Ultimaker2 Feeder System - Improvements and Ideas

Posted · Ultimaker2 Feeder System - Improvements and Ideas

I haven't seen anyone do it but I see no reason why it wouldn't work with a few tweaks to the firmware.

I find the idea of direct driving the filament very attractive though and I sure don't miss the sound from the old extruder hehe.

• Replies 961
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh and I should say I'm still working under the self imposed restriction of only using parts already available on the machine (except for one 30mm M3 screw).

Robert, I like that restriction. If a design is going to have popular appeal then it will be necessary to make it as easy as possible for people to implement. Hard to get parts like "the spring from my junk box" would kill it.

That`s a good point woofy! Although I have to say, since building my " Happy Corner " and installing the funkiest printer on the market... I seem to be collecting every single nut, bolt, spring, screw, washer.. bit, bob, every bloody thing you`ve ever known.. with the hope it`ll come in handy on that one design on day... :p

I must take a recent picture of my messy man cave !

I had the problem where the filament spool would lie on a lazy susan and rotate slowly while it was pulled by the extruder. Then suddenly several filament layers/strands jumped off the spool and formed a knot that got stuck in the extruder. Maybe this was due to badly spooled filament (where the strands would cross each other).

Worked on it a bit more today. No huge changes yet. Still toying around with a couple of ideas.

feederRender

three little wholes on the top bottom and right and you can offer user the option to load it NAKED... or click on a single piece lid with a guide that brings the filament right to the centre and then back out again... i love the idea of having the easy option.. click on or click off...

Looks very sexy Robert !!.... :-) :-)

Ian :-)

im not sure about the other guys.. but im dieing to get Roberts feeder on my ultimaker2 !! :-) :-)

Things always look better on a render... will look rubbish in real life haha :p Kidding Rob! Looks great!

Yeah the removable guide thing was one of the things I was playing around with late last night. Here it is, doesn't it look fantastic? :D

sketch

I wasn't sure how to mount something like that but three holes around the circumference might work. Will probably have to fatten things up for that though as there isn't really much wasted material in this thing (the lower part actually has a tiny section of bowden as a low friction guide embedded in it).

@Skint: Aint that the truth. It's always a bit disappointing to see the real thing pop out, it never lives up to the hype :p

Wow Robert! I'm excited to try this one out.

Don't get too excited, I haven't even tried it myself yet. No idea if it'll actually work well hehe.

Spent a few hours tinkering with a snap on guide and well... I dunno :/ I'm not feeling it. It's late, time to sleep on it.

extraGuide

Update for my Spool holder design

I just added Spool Covers so the filament cannot unspool far and hop off the Spool.

Here are some pics :D

DSCF0001.JPG

DSCF0002.JPG

DSCF0003.JPG

Sadly that Spool Cover Snapped but it represent pretty well what i intented though.... since then i made a special version to prevent the snapping for ABS

Takei, I like the idea... but it concerns me a bit that the filament could be tangled anyway on the original spool and this cover makes it even more harder for it to untangle itself ? There is deffinatly a spool design waiting to happen though, I am having issues with filament from 3 suppliers now. Ultimaker filament is crap when it gets to the last 3rd. Faberdashery is unspooled anyway and usually ok, but my last reel tangles everywhere and is a nightmare to untangle... and errr cant remember the last one lol :)

Im sure some of the other members could also cook up some interesting design approaches to this question..I want to finish my new feeder system.. present it to the world during my public presentation at germanys biggest 3d Fair Fabcon in two months and then I can start into this.. or another ultimaker project that is even more... tasty... :wink:.. and complex... god help me....

Ian :smile:

Would be nice to see some sort of indication on what direction you're going. Am I wasting my time? After all, your job is to design stuff, I'm just a dude fumbling around in the dark until he finds what he's looking for.

Sounds like my life in general Robert :p

Would be nice to see some sort of indication on what direction you're going. Am I wasting my time? After all, your job is to design stuff, I'm just a dude fumbling around in the dark until he finds what he's looking for.

Hi Robert.. I think your low friction approach could give better results and im really excited about testing this.

But being honest, I think alot of the problems could be solved with simply a bigger snurled wheel with a better grip design and a better larger counter pressure wheel to give the filament a little squeeze.

I sadly dont have the money to buy the maschine I need to produce these ideas... very sadly and hope that maybe ultimaker can do these ideas in their workshops...

So then what can I do.... there is another approach... handling the filament like a baby.. without damaging it in anyway.

I can already do this... filament flow with zero deformation which is very cool... also my design can allow the flow of 3mm and 1.75mm filament without changing anything ;-)... all i have to do now is take my concept.. my design and my 2 big test rigs that are at the moment rolling.. and bring the design back to basics and make the overall design simpler.

The core concept of baby handling filament is now proved to work with is... nice :-) now I want to go back and develope this idea to a beautiful simple solution.... :-)

can you image what I could be doing with my time If I was granted the chance of doing this full time for ultimaker.........

ps.. i dont know if there is live stream to the big 3d fair in germany in 2 months... but I will be showing my new designs there for the first time.. photos videos and of course tests rigs... should be great fun :-)

. ..I'm just a dude fumbling around in the dark until he finds what he's looking for.

Sounds like a good plan to me. :cool:

Am I wasting my time?

No i like the look of your design with the snap on guide perhaps this would allow me to use the ninja flex material :smile:

No i like the look of your design with the snap on guide perhaps this would allow me to use the ninja flex material :smile:

it probably will !.. click on lid design with guided right up to the wheel then pushed up and straight back into the guide...

Should work :-)

So while i'm working on my other feeder design i needed one for the time being as my original one was totally wrecked on the inside. I used geeks's for a few weeks but noticed it started to wear itself out aswel. So i decided to try and add some metal to it. I found a coilspring with a inner diameter of 4.5mm and mounted it in the filament path up to the drive bolt. Also i placed a smaller piece in the upper part from the drive bolt to where the filament enters the bowden tube. I've been using it for a few days right now and i havent had any wear on either the filament or the feeder itself anymore.

Just thought i'd share it so somebody else may use it in their design

The other advantage of using the spring is that it guides the filament into the feeder and keeps it at a nice angle.

i really like the simple idea of the metal spring as filament guide at the bottom.. very nice idea !

Rick,

I'm pleased Ian can see it, but the rest of us lower casts don't have permission to view it. Have you made it Public?