Ultimaker2 Feeder System - Improvements and Ideas

Posted · Ultimaker2 Feeder System - Improvements and Ideas

I read the report a few days ago and it was an interesting read indeed. I'm sure lots of people are interested in reading it, maybe put up a dropbox link or something? (before anyone PMs me, I only have a printed copy so I can't share).

Also, cool that you gave my little design a try :)

• Replies 961
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi guys.

I have a little question for you chaps.

Its all lovely us playing with ideas and printing half baked solutions in PLA plastic.

IS or HAS ultimaker sat down since I have been gone and simply designed tested and given out to all existing customers a better feeder ??

If the answer is NO... what do you think of this idea.

I am now working in a large german engineering company specializing in machine construction for the print and postal industry... These old german engineers have been designing and building printers that fill full rooms for over 50 years and the machines they built back then are still working today...

I showed them my ultimaker2 and its feeder.. the old chaps almost fell over off their chairs laughing at the nonsense engineering. They thought it was actually a bad joke what I showed them.

They told me if there was an interest, they could quickly develop an all metal German design solution to the feeding of different filaments into a 3d printer like ultimaker.

This product would be designed to work function and print for a thousand years.. as the germans laughingly said....

Im only pointing out the fact that if In wrong and ultimaker has not addressed this design OOOOPPPSSS... already... then I want to know if there is a costumer base for such a product as my german solution.

No more assing about with designing... just DEUTSCHE TECHNIK...

Let me me know what you guys thing.

Honestly if I get a feeling this is a good idea..... Il push it on my boss and start testing.....

Also if some one knows that ultimaker is just about to release something for this... please let me know... I don't want to take a fall on this in my first 2 months on the job.

Just want to help !

Good night guys.

Ian :-)

Hey Ian,

just check the post above from Bas.

They have improved the feeder with a metal collar (I got my replacement UM2 a few days ago but didn't spot the collar yet - but maybe it is on the inside and invisible from outside).

Other than that the'll improve the feeder in the future with the next re-design.

But you still have Robert's feeder I guess... ;)

Hi everybody!

@Bertho & Robert: I've sent you a PM with a digital copy of the report.

@Ian: I have tried to improve the existing feeder as much as possible within the boundaries of the current tooling. Besides that we are working on a new feeder. However before I started to design something I first wanted to determine the boundary conditions. Therefore I designed the test setup with the torque sensor and the setup in which I tested the different grip wheels. I'll send you a copy of the report with the torque sensor. I now have a rough idea about the amount of torque that I need, so now we can start working on the feeder redesign. This whole process of testing went quite a bit slower than I would have liked. This is because I am also quite busy with the other project that I have to work on.

@Nicolinux: It might be that you still have the old feeder housing. I've attached a picture that shows how you can recognize the revised feeder housing. If you still have the old one, I'll make sure that you will get the revised feeder housing if you want.

DSC_0007.thumb.JPG.c6618333abd7063b271d14e0ec9fbd3a.JPG

Will the new feeder perform better than Roberts + an MK8 gear? If so I would be interested in obtaining one as well for my 1 month old UM2 ;)

It would be nice, if you could design a feeder in the future, without using all the screws from the feeder motor. It's a little bit anoying, that the motor get loose on removing the feeder.

@Conz: I've experienced the same whenever I change the feeder and there is a simple workaround.

You know how?

With this:

IMG 0846

:)

Probably used slightly different than what it is intended for:

IMG 0847

Just don't forget to remove it again afterwards ;)

Hmm, that doesn't look right to me. ;)

Is it possible that the tweezers could fall down?

I remove the penel sheet and secure the motor with a sticky (duct) tape. The small nipple on the bottom of the penel is close to brake for me. :(

No I chose this one because its width causes it to actually press against the feeder motor by using the protective panel as leverage. You can't get it further down and the feeder motor can't move at all.

No wear and tear on any of the screws (only those that attach the feeder, those are pretty much worn out for me)

Btw: Because the axis motor is less deep it's not touching that at all, it's only touching the feeder and the plate.

I don't even have my panels installed most of the time and I tend to just catch the motor and put it on the print plate as I remove the feeder. But then again I'm guessing I've probably removed the feeder more times than anyone in this thread :p

Speaking of... I was just doing some work on the printer and I noticed this. The filament was a bit stuck last night and I had to use a bit of force to remove it and, well, when it came loose my knuckles hit the table. Apparently I was bleeding all over my pretty white machine :D

bleedingForUM

I can't see how smearing blood onto the UM2 does improve the feeder... ;)

Were you trying to color the white filament? :p

Now that it's baptised with blood it will run even better :)

Now the real question is.. did you first put on a bandage or did you clean / took care of your precious Ultimaker? ;)

I'd say he even went so far to first take a photo of the mess. So journalism over self preservation and UM love :)

@Bas: I have the old style feeder and I'll be glad for the new thing (or at least the metal collar if it fits in the old housing).

thx

Speaking of... I was just doing some work on the printer and I noticed this. The filament was a bit stuck last night and I had to use a bit of force to remove it and, well, when it came loose my knuckles hit the table. Apparently I was bleeding all over my pretty white machine :D

We've bleed quite some more on the UM2 prototypes. Which where CNC cut, but did not have a chamfer. So they where razor sharp, and we got quite a few cuts from those.

Oh those are nasty cuts! I used to help out friends with a computerstore with assembling PCs. A lot of people just bought the cheapest cases and those didn't had chamfers either. Nasty nasty business! Lost a lot of blood during those days :)

Have not seen Bas's test report yet, but like to share my "common sense" thoughts of the last week or so.

I was triggered by the ideo of "3poro" (see page 31) to put the fillament spool on the side of the printer. My thinking is that these are factors that influence the friction of fillament in the tube (for sure not complete..);

* bending of the tube, smaller curve - more friction

* twisting of the spool v.s the head position

* misallignment between the natural curvature of the fillament just off the spool v s the curvature in the tube

* position of the "damaged side" of the fillament

So I was thinking how to solve all this with a better position of spool and feeder.

FrictionTubeBending

I think the spool should be more to the middle, to prevent tube bending as much as possible.

friction angle

I also think the spool should be placed in a way the fillament curve direction will not change in the tube

So I created a test setup to play with;

testSetup

CurveFriction

I don't have any real means to measure the impact this setup has on friction, but my gut feeling likes it ;)

Next idea:

create a setup you can mount to the UM2, and have some modulare/flexible way of mounting spool and feeder

- Back plate, to attach the stuff to (still to do)

- mounting plates for feeder(s)

- brackets for spool (ready)

- spool holder (done)

Roughly something like;

ExternalFeederSetup V07   DesignSpark Mechanical

The spool holder ("compact low friction spool holder"sounds good. ..) is derived from Roberts spool holder (the "core1" is unchanged")

CompactSpoolHolder V04 DSM

CompactLowFrictionSpoolHolder

CompactLowFrictionSpoolholder pic2

20140724 183240

Would like to hear if you have good ideas on how to create modular mounting points on this back plate.

Will probalby cutt it in the middle and use the original motor mount and spool mount holes to fix it to the UM2.

:) Arjan

It would be nice, if you could design a feeder in the future, without using all the screws from the feeder motor. It's a little bit anoying, that the motor get loose on removing the feeder.

I did this , see page 28 .... also here I showed how I used a piece of string with some weight attached to keep the motor in place.

uhh sorry to hear about the bleeding Robert ! Hope your hands are all better.

I guess everyone using an ultimaker long enough has lost his or her amount of blood and guts.

I still have a large scar on the inside of my left arm from trying to get a print off the heated glass plate... i guess that bad boy will be there until the day i die...

Hmm nobody tells you about the dangers of 3D printing in advance. Perhaps they should put up a large disclaimer before you're allowed to check out your order notifying you that it can be very addictive, extremely time consuming and that you might get scarred for life...