Ultimaker2 Feeder System - Improvements and Ideas

Posted · Ultimaker2 Feeder System - Improvements and Ideas

Hi Robert

I am still waiting my UM2. I am planning to use your feeder. But, yes, instrucctions seem not easy to understand. Please, consider that some of us are not English speakers and it is more difficult for us.

Thanks for your work!!!

• Replies 961
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey Robert,

Maybe a little video would help. How to operate it and how to assemble (although the assembly, when printed, I guess it is pretty self explanataory).

Hey robert-

I agree with Nicolinux. I just printed your feeder design... a bit lost with your instructions.

Just need a little more clarification. Specifically where the spacers and hub adapters go. :unsure:

Alright, I guess when you've been looking at something from every angle imaginable for days you take a few things for granted hehe. Do these help?

supportRemoval

supportRemoval2

insertBowden

armAssembly

insertSpacers

Thanks! perfect! when i first printed the spacers they had caps... was a bit confused. So i set all the fill attributes to zero. And now i see what you mean by no heated bed too on the spacers (or else it squishes the end). I'll have this assembled in an hour or so! cant wait for no more black plastic in my prints! thanks man!

Hey Robert,

Here is another idea. Since the feeder is for the UM2 and people will print it with the UM2, you could also provide the gcode files. It will make it easier for others so they need not worry about slicing parameters.

Man, I never thought people would find it this complicated. Except for the two spacer tubes everything is printed normally. And for those two tubes all you have to do is enable spiralize, set wall thickness to 0.7 and top/bottom thickness to 0.

I guess that's the price I pay for sacrificing a bit of function for design. In an earlier version I had separate mounting holes for the arm and latch so that you didn't have to worry about over tightening the mounting screws impeding the movement of those parts. But I wanted them to use the same holes that were already there so I had to incorporate those little tubes to make sure the body didn't flex and lock those parts in place.

So I installed it last night... It looked pretty!

but i wasn't getting enough pressure on the filament and the extrusion was super weak. Seems as if the filament wasn't been squeezed hard enough against the motor eventhough i've been adjusting that spring. Any ideas off the top of your head?

I didn't spend that much time with it and as my profile says im a "newbie". I want to throw my ultimaker out the window lately so your feeder operation will have to be put on hold for the time being. :-|

i wasn't getting enough pressure on the filament and the extrusion was super weak.

I had the same issues not enough pressure on the filament to push it through, i was going to extend the yoke a bit but there is not enough clearance between the main frame and the bearing , and as i am not a designer my quest stops there....

irobert feeder

Geeks design worked for me but this still did not allow me to use ninja flex which i was hoping to use with iroberti design above....

geeks feeder

I guess my decision to make the movement of the yoke a bit constrained wasn't the right one. This is what it looks like in CAD. I guess some of the sloppiness (which is necessary) is causing it to not reach enough in the real world for you guys. Dropping the lower guide down a few mm and extending the yoke a couple of mm might fix it. Thoughts?

filamentSqueezage

Right, I dropped the lower guide 2-3mm and extended the yoke 2mm. This is what it looks like now.

filamentSqueezageUpdated

Here are the STLs if you feel like giving it another shot. No guarantees this will work, please look at the image first and let me know if you think it's not going to work:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2qlhfayw6aeoj7u/feeder_v4_yoke_v2.STL

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cto902fwtjtsyqo/feeder_v4_body_v2.STL

Of course the original snap on guide will not fit on this but I'll hold off on changing that until we know the thing actually works at all.

Right, I dropped the lower guide 2-3mm and extended the yoke 2mm. This is what it looks like now.

Here are the STLs if you feel like giving it another shot. No guarantees this will work, please look at the image first and let me know if you think it's not going to work:

Top man IRoberti...

I did extend the yoke in tinkercad (shows i have no design skills) but realized this would not work alone... i will give these a print tomorrow as my machine is tied up tonight and will let you know....

Thanks for the rapid re-design :wink:

Edit: oh yes if this works please make the snap on guide fit

Cool. This looks like it will help.

Quick question:

tightening the bolt on the spring is suppose to push the yoke in further?

I think I'm just lost at what the springs purpose is for this feeder.

I'm fried from the ultimaker and need to take a break. I'll get back to you design a little later/

The spring pushes against the yoke, forcing it towards the filament. So when the arm is open it will be pushed against the back of the arm. As you close the arm on the filament it will get pushed back, compressing the spring further. Tightening the bolt will compress the spring more, putting more pressure on the filament.

The spring removes extruder build tolerances and filament tolerances. It basically provides a constant force on the bearing and the filament against the knurled drive surface. The degree of compression is set by the adjustment nut. It is the same principle as in the upgraded original UM filament drive.

Bertho

Try printing a cube and see if you get the same banding. If you do, then print a second cube later and see if the banding is in the exact same locations. If so then something is repeatably bad with the Z screw or Z table. Someone said that something in their UM2 Z table was loose. I'm not sure what exactly. I've only taken it partially apart - not enough to see the Z nut mechanism.

Hey Ian,

Did you unveil your design at the fair? If yes, would you like to publish it?

I am in the business of printing a new feeder and I am torn between yours and Robert's design. I'd like to take a close look at both in order to decide.

Thanks,

Stefan

I'm very interested in an improved feeder, and smoothing hat guides the filament a little more smoothly also. Happy to test.

Right, I've put up my design now. There's a long ass bit of text to read there so read it before you start printing. (so you can decide if it's worth the effort).

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/alternative-um2-feeder-version-two

Now we wait for Ian's design to make mine obsolete and pointless :)

Is this safe to print in PLA and what other settings do you recommend ? 0,1layer height ?

I will probably start printing this part tomorrow evening in Orange (had some prints going for kingsday this weekend so why not)

i'll give Ian his design a go as well seeing he seems to have started it a long time ago (as far as my feeder goes.. been printing for 1,5 weeks non stop and still no issues with the current feeder but I like upgrades so yeah)

Ian is not answering grrrr... why?

Shut up and take my money Ian!

@AjDuLion: Yeah, PLA will work fine, it's what I use. 0.1mm will work fine as well. As for infill I think I used the standard 20%. Use at least 0.8mm outer layer (2 shells) for strength.

Also make sure you read back a page or so, a couple of people had issues with the length of the arm not being enough. I posted a couple of modified files for that but no one has reported back if it worked or not...

morning guys ! :-)

Im still tweaking at two design ideas.. two very different approaches both offering different benafits.

I am curios about which one ends up better.

The big presentation is now in 3 weeks in Erfurt germany and Im going to have a lot of fun showing off my 2 ideas.. working models and also discussing the topic with the audience.. will be a crazy think-tank of people.. :-)

Would love to have live feed there but not sure about that.. ?

Ill ask Florian and see if he knows..

Ian :-)

@AjDuLion: Yeah, PLA will work fine, it's what I use. 0.1mm will work fine as well. As for infill I think I used the standard 20%. Use at least 0.8mm outer layer (2 shells) for strength.

Also make sure you read back a page or so, a couple of people had issues with the length of the arm not being enough. I posted a couple of modified files for that but no one has reported back if it worked or not...

i woke up at 01:00 seeing my little owls beeing done.. started your print.. forgot to change filament so now i have it in black.. 100% fill (overkill i know) on pla at 0.1mm

only need to print the last part and then I can start changing the stuff out (doing a vase print right now of 10 hours and the extruder started clicking in the first 15 mins but i had to go so fingers crossed i get home with a decent print instead of spagetti...

morning guys ! :smile:

Im still tweaking at two design ideas.. two very different approaches both offering different benafits.

I am curios about which one ends up better.

The big presentation is now in 3 weeks in Erfurt germany and Im going to have a lot of fun showing off my 2 ideas.. working models and also discussing the topic with the audience.. will be a crazy think-tank of people.. :smile:

Would love to have live feed there but not sure about that.. ?

Ill ask Florian and see if he knows..

Ian :smile:

just give us a sneak peak!! or the beta files :geek: (or i'll keep on using robberts !)