very loud, high pitched sound on the y-axis

l_tonic

Posted · very loud, high pitched sound on the y-axis

Hello UM-community!

i have a noise problem on the y axis when i'm running the bed leveling wizard

this means when i continue and the printhead moves from the left-front corner to the left-back corner, it makes a very loud sound. (same thing from the right-back corner to the right-front corner)

does anyone have an idea how to solve the problem?

Thank you for coming solutions!

l_tronic

UM Original or UM2? Can you post a video? I think you have to post it somewhere else and link to it maybe. Or gry clicking "gallery" in top left corner of this page and see if you can upload it there and then make a post and click "my media" next to smiley face.

Same thing

if i push it by hand (power off) the y axis is much louder than the x axis but the noise seems to be produced in the printhead, maybe in the lineair bearing.

Strange. Well add a drop of light petroleum oil to the axis and push it back and forth over the oil. See if that helps. I think the linear bearing isn't a typical "linear bearing" in that it needs to allow the shaft to rotate also. So it is simply a copper sleeve (I think - maybe - not sure).

If you loosen the 4 screws on top several turns you can probably slide the bearing out and slide it along by itself. Maybe it's being twisted because maybe your UM2 is crooked (was dropped during shipment) and the two rods going through the head aren't square anymore. But that would affect the X also. More likely something with the belts?

All the rods can be (and should occasionally be) oiled. But not the Z screw - that should have grease only.

Any light petroleum oil is fine preferably with no additives (WD40 has additives).

oh you misunderstood me! i dont have an UM2. Only the original.

And i discovered a strange thing: only when the y axis is moving (with the stepper driver) at a high speed it makes this noise and when theres no power i can move the y axis quiet easier than the x axis and also makes a higher pitched sound

You need to post a video I think.

oh you misunderstood me! i dont have an UM2. Only the original.

And i discovered a strange thing: only when the y axis is moving (with the stepper driver) at a high speed it makes this noise and when theres no power i can move the y axis quiet easier than the x axis and also makes a higher pitched sound

Is it just at certain velocities (around 20-25mm/s)? I have a similar effect on one axis since I changed to direct drive. But I think it's some kind of resonance in my case...

no only at high velocities (100-200 mm/s)

(video is coming soon!)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q98vludaj1zvvdf/018e8b54ffab251058b89733410155b944dd005c4b.mp4

here is the link with a movie. you will see every time when the printhead travels to a position on the y axis it makes a loud sound

That sounded pretty normal. I heard a faint squeak sound when it was doing the farther screw holes - is that what you mean?

i think yes, so when the printhead moves at travelspeed (350mm/s) down to the next screwhole it make that noise and i checked it again now im to 100% sure that it comes out of the stepper motor.

i'll upload another movie where you can hear it hopfully better. (same link as before)

I couldn't tell any difference in the sound between traveling in x and traveling in y.... not sure what to tell you. 350mm/s is a bit fast for the travel speed... you might try reducing that to 300 or 250, and see if it improves things.

thank you for the tip!

actually i made a mistake because my travelling speed was set to 150mm/s but when set it to 100 it was a lot better!

100mm/sec is kind of slow for a travelling speed. It's nice to have a high travelling speed because you are less likely to get stringing as it "breaks" the string. You should be fine at 250mm/sec and slower. 350mm/sec seems too fast but 150mm/sec should be fine.

well ill leave it by 120

because on 150 that noise comes back an on 120 it seems to produce good results