. My Plugins do not work, and I cannot move or rotate with the arrows because there are no arrows!

Back to 4.x!

The plugins need a bit of time until they are updated, the arrows have been fixed for the final release. Thanks for taking the time to test it (even if you didn't manage to get far...) 🙂

7 minutes ago, nallath said:

The plugins need a bit of time until they are updated, the arrows have been fixed for the final release. Thanks for taking the time to test it (even if you didn't manage to get far...) 🙂

The missing arrows make the program unusable for me. So I wasted 2 hours pointlessly with installation, trying and deinstallation 😞

I downloaded and installed it, but I'm going back to version 4.13.

It's a resource hog.  It was sucking up 48% of my CPU, and as I have 9 printers and like to have an instance of CURA open for each printer so that I can tell at a glance what's on what printer without having to get up and walk around, I can't afford to have my computer slowed down so much for just one instance.  With 9 instances open, my computer was using 100% of the CPU.  That won't work for me.

@Lupus52 I had the same problem.  @ahoeben did a fix that is currently waiting in line for the next release.  It was easy to do a local fix.  The problem is actually older video systems that don't support OpenGL4.1.

You would need to open (in Windows):

"C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 5.0.0\share\uranium\resources\shaders/toolhandle.shader" and change two lines as shown here on Github.

• Like 2

Not happy with latest Beta release, first install few days ago wouldn't even run. new install today, splash screen opens up on my second monitor, crashed during small print over USB. I often do long prints, can't take the risk of it crashing part way through. Gone back to using Cura 4.13.1 although it's slower than Simplify 3D which I also use.

2 hours ago, GregValiant said:

@Lupus52 I had the same problem.  @ahoeben did a fix that is currently waiting in line for the next release.  It was easy to do a local fix.  The problem is actually older video systems that don't support OpenGL4.1.

"C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 5.0.0\share\uranium\resources\shaders/toolhandle.shader" and change two lines as shown here on Github.

Thank you - but it is not my work to bring a program working. I will wait until it is ready. Prusa works very well without any problems. So I have two working programs. Cura 4.13 and Prusa.

• Like 1

Keep in mind that if you download a Beta version of any program you are taking a risk that it will have bugs that you care about.  The benefit is that users are listened to more heavily during the brief beta period.  And that you get to feel proud about being a contributor to making a product better.

If you just want a working program, definitely avoid all beta versions!

Hallo

Ich habe einen Tenlog tl-d3 pro.

Jetzt bin ich von Cura 14 auf Cura 5 umgestiegen, mein Problem, meine Profile gehen alle nicht mehr.

Genauso meine Drucker Konfiguration des Druckers wird mit einer Fehlermeldung angezeigt.

Ich bekomme Fehlermeldung das mein Profil nicht funktioniert und das die Plugins nicht gehen.

die Profile habe ich alle gelöscht aber beim nächsten Start kommt die Meldung wieder.

bei den Plugins gehe ich auf uninstall danach bringt das Cura zwar, bitte neu starten, aber beim nächsten Start kommt wieder die gleiche Meldung.

Meine Frage wie kann ich die Fehlermeldung abstellen? 

wo bekomme ich ein neuer Druckerkonfiguration?

da ich das Plugin Cylinderic Custom Support super finde, Würde ich es gerne wieder haben.

gruß

Hi

I have a tenlog tl-d3 pro.

Now I switched from Cura 14 to Cura 5, my problem, none of my profiles work anymore.

Just like my printer configuration of the printer is displayed with an error message.

I get an error message that my profile doesn't work and that the plugins don't work.

I deleted all the profiles but the next time I start the message comes back.

in the plugins I go to uninstall then brings the Cura, please restart, but the next time you start the same message again.

My question is how can I turn off the error message?

where can I get a new printer configuration?

Since I think the Cylinderic Custom Support plugin is great, I would like to have it again.

greeting

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Cura 5.0 beta

Hi, one thing which made my life complicated with the new version -

used OS is Linux (Kubuntu 21.10) :

- Font size on a 4K screen tooo small. The work around I found for Version 4.5 (put a themes.json file ...) is basically applicable, but now the font color is "light grey" and not easily to read. Is there any documentation how to make an own theme ?

Edited by ndimensional

16 hours ago, GregValiant said:

Thank you - it works 🙂

2 hours ago, ndimensional said:

Hi, one thing which made my life complicated with the new version -

used OS is Linux (Kubuntu 21.10) :

- Font size on a 4K screen tooo small. The work around I found for Version 4.5 (put a themes.json file ...) is basically applicable, but now the font color is "light grey" and not easily to read. Is there any documentation how to make an own theme ?

The same trick should work. The themes.json file also contains font sizes.

I've noticed that the print speed of inner walls seem much faster than specified in Cura. For my current print I have outer walls at 30, inner walls at 40 and infill at 50, but I can swear that the inner walls print much faster than the infill. Never noticed this in previous releases. The inner wall speed seem rediculously fast even though it's only at 40 in Cura. From the looks of it I'd guess it's closer to 70-80 instead of 40. All other print speeds seem to match what I enter in Cura.

Is there something that I'm missing or could this be a bug?

1 hour ago, 43915 said:

I've noticed that the print speed of inner walls seem much faster than specified in Cura. For my current print I have outer walls at 30, inner walls at 40 and infill at 50, but I can swear that the inner walls print much faster than the infill. Never noticed this in previous releases. The inner wall speed seem rediculously fast even though it's only at 40 in Cura. From the looks of it I'd guess it's closer to 70-80 instead of 40. All other print speeds seem to match what I enter in Cura.

Is there something that I'm missing or could this be a bug?

Does the layerview show anything interesting? There are a number of views there that might help figuring out what's going on.

Could you post a project file? That would help us debug it.

If you print something long and skinny like a pencil-laying-flat shape the infill will be slower because due to the acceleration value it never gets up to full speed yet the sides of the "pencil" will print blazingly fast in comparison.  Could that be it?  Check the actual speeds as nallath suggests in the views - there is a view that shows speed (using colors) I think.

Well, this is a bit embarassing. Using the speed layerview I realized that the part of the print that I referred to as infill was in fact the top/bottom layers, which I had previously lowered the speed of quite a bit. That's why the inner wall seemed so fast compared to it. But at least I learned that there's such a thing as speed layerview, have never used that before! Thank you for helping me clear it out.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, nallath said:

The same trick should work. The themes.json file also contains font sizes.

Well, the size is ok but the color .... instead of being black it a very light gray. And the rest of the GUI is also not very rich in contrast. Seems that it switches als to - when using this theme file - light background etc...

6 hours ago, Lupus52 said:

Thank you - it works 🙂

Ok - move-arrows are now available.

But USB printing doesn't work!

I had hoped for better USB handling than before. It's been awful so far and a shame on the programmers.

And now it doesn't work anymore. USB printing is offered. When I start it takes the usual amount of time to reach temperatures. Then the print starts with the brim. After a few centimetres, it stops, always wobbles back and forth on the spot and happily dribbles filament. Then he continues and repeats this 2 times.
    See photo: Start is bottom left, then CCW goes right and up. There is the first "missing place", then further to the left the 2nd place and to the left below for the 3rd time.

This error is traceable with any test print. Only the spots where it happens and how often it happens vary randomly. When I print to SD, the Gcode is fine and prints correctly. I suspect a USB interface handling problem.

Which doesn't surprise me either, considering this sloppy USB handling thing! I'll skip the details because nobody cares anyway. I've complained about this before. USB is said to be dead.

20220427_165305.jpg

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Cura 5.0 beta

USB Printing is a sore spot with a lot of users.  The plugin essentially has not been touched in years.  The reason is that no Ultimaker printers use it.  As I understand it - the reason for that is because it's dicey at best and prone to errors.  Pronterface is really no better.  Maybe you'd have better luck with Repetier Host?  Octoprint / RaspPI are a much better choice to print remotely.  Cura has a plugin for that (I think it's been updated for 5.0).

I am a complete amateur at programming but I've written some software for transmitting data over USB and serial ports and so I tried my hand at sending prints over the USB.  After a couple of days of putzing with it, all the code went right into the toilet.

It boiled down to this...

A straight line extrusion 200mm long at 50mm/sec takes 4 seconds.  That's one line of gcode eaten by the printer/planner every 4 seconds.

A circle with a circumference of 200mm at 50mm/sec needs a minimum of around 200 lines of gcode in 4 seconds and at a high resolution maybe 400 lines of gcode in 4 seconds.

So the timing of the data transmission is critical to not over-flowing the printer input buffer (resulting in missed commands) or under-flowing the buffer (resulting in stuttering in the prints).

There are other issues.  My favorite was printing over-night and Microsoft decided I just had to have some critical update for whatever.  End of print.

I did end up writing my own front end for the printer.  I ask the printer what files are on the SD, then I pick the one I want, I pre-heat and level and then tell the printer to print the file.  It's all good.

Edited by GregValiant
    • Like 1

24 minutes ago, GregValiant said:

USB Printing is a sore spot with a lot of users.  The plugin essentially has not been touched in years. 

There is a change in the actual beta 5.0.0 - before I never had any problem while printing

The reason is that no Ultimaker printers use it. 

But many thousand users on the world!

As I understand it - the reason for that is because it's dicey at best and prone to errors.  Pronterface is really no better. 

Pronterface works perfect. I never had any error

Maybe you'd have better luck with Repetier Host?  Octoprint / RaspPI are a much better choice to print remotely.  Cura has a plugin for that (I think it's been updated for 5.0).

Octoprint or Raspi a.s.o. are no solution for me

I am a complete amateur at programming but I've written some software for transmitting data over USB and serial ports and so I tried my hand at sending prints over the USB.  After a couple of days of putzing with it, all the code went right into the toilet.

It boiled down to this...

I made a testprogramm with Excel-VBA. Communication via USB is no problem

A straight line extrusion 200mm long at 50mm/sec takes 4 seconds.  That's one line of gcode eaten by the printer/planner every 4 seconds.

A circle with a circumference of 200mm at 50mm/sec needs a minimum of around 200 lines of gcode in 4 seconds and at a high resolution maybe 400 lines of gcode in 4 seconds.

So the timing of the data transmission is critical to not over-flowing the printer input buffer (resulting in missed commands) or under-flowing the buffer (resulting in stuttering in the prints).

All other programs can do this handling correctly

There are other issues.  My favorite was printing over-night and Microsoft decided I just had to have some critical update for whatever.  End of print.

bad - I had the same thing 3 or 4 times. I never print large things with USB. Only things with not more than 3 hours. And not over night.

I did end up writing my own front end for the printer.  I ask the printer what files are on the SD, then I pick the one I want, I pre-heat and level and then tell the printer to print the file.  It's all good.

I use a WLAN-SD in the printer. And I use only one file with always the same name on the SD. The printers firmware is very bad with filehandling. It crashes often when more than some files are on the SD or filenames don't fit the MS-8.3-Rules

I would like to use "slice and print" in one step. Not save > gcode > to SD > Printer.

22 minutes ago, Lupus52 said:

But many thousand users on the world!

Correct, but Ultimaker is paying the vast majority of Cura development. So we will focus on on things that benefit our printers.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lupus52 said:

Then the print starts with the brim. After a few centimetres, it stops, always wobbles back and forth on the spot and happily dribbles filament. Then he continues and repeats this 2 times.

This sounds like a very recent hardware problem.  Try printing the exact same file through something else like pronterface and see if it's a problem that just started today and unrelated to cura.