Ultimaker Cura 5.0.0

fvrmr

Posted · Ultimaker Cura 5.0.0
5 minutes ago, Gero said:

this is due to the change in cura 5.0 where the outermost wall is printed before the inner walls. 
The only reason I can see for this change is a higher dimensional accuracy in theory. 
The problem, however, is that when printing multiple parts, for most materials except PLA or parts with longer travel moves, the full desired material flow in the nozzle is not immediately achieved after a retraction, which in turn leads to underextrusion. 

i have yet to see a more detailed statement on this from ultimaker itself. 

in the meantime, many users already seem to reverse this setting, simply because the sequence "inner walls before outer wall" makes more sense in practical use. This setting can be found under the "walls" tab and is called "wall odering".

Thank you very much! I didn't notice that the wall ordering was different on cura 5. Again, thank you very much! ^_^

On 5/21/2022 at 1:47 AM, stacker2005 said:

I had the same issue and tried a great many things. By the time all was said and done, I couldn't use Cura 4 or 5. So I uninstalled the Linux package and reinstalled it. Then I downloaded Cura 5 and don't forget to set the permissions, I don't have that command right off hand, but it just won't let you execute the file without it. It's running good on my Chromebook right now! I hope if nothing else works, that might.

Dang. I was hoping that wasn't the fix. I upgraded to 5 today on my Chromebook and am dead in the water. It opens fine but the only way to get a file open is to drag and drop the file into Cura. Then I get it all set up, slice it and can't save it... 

Hello.
    I want to note 1 thing, seems to be a bug: I make "Infill Before Walls" option visible, but it is still absent (Ultimaker Cura 5.0.0, Windows).
    2022_05.24_01_Cura_5.0.0_Absent_Infill_Before_Walls_option.thumb.png.bea9f188076464572268dacc6eec649c.png

23 hours ago, GregValiant said:

That looks like some over-extrusion on very short lines.  The longer ones look OK.

There is a new setting called "Flow Equalization Ratio" in the Speed settings.  I know you probably don't feel much like experimenting, but setting that to 0% might make a difference.

yes, that helped significantly, thanks for the tip. 

Hi, I get kind of disappointing results with Cura 5.0.

All settings are the same as far as I can see. I use a 0.8mm nozzle here. With 0.4mm it looks ok.

image.thumb.png.5d6c221f573cbaf4a726b016fe5668d8.png

Cura 4.13.1

image.thumb.png.d437c0fdfe44db2d416b23f159f91de0.png

Cura 5.0.0

It looks like the line width you are using with the .8 nozzle is too much to print the areas between the holes.

There are new "Wall" settings that you can adjust.  Things like "Split Middle Line Threshold" and "Add Middle Line Threshold".  Try setting them to around 50% and see if it makes a difference.  The calculated defaults may not be right for that model at your line width.

Clearly you didnt test it very well because its utterly broken form some people. Wont even start the damn program. 

• Like 1

Yes, those settings were hidden (seems my "all" setting was converted to "custom" for 5.0).

Decreasing the minimum wall line width to .6mm seems to give the best result. We'll se how it prints. There seems to be overlap between the lines in 4.13, that feature is 1.28mm wide and the line width I get as default in 4.13 is .7mm.

Thanks!

@earth_inheritor I can only speak for myself here as a casual user.

When the Beta was released I installed it and sliced and printed a few models.  Cura 5.0 runs well on my Win10 laptop and prints well on my Ender 3 Pro.  I found a couple of bugs and duly wrote them up on GitHub.  Since it is an open source project, it's what I figured I should do.  I am one person with one computer and one printer so that's all I can check it on.

If you (and those others) didn't care to participate in helping to de-bug the beta then that's fine.  More people means more computers with different operating systems, different hardware, different video systems, and different printers.

If you are having problems with Cura installation or with the program not starting, or not loading files, then a bug report on GitHub is your avenue to explain what is going on.  Project files, "cura.log", model files, and a concise explanation of the problem, are all helpful to chase down issues and fix them.  A terse "utterly broken" doesn't provide much of a clue as to what's going on.

Bug reports DO get chased down and fixed...but only if problems are reported.  If they aren't reported then they aren't a problem.

The people at Ultimaker likely put a boat load of money into developing Cura over the years.  They are kind enough to give it away for free and provide definitions for my cheap Chinese printer and over 300 other printers from other manufacturers.  Helping to debug it seems like a small enough price that I gladly pay.

• Like 2

On 5/27/2022 at 3:02 PM, GregValiant said:

@earth_inheritor I can only speak for myself here as a casual user.

When the Beta was released I installed it and sliced and printed a few models.  Cura 5.0 runs well on my Win10 laptop and prints well on my Ender 3 Pro.  I found a couple of bugs and duly wrote them up on GitHub.  Since it is an open source project, it's what I figured I should do.  I am one person with one computer and one printer so that's all I can check it on.

If you (and those others) didn't care to participate in helping to de-bug the beta then that's fine.  More people means more computers with different operating systems, different hardware, different video systems, and different printers.

If you are having problems with Cura installation or with the program not starting, or not loading files, then a bug report on GitHub is your avenue to explain what is going on.  Project files, "cura.log", model files, and a concise explanation of the problem, are all helpful to chase down issues and fix them.  A terse "utterly broken" doesn't provide much of a clue as to what's going on.

Bug reports DO get chased down and fixed...but only if problems are reported.  If they aren't reported then they aren't a problem.

The people at Ultimaker likely put a boat load of money into developing Cura over the years.  They are kind enough to give it away for free and provide definitions for my cheap Chinese printer and over 300 other printers from other manufacturers.  Helping to debug it seems like a small enough price that I gladly pay.

Seems its a reported bug. If you have more than 1 monitor it doesn't work for anyone. Seems whoever did the testing for it never tried more than 1 screen.

Disabled my second monitor, and it works. 

I do have two monitors, and it works completly normal...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gero said:

I do have two monitors, and it works completly normal...

Must be certain types of drivers or something. Its reported and confirmed to be a dual monitor issue. I have Nvidia so maybe its that. Could be to do with the Nvidia overlay or something. Either way, the second i disabled my second screen, it opened with no crash what so ever. 

Other people on Gitthub reported the same issue. Everyone of them had 2 screens. Disabled one, worked and no crash on startup. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, earth_inheritor said:

Either way, the second i disabled my second screen, it opened with no crash what so ever. 

In previous versions, where this also happened to people, this could be fixed by unchecking the "Restore window position on start" option in the General preferences. Does that help in Cura 5.0?

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Cura 5.0.0

I'm sorry if this issue got already solved and I overlooked the solution.

Whenever I open a dialog for filesystem operations (import/export, load model) my entire system collapses.

Waiting a ridiculous long time sometimes works, sometimes it doesn't.

Tested on a standalone PC and Lifebook U Series.

Changing from beta to v5.0.0 final solved that.

On a sidenote since fieldOfView is quite active here: I can't seem to get z-offset and material plugin to work properly.

I use material profiles from 4.13.1 since the import/export in 5.0 just doesn't work for me.

I don't an entry for material-settings in add-ons and configured z-offset settings from 4.13.1 won't be used.

Cheers

Edited by dtose
    solved

39 minutes ago, dtose said:

I don't an entry for material-settings in add-ons and configured z-offset settings from 4.13.1 won't be used.

There may be an issue in Cura 5 (re-)installing plugins. Please try the following:

* In the Marketplace, uninstall the plugin(s) that are not working

* Restart Cura (this is important)

* In the Marketplace, reinstall the plugin(s)

* Restart Cura again.

Note that the "Material settings" menu item has been moved to the Material preferences dialog in the current version of the plugin:

image.png.5624f0ab58308d9213bb1eb5e0b3fd

• Like 1

I noticed that the keep out zones have to be removes in a different way now.

There is no Recources folder anymore?

How can I remove all the keep out zondes?

TIA!

In CURA 5  I can't adjust a smooth Z seam on a round surface

cura-5.jpg

Edited by Passkal
    • Like 1

Note that the "Material settings" menu item has been moved to the Material preferences dialog in the current version of the plugin:

Thanks a lot. I hadn't noticed that.

For the rest of the addon problems. I did reinstall all of the plugins.

I'd like to thank you once again for your work. These add-ons really make things a lot easier for me.

Maybe it was because I had all versions back to 4.10 still installed. After I removed them, everything seems to work.

Cheers

• Like 2

I started to use Cura 5 beta on Windows 10 Pro 64 bit PC and each time (twice) it locked up after a few minutes.
    Back to ver 4.13.
    I am looking forward to using ver 5, once it is bug free.

ADDED: I just noticed ver 5.0.0 is out of beta. 
    I will try that...

Edited by 3DPrince

I started to use Cura 5 beta on Windows 10 Pro 64 bit PC and each time (twice) it locked up after a few minutes.
    Back to ver 4.13.
    I am looking forward to using ver 5, once it is bug free.

ADDED: I just noticed ver 5.0.0 is out of beta. 
    I will try that...

Had the freezes as well (especially on filesystem access).

V5.0.0 final solved that.

• Like 1

@Stephan77 did you find it?

It was moved down a couple of levels to:

C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 5.0.0\share\cura\resources\definitions

• Like 1

@GregValiant Found it now, thank you very much!!

Solidworks pulgin not available anymore in cura 5.0 ?! Unusable for me whitout the plugin.

• Like 1

In 4.13.1 in the Marketplace the Solidworks plugin has a link to the author / maintainer of the plugin.  You would need to contact them and find out if they have a timeline for re-submitting the plugin to the Cura Team.

EDIT:  I found a contact form for the author and sent a query regarding the plugin and if/when it will be available for 5.0.

Edited by GregValiant

I'm using Cura for Ultimaker on Mac OS 10.14 (Mojave). Previous versions worked fine.

Cura 5 won't start. At all. Just one "bounce" in the app bar and that's it. No error message or anything. I tried un-installing and re-installing. Same thing.