Ultimaker2 Feeder System - Improvements and Ideas

Posted · Ultimaker2 Feeder System - Improvements and Ideas

I'd rather see this pocket allow a longer piece of bowden that starts at the bottom of this feeder and turns towards the bottom of the Um to be clamped down there somewhere. Like someone else did... on some other post...

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/4145-small-question-about-material-feeder/?p=35649

Even better would be a boden tube leading to a box storing your filament with desiccant. Also, a sealed box to store desiccant around the body of the feeder would be nice, so the whole system can be kept as dry as possible.

• Replies 961
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey Ian

I really like your filament guiding system hanging off of your feeder, the double bearings looks nice! I might try something similar for my UM1.

How is the pla(or is it abs) spring/mesh working out?

Hi IronGland,

if you try to model something similar for UM1, would be a good idea to consider something like a damping element to reduce introduced noise from the stepper...

just my two cents...

Well... that didn't go well. 50mm/s, 0.2mm layers (because I wanted it to go a bit quicker) but I got skipping. Reduced to 80% speed and it kept skipping. Guess I have to clean out the nozzle or something. Meh, I'll do that tomorrow.

Hey Ian, I am willing to print and test your part, currently on the cylinders test I fail at 6.5 mm/s so I have one of the typical medium performance machine. Prints very nice on Cura default settings "Normal" and "High Quality" but as soon as I try to push it, even going to 230C PLA it skips badly. I really want to push the speed and quality from the U2.

Let me know if you want to share your file with me and I will test/report here!

ultimaker 2 cylinders speed / feed rate test score 6.5 (default machine)print is fine now!

Thanks

Dany

Wow this thread has been hopping lately! Ian your design looks really nice, I too enjoy the openness of the design. I was reading this thread, and Diad said something about the design not being able to support flexible materiel. Although, I understand what he is saying, I think this can be resolved with your design. Have you any design ideas in the works already? I could see a cylinder running from the top of your "C" shape preventing the a bend in any flexible material. Maybe something you attach when only using flexible material? Anyway, I'm enjoying reading this thread and my UM2 is scheduled to ship out the week of March 3rd :shock:; so I'm hoping to contribute as much as I can.

a quick update.

I got home late last night after having to wait in Leipzig the whole evening to collect my girlfriend.. groannn... so didnt have to much time to experiment sadly...

THATS IT.... thats my update..

:wink: LOLL

ok now back to work...

This is what I found out:

I tested the last one meter of a 2 year old blue PLA reel last night. I printed my simple text cube. There was massive tension in the filament. I almost wipped the arm off me from curling it out.. so very interesting to see what happens.

At a speed of 60 temp 220 it printed without zero problem.

Only when I rose the print speed above 70 did the filament start to gutter through the feeder.

Interesting enough, when I put my finger on the bottom two metal wheels.. they almost did not turn under the massive pressure from the curled filament. So i slid my finger over the turning bend and pulled it down even lower. to increase the radius of the turning curve of the filament and then the flow improved again greatly.

So my idea is... simply extend the flow arm lower down so it will work with new and old filament OR... make the flow arm extendable ?

OK other topic... the use of flexable PLA

I was chatting with a good friend last night about flexable PLA and as I was driving home... I had an idea...

Take the round simple modular nature of my design... and add changable click on lids..

Each lid is round and flat and with a special guidance system designed onto it.

The user simply clicks on...

THE KID PROTECTION LID... no inner system just a protective shield.

THE FLEXI LID.... a special guidance system for flexable material..

HULK LID.... extra strong and durable... sounds like im selling condoms... LOL

Or the user likes the hands on approach and keeps it all open. Personally I love the fact that I can see the whole system and touch everything.......

Another idea is !! a little more work but interesting.. a clip on lid that had functions for normal pla and then flexable pla.. you simply turn the wheel upside down and the new functions locks in..... ;-) Doable guys !!

So... exstended arm for new and old filament.... changable systems lids...for different material and a better modular conpression unit on the left...

PLUS... I think it is right to introduce a bigger diameter extruder drive wheel and... I really want to test an opposing force using a rubber wheel or a rubber belt....

Ian :smile:

from only reading this one sentence I know I need more sex in my life.... LOLLLLLLL

Or the user likes the hands on approach and keeps it all open. Personally I love the fact that I can see the whole system and touch everything.......

God, Ian.... reading your extention post makes sure - you definitely need more sex :mrgreen:

Anyway, great engineering work!! looking forward to see the final thing and the ideas to backmerge to the UM1...

Make sure you don't over engineer everything and make it all too complicated. The more things included means more possibility of breaks lol. HULK condoms... I need that size :p

KISS

keep

it

simple

stupid

Ian ;-)

Did you just kiss me after I told you I needed hulk size protection bhahahaa :p

Hey you horny squirrels, stay on topic or else we'll scare away the other righteous forum members...

Stefan

[Head of Horny Squirrels Department]

Ian,

At the risk of belaboring the point, I do not yet have an UM2. Not in my plans as of yet...

I didn't realize how steep the angle is going from the spool to the feeder.

The first move I would make in any upgrade to this feeder is to make the centerline of filament in the feeder closer to tangent to the coiled filament. It looks to be maybe a 60deg misalignment. I don't think 0degs (perfect tangent) is optimal either. The feeder/spool alignment on the UM1 seems about right. Never noticed that problem with it, so its probably a good example to follow.

You could do this by rotating the feeder some degs away from the spool which would most likely result in a longer bowden. Other wise the feedet or the spool needs repositioning.

I think the rollers you have added to the bottom address the problem, but at the same timemake it worse. Extending them more will pronounce tthe problem in my opinion.

Matt

Something to consider. I know people use various dust filters around the filament. I don't know if they help or not. Your current design does not seem to allow these filters to work as intended. I suppose something could be set up to hold the filter away from your bearings above the power cord.

Hello,

I had a little time to draw me after my extruder.

I took one of the ideas of Ian. Good idea indeed! :cool:

I did not have on hand ball bearing, pulley But doing a little larger ... I'll have to try it when my printer will be repaired.

About the repair, my parts are blocked on Paris by Morry and Ducros ... = Fast DHL, France, Mory .... it is not very well thought ... It will change carriers!

Well, then, it remains for me to show you previews.

Extruder V3

Bras guide V3

@ +

Alexandre.

Hi Jan, and Hi to all the others participating in this thread.

First of all i want to say "Great work and thanks for the help".

Just got my Ultimaker and after ~10h of printing i´m already having the trouble with underextrusion you are mentioning in your start post. After reading this thread i took a closer look at the extuder and the problem was identified.

Maybe i can contribute in solving this issue. But first i want to know if i´ve understood the problem right:

There are the following issues with the U2 Extruder:

- Filament is not going straight into the extruder -> heavy friction

- Filament is not leaving straight into the extruder -> heavy friction

- The lever with the ball bearing has not enough space to move and therby the force of the bearing against the nut is not enough to savely press the filament against the knurled nut.

Did I miss something?

There may be the ABS end of the extruder black caches that could have adhered to the nozzle.

There may be small white part(Teflon or PTFE) which are retracted and that blocks the passage. This goes along with the filament which expands when it comes into hot zone.

There may be the ABS end of the extruder black caches that could have adhered to the nozzle.

There may be small white part(Teflon or PTFE) which are retracted and that blocks the passage. This goes along with the filament which expands when it comes into hot zone.

I have cleaned the nozzle path and the extruder is still weak. So I doubt this ABS theory.

Ok !

There are the following issues with the U2 Extruder:

- Filament is not going straight into the extruder -> heavy friction

- Filament is not leaving straight into the extruder -> heavy friction

- The lever with the ball bearing has not enough space to move and therby the force of the bearing against the nut is not enough to savely press the filament against the knurled nut.

Please call it a "feeder" not an "extruder". The extruder includes both the feeder, the bowden, and the hot nozzle.

You can easily test you feeder with the "pull test":

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/4222-pulling-force-of-um-extruder/

People have "fixed" over 30 issues and it is unclear if any of them caused underextrusion.

For example replacing the teflon part in the head.

Cleaning out the nozzle.

Putting filament reel on floor.

Adding a second bowden before the feeder to guide the filament better into the feeder

Fixing the square nut that can tilt the extruder stepper motor.

Moving the knurled sleeve of the feeder down the shaft a little.

loosening the 4 bolts of the print head

loosening the 4 bolts of the feeder (too tight and the arm can't move)

fan blowing on the PCB under the UM to keep stepper driver cooler

removing junk from the bowden that clogs the filament (when you change filament tiny pieces can get stuck in the tube and cause jams)

That's all I remember this moment but there are at least 10 more possibilities.

It's unclear if any of these things are actually a problem.

Most of the above issues were performed by someone who then claimed that his under extrusion problems went away.

Hm, thank you for the update.

My first suggestion is already on your list. Putting the filament reel on the floor should defnitly lower the friction force.

I will give it a try.

Geeks,

I just printed your feeder on YouMagine. I think I'm going to hold off installing it until the release of your next version (or Ian's feeder is available for download). The progress being made is amazing, have you noticed a big improvement with your filament guide? I'm printing the pulley right now.

Hey, great that you printed my pieces. :cool:

To answer your question:

Tomorrow I have to get the carrier spare parts of hot-end.

From there, I'll print the parts of the new installation. Once installed, I would put up some pictures.

I think released by the weekend. :mrgreen:

Great! I stocked up on M3 screws. I should probably get another bearing...

Could you direct me in the right direction to order an identical bearing to the stock extruder?