Ultimaker2 Feeder System - Improvements and Ideas

Posted · Ultimaker2 Feeder System - Improvements and Ideas

Also make sure you read back a page or so, a couple of people had issues with the length of the arm not being enough. I posted a couple of modified files for that but no one has reported back if it worked or not...

IRobertl

Sorry i have not given you any feedback on your modified files, i have printed them and assembled it and fitted it to my machine. but it would be unfair to comment yet as to wither it works ok as i am having massive under extrusion again with my machine, which is not related to the feeder as i have fitted the original feeder back on and i get the same results.

Hopefully after speaking to the hot end designer at ultimaker on the phone yesterday i will have a solution by the end of the week and then i can give you some proper feedback and then you can re-design the adapter :wink:

• Replies 961
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

and also discussing the topic with the audience.. will be a crazy think-tank of people.. :smile:

Ian :smile:

And here I was, thinking that was what this thread was about...

Robbert...

how the hell do you print that spacer ? mine keeps melting on the spot (printing pla at 200c no heated bed)

it then gets stuck and turns into a blob :D

In hindsight I should've skipped the spacers and just told people to buy longer screws that bottom out before squeezing the case :lol:

Here's the Gcode I used. I shut off bed temp manually just after starting the print:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eoc3ky67wlorga5/feeder_v4_spacerUseSpiralize0.7.gcode

In hindsight I should've skipped the spacers and just told people to buy longer screws that bottom out before squeezing the case :lol:

Here's the Gcode I used. I shut off bed temp manually just after starting the print:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eoc3ky67wlorga5/feeder_v4_spacerUseSpiralize0.7.gcode

i'll give it a go running a 2 hour print atm so will start it after this one :)

pla temps 220 ? and you did let the heatbed heat up (i manually turned it to 0 in the settings before the print)

edit :

OMFG! your gcode scared the shit out of me after the ultimaker was making strange noises but god dam it made perfect items !

Hi iroberti

I am now able to give you some feedback on your feeder after geting the extrusion issues fixed, And i am happy to report that your feeder works for me with your modified files you posted...

I tested it with illuminarti tougher extrusion test and i was able to complete it 15mm 3/s and i had no back skipping on the feeder at all, so i would say your feeder works for me :wink:

Now could i ask you to modify the snap on guide for me so i can test it with the little 2m length of ninja flex i have ?

Tougher extrusion test

irobert feeder 15mm extrusion test

Sweet, thanks for reporting back :) I'll get the part updated after I get some very late "breakfast" at 13:30... :p

Thank you,

printed and it fits on ok will run my bit of ninja through it latter on to see what happens....

Hi Iroberi

Just to confirm that you feeder can print Ninja Flex material using your snap on guide which should please some people..

ninja flex robot

Cool :) Now the question becomes, should I replace the files on Youmagine with the new ones? Hmm...

IRobertl, just printing out the body part of your feeder design. Looking good so far! :smile:

Cool :) Now the question becomes, should I replace the files on Youmagine with the new ones? Hmm...

go for it ! :-)

Ian :-)

The Erfurt German 3D Fair is now only 3 weeks away.. ahhh..

I have one working cool concept but not perfect for all filaments yet and I have one much nicer simpler and smaller solution that should answer alot of questions.. but I have to race to get a working prototype going.

Then im going to just lay everything out on the big screen and start talking about my latest ideas and how things could be improved :-)

Ian :-)

Hi IRobertI,

please do. I have started printing your feeder but can't determine exactly where the latest files are to be found. That would definitively help.

I'm looking forward to trying this!

Many thanks in advance and keep the good work :smile:

Nicolas

Done. I also added a gcode file for the spacers as that one seems to have confused people quite a bit.

Sweet, thingiverse link? So this feeder is better than the stock one, and only needs stock parts? Amazing.

I'll print it tonight.

It's better for my needs at least. Don't expect it to be a miracle cure for anything. You need one M3 nut and one 30mm, and one.. short (can't remember the length right now) M3 screw as well.

I haven't put it up on thingiverse yet, maybe I should, but here's the youmagine link in the mean time:

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/alternative-um2-feeder-version-two

Sweet, thingiverse link?

My understanding is that Thingiverse makes you accept a license that says everything you post there belongs to makerbot and they can do anything they want with your design.

I think this was an unintended mistake but it pissed off a lot of people.

I suspect the lawyers claimed they needed this right so that they could host all the designs and display them in multiple formats (such as the 3d viewer which might be construed as *copying* which might violate copyright). Or maybe they needed this right to allow people to download the designs. But still it kind of overrides all those creative commons licenses.

Oh - and competition is good so please support youmagine by posting all your stuff there. We don't want makerbot to have a monopoly on places to find cool things to print.

Youmagine needs to do some serious work on the backend though... Last time I updated the design it took me 10 minutes to change a bit of text and change one of the files because it was so damn slow. When I initially uploaded that particular design it probably took me around 30 minutes to complete. First the uploads of a few files "failed", so I redid the uploads, now I had copies of the same files being displayed... Images didn't show up until a couple of minutes later etc etc. In short it was a pain in the ass to do.

Add to that the super annoying messaging system where I get a link notifying me of a new post, I click the link, I have to login and finally scroll down to find what the new comment was (which is not nested or "grounded" by a quote). In contrast a comment on Thingiverse ends up in my inbox and I can read it right there, nice and simple.

</rant>

Excellent, thank you. Yes, I'll post to Youmagine but it fails so much for me I've given up. All my stuff is open source but people have to ask, I haven't found a place to host it.

Images didn't show up until a couple of minutes later

I had the same problem with thingiverse - uploaded the same picture 3 times before I realized there was a 5 minute delay. Then had to go back and delete 2 duplicates.

But overall I agree, youmagine could use some improvements. But at least it *does* work. And there is a zillion (technical term) designs on there that aren't on thingiverse.

Done. I also added a gcode file for the spacers as that one seems to have confused people quite a bit.

IRobertI,

many thanks. Now printing, apparently the most difficult part will be to find the screws :smile: .

Will keep you posted with feedback as soon as available.

Nicolas

It would be really really great if somebody could do some testing of Roberts new design for:

- NinjaFlex filament (big and long prints like 10 hours or so because short prints of NinjaFlex can be done on UM2 stock feeder)

- Loooong print testing (prints between 20 to 50 hours) to see how it holds up

any takers?

We will ship free filament, both NinjaFlex and standard PLA to the first brave ones (within Europe) that would like to do some testing like that.

Please send me a PM if you're up for it!

Cheers

Daniel