Ultimaker Cura 5.0.0

fvrmr

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Cura 5.0.0

Hi I like the new Cura 5.0.0 but unfortunately for me it keeps locking up before I can finish setting my settings. The only way out is to reboot the laptop. 

I am using a 3 month old Dell with ample spec, Windows 11 home and I save my prints to an SD card and print from that.

Cura 4.13.1 works ok no freezing. 

Looking through some older posts for Cura 4 I come across one where the " send (anonymous )print information " was turned off and this worked for them. I have done the same and so far Cura 5 has not frozen or crashed.

I am not sure where the log files are so have not attached any.

If anyone has any ideas how to fix this issue please can you advise me on how.

Thank you 

Update so after working for about 30 mins thought it was ok but sadly no crashed again now with a black screen then laptop will restart and takes a while to do that. 

Edited by Ralphf-nmd
update

Posted · Ultimaker Cura 5.0.0
    16 hours ago, ahoeben said:

The colors or the spacing?

Both of them, as for me.

Colors are RAW black - it is impossible to work much time with such them. Grey or bluerish-grey do not hit in the eyes as much.

Gigantism also not good. There are too much preferences, that might be checked before printing, and with such big spaces, you'll have to scroll too much, instead of viewing all of them at ones.

If it possible and developers have time, just make extra theme. They know code, for them it takes 1 hour, for us - it takes 1 day. Because there is no autoupdate, you have to reopen Cura to show changed effects.

38 minutes ago, ahoeben said:

Thanks @ahoeben for providing this instructions!

For people interested in further customising their theme I made an overview explaining the main variables, With 5.0 we hugely reduced the amount of theme entries and it should be just much easier to customise the look of Cura. 

theme explanation.pdf

• Like 4

On 5/17/2022 at 10:24 AM, mettleh3d said:

Good morning, just noticed Cura 5 is stable now that's great news tyvm!

I am using a Chromebook with Linux. Just noticed that I couldn't run Cura 5 due to 'GLIBC_2.29' not found. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated..

I had the same issue and tried a great many things. By the time all was said and done, I couldn't use Cura 4 or 5. So I uninstalled the Linux package and reinstalled it. Then I downloaded Cura 5 and don't forget to set the permissions, I don't have that command right off hand, but it just won't let you execute the file without it. It's running good on my Chromebook right now! I hope if nothing else works, that might.

I'm new to 3-d printing. I have one print a friend helped me with and it prints beautifully. I tried one I downloaded and looked at with cura 5.0 and when I save the g-code it prints 11mm off the printing bed. I could use some help. 

CR-10 S Pro v1. Micro Swiss hotend, and BondTech Extruder in stock placement. I've leveled and re-leveled with the bed and nozzle at print temperatures and nothing is working.

Micro Machine Train Track Straight And Curved Micromachines Micromachine Rail Railroad.zip

@A750gixr Load one of the STL files in Cura.  Set it up to slice.  Use the "File | Save Project" command to create a 3mf project file.  You can post that here and someone will take a look.  A project file has your printer, all the settings, and the model and is good to troubleshoot with.

Edited by GregValiant

On 5/17/2022 at 8:52 PM, ahoeben said:

Cura 5 is not longer compatible with Windows 7.

For the Win7-fans outside there (like me): it's possible to run Win10 in a virtual machine (instead of upgrading the whole Win7 system). Although this workaround looks like TARDIS (inside bigger than outside), the new Cura 5.0 is worth it 🙂.

Regards

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Enigma_M4 said:

It's possible to run Win10 in a virtual machine (instead of upgrading the whole Win7 system). Although this workaround looks like TARDIS (inside bigger than outside), the new Cura 5.0 is worth it 🙂.

It might be less of a TARDIS-feeling if you use a Linux VM, with just the essentials you need for Cura.

• Like 2

Whatever you did, the UI in 5.0 doesn´t seem to work well. Although everything takes more space (which I personally don´t like but OK) the  Text scaling seems buged.

Win 11, 4k Screen at 150% scaling.

Here just a few examples:

image.thumb.png.a529f164cadb1928418a7f5e0a64d98d.png

On 5/21/2022 at 8:48 PM, tannenba said:

Is the Auto-Orientation plugin going to be updated for Cura 5.0?

Yes. You can already get the curapackage from https://github.com/nallath/CuraOrientationPlugin/releases

Since it's a plugin that I made, I don't want to approve / review it myself. So we will have to wait until one of my colleagues does for it to be visible in the Marketplace.

Hi all,

I am trying CURA 5.0. I have a Ender 3 Max that I upgraded to the BTT Octopus Pro 429 board and the E3D REVO SIX hotend, among other upgrades. I am setting up and dialing in my different settings for each of my Filaments and nozzle sizes. So..... Right now I have to setup a project. Let say a Cal CUBE with MH Build Series PETG filament and a 0.6 nozzle size at 0.2mm layer height. I can just select Save Project and give it a name. Now here is the thing. I want to now set this up for a 0.8mm nozzle size at 0.6mm Layer height. Now just changing the layer height and nozzle size would be simple. If that is all you would have to change but there a several other settings that need to be changed. Such as number of Walls. Maybe Wall thickness. Temperature of filament do to the higher volume being extruded etc. So I guess I could save separate projects templates before I load any models into the project. I think that will work but is there a better way where I can take one project and then when I want to change the nozzle size, etc. just import a Setting profile. So Basically I would like to be able to set up a setting profile as well as a Filament profile. Right now we can create and save different filament profiles. But in CURA 5.0 we need to be able to save different nozzle and other profiles separate from a full project.

Let me no if there is a particular place I can suggest this as an upgrade to CURA 5.0 BETA or if someone can write a plugin. Thank You.

Not sure why, but the top surface on my model is a lot rougher in Cura 5.0.0...

I think I found nd generally what I was asking for in my above note. It is a little complicated to learn for a first timer. Because you have a printer prfile, Material profile and a settings profile all sot of linked together but in total different locations. somehow we need to put our heads together to simplify all this. If you use it a while maybe one will not think this is so hard. But there are little tweaks I have found already.

1: in creating materials. Use this as an example: I want to create a custom profile for the MatterHacker MH Build Series PETG White filament. I somehow created a custom filament under the folder Custom MatterHacker which is what I want. I then want to create another custom Matterhacker orange PETG filament. I created a custom filament but it is under the PLA heading. I thought I could just select, drag N' Drop said custom filament to the folder heading Custom Matterhacker Filament section I created. But I can not. So how am I supposed to copy said custom filament to better organize things? Also, I would like to just be able to right click on my Matterhacker heading and create a custom filament there in that folder. I am using my M1-MAX MAC. Now, at least on my iPad simple things like the above are just built into every app so you don't need to do a lot of extra learning in order to get up and running.

@Super_paulie a picture or a project file sure would help.  Most of the changes in 5.0 are in regards to the walls and dialog boxes.  There are some new settings that could be carrying over to the skins.

@GregValiant ive made some changes to the project and am running it again this morning. Several settings change when you open up the file created in 4.13 within 5.0.0. so ive reverted those settings back to what they were in 4.13 to see if that changes things back to how i need them.

Hello,

Installed 5.0 right after it was released, but in the last day, when I open it and it asks if I want to sync to my account, it freezes up.  Is andyone else having this problem and is there a fix/walk-around for it?

2 minutes ago, ChrisK1962 said:

when I open it and it asks if I want to sync to my account, it freezes up.

If all else fails, you could log out of your account.

Same project file. Cura 4.13 on the left, Cura 5 on the right.

IMG_20220524_140015.jpg

Old Cura left, Cura 5 on the right.

Might not look a lot, but the quality isn't good enough for my product so back to Cura 4.13 for me!

IMG_20220524_140047_1.jpg

That looks like some over-extrusion on very short lines.  The longer ones look OK.

There is a new setting called "Flow Equalization Ratio" in the Speed settings.  I know you probably don't feel much like experimenting, but setting that to 0% might make a difference.

I have seen some of that over-extrusion on very short lines (like with quick dots in a corner) so maybe there is an issue that 5.0 is having.  @nallath might have an idea(?)

If you could share a Project File it would help.  If you don't want to share that model then load another that may show the same problem.

Edited by GregValiant

12 minutes ago, GregValiant said:

That looks like some over-extrusion on very short lines.  The longer ones look OK.

There is a new setting called "Flow Equalization Ratio" in the Speed settings.  I know you probably don't feel much like experimenting, but setting that to 0% might make a difference.

i cant today as i dont have time to run the model but i will test that out tomorrow and report back.

hello there! i'm having a little trouble with cura 5.0. i'm printing a ring part for a keychain. i've been printing this for a while now using cura 4.13. today i used cura 5.0 and this is what i got.. i think it under-extrudes when it starts the layer. i checked in cura preview and the spot where there are under extrusions are spots where the layer starts. I'm using the same profile on both slicer. (on the second pic, the left one is the one sliced using 4.13 and the 2 on the right are the ones sliced using 5.0)

20220525_005720[1].jpg

20220525_005626[1].jpg

Edited by JPCustomPrints

2 minutes ago, JPCustomPrints said:

hello there! i'm having a little trouble with cura 5.0. i'm printing a ring part for a keychain. i've been printing this for a while now using cura 4.13. today i used cura 5.0 and this is what i got.. i think it under-extrudes when it starts the layer. i checked in cura preview and the spot where there are under extrusions are spots where the layer starts. I'm using the same profile on both slicer. (on the second pic, the right one is the one sliced using 4.13 and the 2 on the right are the ones sliced using 5.0)

this is due to the change in cura 5.0 where the outermost wall is printed before the inner walls. 
    The only reason I can see for this change is a higher dimensional accuracy in theory. 
    The problem, however, is that when printing multiple parts, for most materials except PLA or parts with longer travel moves, the full desired material flow in the nozzle is not immediately achieved after a retraction, which in turn leads to underextrusion. 

i have yet to see a more detailed statement on this from ultimaker itself. 

in the meantime, many users already seem to reverse this setting, simply because the sequence "inner walls before outer wall" makes more sense in practical use. This setting can be found under the "walls" tab and is called "wall odering".

• Like 3