Ultimaker2 Feeder System - Improvements and Ideas

• Replies 961
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted · Ultimaker2 Feeder System - Improvements and Ideas

Or maybe print the sides in nylon. I mostly print nylon these days. Also, I just changed one of my company's rapid injection molded parts, produced at Protomold, from ABS/PC to nylon. Nylon is inherently self-lubricating and low wear. Though our mold was designed for ABS/PC and I was initially concerned about the higher shrinkage of injection molded nylon vs. ABS/PC, it's not an issue in our part.

Protomold was very fast too. All I had to do was order more parts in nylon, pay the bill, and scrap the old parts. :) / :(

It looks like ABS is a mistake for the UM2 feeder. It seems to slowly wear, which causes ABS dust to end up in the hotend and clog the hotend. We're working to get the supplier to change the material, but it's not going as fast as we hoped.

A quick workaround is printing the sides in PLA, and use those instead of the ABS sides.

It looks like ABS is a mistake for the UM2 feeder. It seems to slowly wear, which causes ABS dust to end up in the hotend and clog the hotend. We're working to get the supplier to change the material, but it's not going as fast as we hoped.

A quick workaround is printing the sides in PLA, and use those instead of the ABS sides.Hi David

Hi David !

When you guys start producing the feeder housing in a stronger material.. will that be simply the transfer of the existing design to the new material or will it be an updated design for this new stronger material ?

The reason I ask is because there are a few spots inside the housing that simply interfere with the mechanism and break off after a little use.

Have a nice evening ! :-)

Ian :-)

Did anyone notice that the little plastic helper for the filament flow is actually located in the wrong place ??

I have spent an unhealthy amount of time watching my ultimaker2 printing recently and noticed that the location where the filament guide is located doesnt really help so much.

If in future versions of the ultimaker2.. the guide was actually located right of the filament, down a little bit and under the feeder mechanism.. also maybe with a turning wheel so the friction is reduced.. then the filament would flow straight from the filament reel. around the turning wheel and straight up into the feeder mechanism...

I think the existing concept puts monster tension on the filament as it bends the filament in the wrong place and the wrong time.. then the filament turnes up at a sever angle to the entrance of the feeder... I would love to know how much stress that left bottom corner of the feeder opening is being put under.....

wheel.jpg

Hi Ian

I also noticed that at higher speeds the existing concept puts monster tension on the filament as it bends the filament in the wrong place and the wrong time.

WP 000142

after a 100mm/s print

WP 000157

and then after a 100mm/s print

Ian, I thought the same thing initially. Where it is I feel is worse than not using it. However if you moved it to where you have indicated, would it be too much of a sharp bend?

I have my spool under the table, it sits on a plastic pipe that rests on a cardboard box with notches cutout to stop it rolling off. Can you imagine that. The filament unspools with its natural bend orientated nicely for the bowden tube.

ok, with Mr. Waldorfs picture, now I see how the filament goes.

Looks good, the filament still has to go through 90 degrees for the bowden bend though.

mr waldorfs idea is i think bang on. There should be a solution where the reel is still kept on the back.. I like the compact nature of it..

But the normal UM setup is a stress joke on the filament.

Im going to setup a metal pipe on an arm chair 2 meters away behind my printer and see what changes...

I am watching a 30 hour print get basically ruined by bad flow and feeding... MOMMMMYYYY.... :-(

WHAT about the idea of a wheel turning guide as part of the base of the feeder mechanism.. ??

There is space there to straighten up the filament before it touches the feeder ?

jumping off topic for 2 seconds.. from my many prints now with the ultimaker2.. I think the nozzle setup is actually really good !!

I think a ton of problems lay with the way the printe pushes and handles material and also the movement of filament from the reel to feeder mechanism...

Ian

Hi woofysplace

Initially wanted to do the same as you and get the filament unspools with its natural bend orientated nicely for the bowden tube, however my UM2 happy corner didn't like so much...

I'll have to get a picture in the happy corner thread when I get a moment. :cool:

i just posted this to my ultimaker blog (www.ultimaker2.com)

Handling the Ultimaker2 Feeder in two Parts ?

Handling the Ultimaker2 Feeder in two Parts ?.

On my quest for the best possible feeder design for the ultimaker2 3d printer. This is the latest creation cooked up in my mad mind ;-)

The idea is to handle the entrance.... the initial flow inside and exit and Bowden interaction as one unit... Those are the easy parts.. so why not break them away and tick that box early the the quest.

So I took those functions and isolated them to the right.

Using a simple beautiful approach to handle them all in one part.

Also the design is open in the middle, so users can see everything !!! access everything !!! and clean out any particles with a finger tip if needed... :-)

The one question everyone will ask is.. wont the flow for flexable materials not be a night mare... no because im designing a guidance system that comes from the other side to help the flow of filament !!

wait.. this design is only starting ;-)

Then after this PART A.. we can start working on the pressure and handling of the filament.. of course the most critical part of the whole equation.. Hehe should be fun... :-)

nezz-part-1.jpg

nezz-part-2.jpg

i think we can start having a lot of fun focusing on the best traction system with this concept ! ;-)

But we should remember to keep this very accessable and open !

Ian :-) :-)

I like the design it's clean and simple. But on other end, can be dangerous for pets and children an exposed knurled wheel

maybe it's just my problem ... but my cat loves to sit and watch the filament moving :)

The dog is to lazy to care about anything, and then the parrot, wife and daughter are well trained to handle with the UM2 and they are like the dog, don´t care about it. :) So should be safe... when the cat lose a finger he will soon realize the error he made, messing around with a knurled wheel... :cry:

but my cat loves to sit and watch the filament moving

Don't you also then need a door on the *front* of your UM? I would think the print head is also interesting to a cat maybe?

i think if we can develop a really good answer to this important problem.. the final product should be made from metals.

So they can be used effectivly for the next 100 years if needed.

Ian

How would you retract with a one way gear? :)

@Ian: Interesting looking design, certainly a lot different to my approach. Will be interesting to see where it goes.

DOH! :mrgreen: I'll just delete that...

Thanks Robert...

I really spent hours and hours fighting the existing design to do what I wanted... and it was too much of a fight..

So i broke down things to the simply elements and took what was direct and easy and gave those to one part of the design..

Now I am in a very confortable position. that I can try out different rigs on the left side without always trying to answer a big list of MUST HAVES on each design :-)

for example...

design4.jpg

Ah, now it makes more sense. I wasn't quite sure what was going on to the left in the previous image. Can I assume the dual springs is to shorten the length of the pressure thingy (that's the technical name!) so that it's easier to get to next to the filament spool?

Or maybe you could use an idea I was toying with (but abandoned because I suck). I was thinking about having a lever that is hinged on the left and closes over top of the entire assembly and fastens on the right. Sort of like those buckles you find on back packs. That way you get away from the spool.

Also, make sure you have enough clearance on the right, I had to do some snipping with the side cutters on my last print out :p I think you're good though, doesn't look like it's protruding too far.

I measured 3 times last night and I think im good about the right side.. that it fits...

But I can now see why you were so pissed with the left and right panels of the um2 coming back.. it wipes out so many possabilities... that stupid locked corner... ahhh

About the backpack latch.. i really like it... but take this as a blond reaction.. but if my design is to be almost completly open. why do I need to design half the model so it latches onto anything.... ?

A user can push and pull filament up and down at will. no need to make the design openable from the side.... or as i said.. im enjoying a blond moment... or life.. you decide ! :wink:

How is your designs going Robert ?

Also... Aaron.. I see you down there in the viewes list.... haha... i spot you !! :wink: I know your a bit of a crazy solidorks maniac... any interesting idea concepts to help us ??? :smile:

Ian

How can the user pull filament up and down at will if you can't release the pressure on the filament? I know you can force it if you turn the extruder motor off (that's what I do sometimes now).

As for my progress. Nothing done yet, I've bee pre-occupied with other stuff. I'll get back on it soon, maybe tonight.

Do you have an isometric view btw? My brain works better on those hehe.

im in the office at the moment and i dont have solidworks here... CRY... :sad:

So Im getting all the measurments right on plan in archicad.. importing these as DXF into Solidworks as reference and then extracting the information into my working solidworks assembly...

So I will have nice sexy 3d shots for you tonight :smile:

Ian :smile:

Robert ! to answer your question about users wanting to pull filament up and down without pushing the motor...

what about this simply idea... make the ends of the spring casings screwable.. just turn the heads and the springs get more space.. stress is removed and you can move filament without problem...

technically when im thinking now... such a screw case idea could also be used to fine adjust pressure on the spring tension ??

screw.jpg