Ultimaker2 Feeder System - Improvements and Ideas

Posted · Ultimaker2 Feeder System - Improvements and Ideas

Hmmm. Bad luck you guys talking about blood.... cut my finger open on the little clip holding the glass plate... these things are realy sharp... 1st time blood on my printer... try to make it also the last.

• Replies 961
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Speaking of Robert's feeder plus a Mk. 8 gear, I had no luck with that combination. I was unable to tighten the yoke enough to get reliable extrusion.

Ha.. don't think i've ever seen that... my finger will heal... think i'll use a glove next time. Dont like the idea of screwdriver on glas....

Were there any changes in the dimensions of the yoke?

I made it a bit shorter in the version that is in the zip. I found it to be a bit too long for my taste as it was pressing slightly against the feeder wheel when empty. I can make you a longer version, how much longer do you want it to be?

I've re-designed it slightly in the very latest version to make the hub thingy simpler which I should get off my ass and upload to youmagine... But this heat... can't bloody think straight (28-29C in my bedroom at the moment)

I've had a v4 and now I have the v5, no issues. I think the only thing that didn't change between the 2 were the rollers so everything else had to be re-printed, if that is what you mean.

Okay nvmd, Robert himself has got this ;)

It could stand to be a mm or two longer, but I think I've spotted the problem - I don't have a washer on the screwhead end of the spring as is shown in the images on Youmagine. A washer or two there would probably do the trick for me. I'll give that a try.

@UltiArjan

I like you idea for a setup, i just changed the setup of my UM2 after i put everything back in place after a meetup.

I will take pictures this evening if i have a chance to do so.

It's quite similar but the feeder (Robert's) is still in it's initial place. The spoolholder (also Robert's low friction) is nearly perpendicular to it's initial setup and the filament is not taking any left or right direction before the feeder. (It's mounted on a wall)

I had some underextrusion (probably due to a deformed teflon) mainly on retractions and it seems to have a good impact on this (still need to change the teflon). I will do a cylinder test to see if i can get over the 7 - 8mm3/s that i could barely reach last week.

I made some progress, got inspiration from the "DIN rails" as used to mount breakers and stuff into electrical cabinets.

So I designed a back plate, out of 3 parts to mount on the back of the UM2, which will give you 4 rails to mount stuff on.

I like the idea of being able to move the spoolholder(s) from left to right, so if you change color while printing you can move the spool under the feeder. Will also be usefull when we get to dual feeder someday... or experiment with "paste struders" etc....

here's a pic of one of 3 parts (the right bottom part) , it has a left and right bottom part and a middle top part, mounted to the holes of the feeder motors, and a specially made bracket to fit into the originally spool holder holes, on top I will still need to make a clamb for the top part of the UM2 (or fix to 2 existing UM2 screws, not sure jet)

backplate

Not shure if I'll be able to share and publish before I go on holiday in a few day's ;)

Obviously you could also use the components I made separately, It will be simple to make a holder for the "compact spool holder" to fit the "normal" UM2 location.

Pretty awesome shit Arjan! But I have to agree with the rest: Your mods... brr :) It's almost printenstein ;)

edit: Before I give anyone the wrong impression - this is meant as a compliment :)

Frankenstein was a brilliant scientist but everyone associates the reference with the monster. I do not! Someone needs to do the strange experiments to make progress and that is what I was referring to.

I wouldn't dare to modify my printer like that, kudos :)

ha ha ... nice edit ...

by the way, I keeps things fairly simple .... the back plate I'm making is an add-on to the back off the printer. I try to do only things that can easily be reversed.... so no drilling or cutting in the UM2 .... probably the only thing that may scare off some people is taking the feeder motor out of the printer...

@Robert: Quick, the temperature in Sweden dropped below 25°, now get the new revision on Youmagine before the heat strikes again :)

Lies! I just checked, 29C in the shade and 35C on the sunny side. But it's only 27C inside... hehe. But yeah, I need to get the simplified version up. I'll make an effort to get it up tonight. (but again, it's just an incremental update, if you already have an earlier version you wont notice anything as far as performance goes. Should be slightly stronger and easier to rpint though).

By the way this is how my setup is for the moment:

20140728 175302

20140728 175328

20140728 175338

And this is the cylinder test:

20140728 192848

So it looks like it's better this way either that or my teflon went magically back to normal (having no more problems with retractions either)

Whew, just finished disassemblying/reassembling the feeder, after some filament got jammed. I can see why this thread has 34 pages, that thing is a bear to work on.

Good thing my pinky fit in the slot...

Printing out a new feeder has just moved up in priority.

experiment

If you plan on using Roberts, make sure to use the last version (5)

Were there any changes in the dimensions of the yoke?

I am currently testing a yoke what is about 0.8 mm longer.

I have no problems printing with PLA, but PET and especially Nylon are slippery, so trying another Yoke.

I'll be uploading the newest files in a couple of hours (unless I get distracted by something shiny...). Just have to make a couple of new instructional pics and such.

Right, new files uploaded. No more spacers, so hopefully this will be easier for people to figure out. Also "optimized" out one part of the yoke.

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/alternative-um2-feeder-version-two

Robert: Did anything change compared to the test I printed?

Slightly bigger holes and the re-designed yoke I think are the only real differences.

Printing it tonight. Thanks!