Ultimaker2 Feeder System - Improvements and Ideas

Posted · Ultimaker2 Feeder System - Improvements and Ideas

Just wanted to jump in and provide some feedback after weeks of printing with IRobertI's design.

The design works well, yet I still had issues from time to time. Either because of the filament being grinded, which happened some time during retraction.

filament_issue_05.jpg

I also found out that the filament was eroding the feeder.

filament_issue_04.jpg

At the bottom of it happens when the filament is pulled into the feeder. I printed a filament guide to avoid that issue.

On the left, is when the filament is retracted.

At that stage, I decided to reprint the full feeder once more. I also swapped that weird motor head in favor of a MK8.

filament_issue_06.jpg

As you can see the MK8 is way less harsh on the filament. On top of it, it guides the filament, which helps when printing with Flex PLA.

• Replies 961
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@Flashp0int awesome info. I've printed the feeder but haven't mounted it yet. I did like the point about the MK8 pulley so I went on ebay and ordered them. I'll wait for that to arrive to replace the feeder at once.

I seem to recall there were some extra partse required for IRobertI's feeder (besides the original feeder, some screws i think?) but I can find the post again which mentions that. Anyone who can help me out?

@Robert: Another bit of feedback. Due to the way the bowden tube fits into the feeder, the area where these two parts connect isn't flush. And since the filament is always a bit curved, it tends to catch on the edge of the boweden tube when it is inserted. Don't know how it can be fixed because you don't want the filament to rub against the feeder case.

omg... Of course it does! I've been digging around the forum, on YM in the comments and the generic information and couldn't recall where I saw it. The only place where I haven't looked was the place where I should've started... Sigh :)

Thanks!

I've also have a MK8 laying around for that purpose, nice to hear that works

That Mk 8 pulley image is impressive - I just ordered one too. Looks like a lot less of a filament-grinder than the Ultimaker version, and should reduce friction in the Bowden tube.

What E-step value do you use with it?

I think I posted a longer yoke somewhere in the thread but I can't remember if I updated the file on Youmagine, I think I did.

Also, I know people hate the little spacers and I've tweaked the design slightly to get rid of them. Haven't printed it yet though. Also want to tweak the arm for printability. Inspiration has been a bit low lately though.

Hi Robert

You did increase the travel of the Yoke at my request page 21 of this thread... you also adjusted the guide for me to fit it also on page 22 of this thread....

I am also testing UltiArjan feeder a page back and it is working well, but i did have to increase the travel on the yoke for that too by 2mm, next is to test some ninja with it.....

This MK8 knurled bolt/mantle looks indeed very nice. Where did you get it?

I bought it http://www.ebay.com/itm/191149412325, seemed the easiest (also bought a piece of bowden tube in the same store, since I was ordering anyway :) )

I have not checked E-Steps for now (not an expert), but I push Material Flow to 106%.

With Ultimaker filament and 106% material flow I already did about 1,5 spool of filament and 17+ hours prints.

Also, still trying to find the optinal retraction setting with MK8. If I find anything, I'll post here.

E-steps calibrate the number of stepper-motor steps per unit (mm) of filament movement.

If you have the E-steps or Flow set OK, then retraction shouldn't change. UM defaults retraction to 4.50mm, but many of us use a bit higher value, like maybe 5.50-5.75mm.

Thanks EldRick, I'll try to change E-Steps and let you know.

And thanks for the retraction advise, my settings are off, but I was trying to solve the grind issue with the former pulley. Will restart fresh with your recommendation.

Hi Robert

You did increase the travel of the Yoke at my request page 21 of this thread... you also adjusted the guide for me to fit it also on page 22 of this thread....

I am also testing UltiArjan feeder a page back and it is working well, but i did have to increase the travel on the yoke for that too by 2mm, next is to test some ninja with it.....

I just figured it out myself while doing an extrusion test... I only tested at low speeds ...have just updated the design files with 2mm extra length ...

I'm curious about your ninja test. Just got my delivery of ColorFabb bronze fill today, will try do do a test later this week.

I'm curious about your ninja test. Just got my delivery of ColorFabb bronze fill today, will try do do a test later this week.

Hopefully tomorrow i will get a chance to test the ninja will defo update you, my bronze is on a plane to the UK tonight so should have mine Friday fingers crossed :grin:

Just did a new speed test after I increased the arm lenth on my feeder by 2 mm.

Looks good to me .... certainly as these speeds are way higher than I would actually use..

SpeedFeederUltiArjan

Colorfabb pla, started out at 220 C / 100 % flow, increased temp to 230 above the 3 mm3/s, later on I increased flow to 105%, and over 7 mm3/s I increased temp to 240C.

I had the spring tension at 10.45 mm in this test. I tried before at 12mm, which is fine at lower speeds.

Hi Arjan

I managed to print with ninja flex, it did pop out the feeder on my first attempt, but i managed to print ok after that, did a couple of robots, when i have time i need to do a bigger print to put it thorough its paces. Also i have added my 15mm/s test that went fine also....

ninja 15mm S

do you know what settings you used for the 15mm3/sec test ? (speed/temp/flow) and how much you compressed the spring ? do you use the original UM spring?

I just did a speedtest on the Bronzefill, stopped it at 5 mm3/s as I wonder how bad this stuff is for my nozzle.

You need to follow the Colorfab advice of +/- 104 / 108% flow, underextrusion at 100% even at low speed.

Just printed a ring, it does not have a metal look jet, also not after sanding. Will have to buy some copper polish tomorrow.....

do you know what settings you used for the 15mm3/sec test ? (speed/temp/flow) and how much you compressed the spring ? do you use the original UM spring?

I used colorfabbs pale gold PLA 235 degrees, flow was 100% using original spring, not near printer at the moment so cant measure compression....

Should get my Bronze tomorrow...

Following-up, thanks EldRick for help on and instructions

E-Step with MK8 after measuring 100mm of filament extrusion has moved from 282 to 300, that's 1.06383 multiplier.

Very close to my empirical 106-108% increase in material flow.

Hey guys,

do the UM2 folks know about the MK8? If it is so much better, maybe it will be a good idea to inform them. Even if they won't start to use it for new UM2s, but maybe Daid would add an option to enter/save the e-steps in firmware (as opposed to entering it in Cura's machine settings).

You might write a different estep number with the M92 and store it with the M500.

Hi Geeks

What change or did i miss it ?

The small white piece on the printhead. It is tennu above the spring and take based on the nozzle.

Following-up, thanks EldRick for help on and instructions

E-Step with MK8 after measuring 100mm of filament extrusion has moved from 282 to 300, that's 1.06383 multiplier.

Very close to my empirical 106-108% increase in material flow.

Hi Guys

My MK8 arrived today, so to set it up properly i need to go into machine settings and change where it says E-Steps per 1mm filament from 0 to 1.06383 ?

You might write a different estep number with the M92 and store it with the M500.

Or do it like Dim3nsioneer suggested directly in gcode. You could use the tool Printrun for that (depending on your operating system - check the description for precompiled versions).