Ultimaker2 Feeder System - Improvements and Ideas

Posted · Ultimaker2 Feeder System - Improvements and Ideas

Hi Guys

Just wanted to post a few images of a HP printer that I kind of dismantled when nobody was looking earlier today :p I didn't have much time to really check things out unfortunatly.

Here are the feeders at the back, dual tubes as this machine prints support material.

photo 4

This was a great little feature... at the rear of the build bed you can see that shiny object that I have circled in yellow... this is a small wire brush. At various times throughout the print the nozzle`s get thrown into the brush a few times to keep the residual plastic from sticking and clogging the end of the nozzle... snazzy :)

photo 5

Couple pics of the main unit:

photo 2

photo 1

• Replies 961
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Didn`t see the exact model, but its a HP designjet ****? The customer I was at said he purchased it a few years ago for £12,000 !! :)

Smaller build plate than the UM2 !

Ok first parts of the Spoolholder are fninished and work as intended. Just a little more time and the test is done.... maybe 1 to 2 days.

Here is a pic of the stuff that is printed so far and assembled:

DSCF0016.JPG

very nice looking design ! :-)

What are the specifics of the metal ball bearings ? They look massive.

Also how do they stay in position ? is there some sort of attachment system between the plastic body and the ball bearings ?

Ian :-)

Specs and models:

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/4393-ultimaker2-feeder-system-improvements-and-ideas/page-15&do=findComment&comment=42956

the ballbearings are attached via spacers. The feederholder is currently missing. It should be finished in about 10-12h. The all i have to do is printing the 80mm fanholder and it is finished.

DSCF0017.JPG

DSCF0018.JPG

Exciting !

Wow looks very cool indeed nice work :) and clever design ;)

Okay folks. Update time:

Ok just as a foreword, the parts are usable but still need some finetuning. That will be done easily though. I just hope nobody started printing this :D

And now Photo time :D

Spoolholdeer%20with%20Feederholder.JPG

Isn't she a beaty with the feederholder? The fanholder still needs to be done, but for now i can use the rest of the brim to hold the fan :D

And here a first test with the new spoolholder with 140% speed. I think i will never go faster because 140mm seem to be the point where adhesion problems begin. That i will leave to someone else to fiddle around with.

Extrusion%20test%20140mm%20per%20sec.JPG

The final files will be uploaded to youimagine in the next day(s) so stay tuned :D

can you take a photo of it plugged in and mounted with some PLA.. would love to see the final look :-)

Here you go :D needed to black out some stuff though.

Spoolholder%20Mounted.JPG

ahhhh very cool :-)

when you have time... a few more photos showing it from the other side would be nice... I really like your idea !

Spoolholdeer%201.JPG

Spoolholdeer%202.JPG

Spoolholdeer%203.JPG

Spoolholdeer%204.JPG

Spoolholdeer%205.JPG

Whoa! Takei, nice work. Certainly looks impressive :)

:-) i like it :-)

can i ask.. why do you have a second fan positioned over the side.. blasting air down onto... nothing ?

wonder has ultimaker changed something in their UM2 assemble.. because there quite a few new users that have received their printers recently and straight out of the box.... are suffereing from severe under extrusion...... :sad:

I know my bad under extrusion only really started 3 or 4 weeks after i got my ultimaker.. same with a lot of other users..

The only way I can get a print out atleast as a usable part is printing very slow with a massive temprature of 260, you can actually hear the filament burning and crackling in the hotend.. anything less than 260 and massive under extusion, feeder motor skipping....

Ian

gallery_34435_687_57325.jpg

Hi Ian, are you not using your new feeder design? http://www.ultimaker2.com/

Ah yes, there it is much worse than what I had when I started having this problem.

Since I use my V2 diet, I print without problems and extrusion power.

Wow Ian, the robot looks like it was ment to be voronoi style.

But this case of underextrusion is very extreme. It wasn't that bad even with my old UM2. Are you sure it is not something else?

i have two setups at the moment.. a seperate board with my designed test rig and im changing that in and out all the time with new designs and i have a motor to push the filament through.. then i put the original feeder back onto the actual printer... so I can still learn from the default perspective what the hell is going on with that thing...

Maybe you messed up the assembly somewhere. Because if anybody had such bad underextrusion/printer there's no way they would accept it (and won't return it to UM).

I had this sort of thing a while Ian.

I partially solved when I put copper grease on the spun the nozzle.

I also put my extruder which pushes hard. Version 2.

I cleaned several times the nozzle (pieces of box abs ...)

But now it's not so bad prints.

the last image is something i spotted on the forum this morning from another user.. i would be surprised if he didnt ask for a replacement with results like that....

Well, my feeder finally failed today. The guide ring split apart as it did for... blanking on his name now, sorry about that. The ring split and basically locked the idler bearing in place while the filament ran between the hard and sharp edges of the split ring. Interestingly it kept printing... It did skip a wee bit on the first layer. I heard what sounded like a skip but the filament only moved back about 1mm due to the crazy friction it must've been under.

But, this is while running at 1.5A to the extruder motor. Seems it's pretty damn strong for me at that setting to be able to keep printing under those conditions.

Looks like I'll have to re-design after all. I'm thinking a frankenmonster mix between Ian's open design and my version of owen's pressure arm. Maybe... I dunno, we'll see how inspired I get. It's annoying that it happened when I was finally printing something for myself.

@Ian

Ok :)