Ultimaker2 Feeder System - Improvements and Ideas

Posted · Ultimaker2 Feeder System - Improvements and Ideas

No resistance at all when the UM2 is Off, and you shouldn't turn the filament-grinder when the machine is on anyway, as it makes the motor act like a generator and feed current into the drivers.

• Replies 961
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here is my first shot at a little something to improve the feeding.

I use it with the low friction spool holder from robert.

It's very simple and doesn't need anything more than what is printed.

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/filament-guide-um2

When doing the extrusion test i had to guide the filament and be sure it unwinded in a good manner to have a succesful extrusion.

With this i can let the printer work alone and have a good extrusion until 13 - 14mm3/s

It can probably be improved (ball bearing or better pulley).

20140510 101008

20140510 101047

• Like 1

So i ordered the MK8 drive wheel from reprap.me and alternated my feeder to be usable with it.

(Silver-Metallic)

A nice foto of the drive wheel with the new feeder case printing(Silver-Metallic):

DSCF0028

closeup on the feeder case(Silver-Metallic):

DSCF0029

Before installing the new feeder(Silver-Metallic):

DSCF0030

After installing the new feeder(Silver-Metallic):

DSCF0031

Still needed to adjust the pressure by the ballbearing(Silver-Metallic):

DSCF0032

pressure adjusted with 1.6A on feeder motor(Silver-Metallic) :

DSCF0033

As before with bronze:

DSCF0034

and with silver-grey:

DSCF0035

The best part is after i had adjusted the ballbearing pressure i had no problems with grinding anymore.... not even at 1.6A on the feeder motor. Also the parts where the wheel has cut in feel not at rough as with the old one and have a smaller diameter meaning there is a high chance of lower abrasive factors to the bowden tibes and the teflon coupler. I will stick with it :D

Still.... the results are not what i hoped for.... i think i will make a support ticket to ask for a new teflon coupler.... mine has widened up to 3.5mm in a V-Shape so that is probably the cause of the rest of the problems.

I love reading this thread, and seeing how much success people are having with IRobertI's feeder. I really like the design of Takei's spool holder feeder combo. I haven't had any feeder issues myself but when I do I'm going to give Takei some love and try out his feeder system. Perhaps his feeder system with IRobertI's design is the perfect combo!

Aaron, I`m kind of hoping that I get some feeder issues soon, because I want to try out Roberts design lol... but so far my standard feeder is coping well.

On the other hand.... has anyone ever stuck a fan on the front of the head, so that the right hand side of prints get some cooling action? I printed a symmetrical part last night, the left hand side was perfect, beautiful... right hand side wasn't....need some cooling action !

Takei, I am thinking that perhaps we should oil the filament, even PLA or ABS, to extend teflon life. Just at the beginning of the filament... and after some hours of printing...

what do you think?

Aaron, I`m kind of hoping that I get some feeder issues soon, because I want to try out Roberts design lol... but so far my standard feeder is coping well.

On the other hand.... has anyone ever stuck a fan on the front of the head, so that the right hand side of prints get some cooling action? I printed a symmetrical part last night, the left hand side was perfect, beautiful... right hand side wasn't....need some cooling action !

There are some several parts for a more efficient fan on youmagine. I printed one this weekend but not installed yet. I'm doing some overhangs tests and i want to see if the upgrade gives better results

This is the one i printed:

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/ultimaker-2-fan-mount-single--3

He posted other designs this one looked like the one that would be the most efficient to me

Takei, I am thinking that perhaps we should oil the filament, even PLA or ABS, to extend teflon life. Just at the beginning of the filament... and after some hours of printing...

what do you think?

That would introduce more problems than solve.

That would introduce more problems than solve.

I have to oil filaflex to use it... you are scaring me...

Nevertheless, the way to reduce wear is with a lubricant....

I'm really asking myself questions concerning the oil... How does it react in the nozzle, i'm guessing that you need to clean it after a while... And if the feeder gets oily wouldn't it be less efficient?

I'm really asking myself questions concerning the oil... How does it react in the nozzle, i'm guessing that you need to clean it after a while... And if the feeder gets oily wouldn't it be less efficient?

talking about filaflex... the feeder needs to apply quite less force to push the filament, if oiled. It really works. Filaflex is very sticky. Even you need some force to remove it form the spool. It sticks to itself.

I do not see any strange behaviour when using oil. It is a vey light oil. However... who knows in the future.... What I am doing is that after I remove filaflex i pirnt soething with PLA to clean the noozle.

I printed https://www.youmagine.com/designs/fanduct-another-idea (the v23 from a few days ago) in XT. It was my first print in XT so I had some issues with stringing, although not with overhangs, it prints those fantastically :)

It's a few grams lighter than the stock metal bracket which is nice, and I'd probably print it with less infill or single walls next time to save even more weight (I used 0.8 walls, 0.6 top/bottom, 20% infill).

Can't say yet whether it helps the right side cooling (which is why I printed it), since I haven't swapped back to PLA yet, and it seems like XT actually likes less cooling, so I run between 0 and 75% fan at the moment.

One thing to watch out for if you use this fan duct is that even printed in XT it can start melting from radiant heat from the nozzle when printing XT at 255C and no fan. I haven't put the heat shield on yet so I'm sure that will help, and using even 25% fan seems to stop it happening.

Previously what I was doing to fix the cooling issues for small parts that never really cool properly on the right side is to put a big fan in front of the printer aimed at the head which worked nicely.

On a slightly more on-topic note, I printed the cylinder in XT at 250C with |Robert|'s feeder and low-friction spool holder, and Geeks filament guide. No filament feeder-feeder yet, I want to print that once I've swapped back to white PLA. It printed perfectly all the way to 10mm3/s.

Edit: fixed URL

@ Didier, thanks for that link. I may print that and give it a go.

@ Cyan. I have actually taken apart a PC and stripped the fans out of it, ready to mock up a fan test. I intended to design a simple funnel/duct for the right hand side. The link you posted didn't work for me?

@ Cyan. I have actually taken apart a PC and stripped the fans out of it, ready to mock up a fan test. I intended to design a simple funnel/duct for the right hand side. The link you posted didn't work for me?

Sorry, I messed up the link. Edited the post to fix it

Sorry, I messed up the link. Edited the post to fix it

If the thing that happened is what I think happened then no, no you didn't. Whoever wrote the URL detecting part of this forum must've been drunk or something, it messes up a LOT.

When i was waiting for my UM2 i was following this topic and i was sure that one of extruder improvements will be one of my first prints...

But since i own my UM2 i did a lot of printing.. loooong prints of about 45h each and i have to say that i never had a problem with the original feeder... the only problem i discovered that sometimes the filament is a little tangled on the reel and can blocking the feeder cause the normal way the filament has to go is really not good...

So i did a quick construction which helps me a lot. Its simply a bearing, a bottle filled with about 700 gramm of water and a hairdryerbended piece of filament. when the reel is blocking the bottle gets pulled up and mostly it goes down by itself again when there is a retraction or a quick infill and the printer is shaking if this doesn't work the blue piece of filament comes up and i see (when im around) that there is a bigger problem. The other good thing is that the filament gets stretched a little and feeds the extruder perfectly..

IMG 0322IMG 0323IMG 0326IMG 0327IMG 0320IMG 0324IMG 0325simplefeederhelper

Just upgraded the simple feeder helper .... see the video .... what shall i do when i like to print but the printer is busy with a 40h print ... i take my hairdryer ;-)

Hi everyone,

as I posted before I was using Roberts feeder design on two printers. After the latch broke on one of the printers, i replaced them with 100% filled parts. That worked. But after a while, extrusion on both printers got worse. Extrusion tests "only" achieved 8 mm³/s. I cleaned the nozzle to exclude clogged nozzles as a problem but that did not help.

So I came back to Geeks feeder design and mounted it on both printers. After my first experiences I printed all parts of the feeder 100% filled in PLA. I am using the original spring on both feeders and after some adjustments I can easily print 10mm³/s on both printers without filament grinding again. The filament guide works great.

I really don't know what caused the problems with Roberts design. There are no visible defects. I used them for roughly more than 100 printing hours.

Sebastian

edit by gr5: Geeks design is currently in "version 2" here:

https://www.youmagine.com/users/geeks

I lubricate with grease some parts of Robert's design, to help the mechanism of pressure adjust using the screw... maybe this can help.

Did somebody on the Fair in Erfurt saw the new design from Ian? I'm really looking forward to see his new feeder system.

you can see of the cool things iv done ;-)

here

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/5770-my-presentation-from-the-big-erfurt-3d-fair-germany-2014/&do=findComment&comment=52240

The rubber belt design might be bulky but that just depends on the belts used... iv printed this design and it works like a old reliable tractor... brilliantly...

All I need now is to find some smaller good belts and down size the design and then I have a brilliant feeder that can handle any form of filament... Plus with a little redesign, The loading will be made even easier... PLUS... iv tested the design with NINJAFLEX flexable filament and it works as well... yippee... :-)

Folie18.JPG

this design also allows the system to be bolted to an existing ultimaker2 using only 2 screws.. so the other 2 holes can be always fixed to the stepper motor... so of course it wont fall down !!

The left arm is also locked into position after the filament has been loaded.

The overall traction of the LEGO belts im using is incredible ! with a profile on both sides.. there is no sliding or falls moves.

Ian :-)

I also have to say.. I bought these two amazing lego belts online for 3 euros... other than that.. the whole system is 3d printed from my ultimaker... not one more bolt or screw is needed.

Ian :-)

Ahh you can ignore my question on the other thread now, this IS your new feeder idea :)

NExt step print the belts in flexible filament :)