Ultimaker Cura 5.0 beta

fvrmr

Posted · Ultimaker Cura 5.0 beta

Thanks for your file @GregValiant  that's what I was thinking in 4.13  Fill Gaps Between Walls was on.   it's the main difference but if you don't use it :

Cura 4.13  : 3:50

Cura Master : 3:46 ( The cura Master is a little bit better on displacement optimisation)

Cura 5.0 : 3:50

image.thumb.png.9fe11b2c34d55e54716c5044e24ee5ee.png

image.thumb.png.17fd49d4f9e7b2ccda9a4bde9e81efb4.png

image.thumb.png.6c09fdba2298cedd00e5e39c4680ba8f.png

Along with all the support - that model for most of it's height is a "U" shape.  Those are always tough when it comes to travel moves.

In this one instance I think it's clear that given the model and settings, 4.13.1, Master, and 5.0 are pretty close.  I can see where with certain models and combinations of settings that those times could change dramatically.

As @nallath has said more than once - the main issue is the acceleration settings.  A user can ask Cura for an acceleration of 2000 but in their printer M201 is set at a max X and Y acceleration of 500.  The actual print time in that case is going to be a lot more than what Cura calculated.  Kind of a garbage-in-garbage-out-thing.

On 5/4/2022 at 12:30 AM, nallath said:

That was a bug, which has been fixed already for the final release 🙂

From wikipedia: " A beta phase generally begins when the software is feature complete but likely to contain a number of known or unknown bugs.[9] Software in the beta phase will generally have many more bugs in it than completed software and speed or performance issues, and may still cause crashes or data loss."

The 5.0 beta is feature complete, but as you have found contains some issues that we have not encountered during our tests. Software systems have become so complex that it running on all of our systems is no indication that it runs on the others. That is also why we kindly ask people to test it.

Alpha[edit]

The alpha phase of the release life cycle is the first phase of software testing (alpha is the first letter of the Greek alphabet, used as the number 1). In this phase, developers generally test the software using white-box techniques. Additional validation is then performed using black-box or gray-box techniques, by another testing team. Moving to black-box testing inside the organization is known as alpha release.[3][better source needed]

Alpha software is not thoroughly tested by the developer before it is released to customers. Alpha software may contain serious errors, and any resulting instability could cause crashes or data loss.[4] Alpha software may not contain all of the features that are planned for the final version.[5] In general, external availability of alpha software is uncommon in proprietary software, while open source software often has publicly available alpha versions. The alpha phase usually ends with a feature freeze, indicating that no more features will be added to the software. At this time, the software is said to be feature complete. A beta test is carried out following acceptance testing at the supplier's site (alpha test) and immediately before the general release of the software as a product.[6]

In general an alpha version or release of a software package intends to do something particular, mostly does so, yet isn't guaranteed to do so fully.

On 4/26/2022 at 7:10 AM, nallath said:

We've had some reports from people that certain virus scanners incorrectly marked the application as a trojan. Perhaps that is what is happening for you?

Incorrectly? Perhaps you can explain why, when I downloaded the flatpak and tried to run it, it proceeded to copy my root directory into an archive? I don't know what, precisely, it was going to do with it because I killed the power. Then I zeroed the drives and reinstalled the system.  Without Cura.

• Confused 1

19 hours ago, llibelo said:

Incorrectly? Perhaps you can explain why, when I downloaded the flatpak and tried to run it, it proceeded to copy my root directory into an archive? I don't know what, precisely, it was going to do with it because I killed the power. Then I zeroed the drives and reinstalled the system.  Without Cura.

We don't provide any flatpack. I have no idea what whomever made the flatpack did and we also don't have control over it. We only support the appimage that we provide.