• Replies 961
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted · Ultimaker2 Feeder System - Improvements and Ideas

Update time!

I found some gear stock to make the feed gears out of. I have two sets, one tighter set for Ninjaflex and one for PLA/XT filament. I'm using a stepper with a 5:1 gear ratio and initial tests seem very promising. It has tons of grip and doesn't deform the filament very much. An additional plus is the teeth marks stay consistent because they line up with the teeth even after retraction. I am expecting an ED3-V6 in the next week or so so I will update you on how the gearbox performs on our MakerBot conversion.

55fb159a653a6.jpg

55fb1599c2d22.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited) · Ultimaker2 Feeder System - Improvements and Ideas

I will be doing some more testing/refining first but I've been using it for a little over a week now with no issues what so ever. It has tons of torque and even with retraction set to 20mm it never jams or slips.

Here it is printing ColorFabb XT-CF20 with the hardened steel ed3 nozzle at 240C. I need to come up with a better mount than my makeshift openbeam frame but I'm very happy with the function so far.

Edit: I may look into selling a kit with the motor, cable extension, gears, bearings and shafts. I will probably end up making an aluminum or stainless steel frame as well instead of the printed one but the printed one seems to be holding up well so far.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Servus !

I had a little time today in the office and im working on something different ;)

Goint to give this a print tomorrow and see how it works... main objective to print normal and BIG PLUS... handle flexable filament... !

Here is my teaser photo for now... :)

Ian :)

wheelsareturning.thumb.jpg.83c24e0c06336cfd67f45c4ccfb47e2a.jpg

wheelsareturning.thumb.jpg.83c24e0c06336cfd67f45c4ccfb47e2a.jpg

one more photo to show.

some design ideas:

the flow pattern of material is curved to reduce resistance

the wall openings coming close to the centre are closer to help flexable material flow.

the inside wall of the filament passage has do 50% surface contact reduction design.

wheelsareturning2.thumb.jpg.f9aa28fe4e69fc0828bc80fa2cdf1a4f.jpg

Ian :)

wheelsareturning2.thumb.jpg.f9aa28fe4e69fc0828bc80fa2cdf1a4f.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I was thinking that if I cut down the white part above the spring, so the spring did not exert as much pressure for a starting point, it may solve the problem with softer filaments

I could still ramp up the pressure for harder filaments

Ok so here is what I have so far. This started because we want to convert our old Makerbot Replicator 2X to use a 3mm E3D-V6 hotend with stainless steel nozzles for use with carbon filled fillament (see: http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/10141-nickel-plating-nozzles-for-carbon-filled-filaments-updated/)

I started off by making a drive gear type similar to printerbot's (and a few others) version. Everything is currently printed using ColorFabb XT-CF20 filament but the results so far are very promising. I am unable to make the filament "slip" and the motor skips steps before it slips so I'm pretty happy with the pressure on the filament. There is minimal marking to the filament itself. Plastic gears won't work in the long run but it serves as a good test.

I am using an 5:1 planetary stepper (http://www.omc-stepperonline.com/gear-ratio-51-planetary-gearbox-high-torque-nema-17-stepper-17hs191684spg5-p-40.html) but I may switch to a 19:1 or something in between.

MB-Drive%2BGear%2BUpgrade-V6_6.jpg

MB-Drive%2BGear%2BUpgrade-V6_4.jpg

MB-Drive%2BGear%2BUpgrade-V6_1.jpg

MB-Drive%2BGear%2BUpgrade-V6_2.jpg

IMAG0058.jpg

IMAG0054.jpg

IMAG0056.jpg

Hello Mendel! I wanted to ask you something, the motor with the gearbox so that attaches like a normal Nema 17, but how did you manage to change the firmwareper get it going as a Nema 17 since I know that with the speed reducer 'is reduced enough shaft the output gear ???? Sorry to bother you ! Thank you ! Alex Elvis3D

Here's another one :)

20160503_235000.thumb.jpg.98b782fb85d13ee8ce07245fa6fdee01.jpg

20160503_235013.thumb.jpg.2f9f7821c6753476d76448be6594e98a.jpg

20160503_235039.thumb.jpg.9dad164194c036aa8484461d882364af.jpg

A couple of 608 bearings, 2x DIN 467 knurled nut, 2 springs, endless hours with freecad and about 1 spool of pla. I changed the transport ratio 1:2 compared to the original system to compensate for the friction of the gears and to make skipbacks more unlikely in general.

Is there a preferred method to tell the printer that the feeder has to turn twice as much as normal?

20160503_235000.thumb.jpg.98b782fb85d13ee8ce07245fa6fdee01.jpg

20160503_235013.thumb.jpg.2f9f7821c6753476d76448be6594e98a.jpg

20160503_235039.thumb.jpg.9dad164194c036aa8484461d882364af.jpg

I will be doing some more testing/refining first but I've been using it for a little over a week now with no issues what so ever. It has tons of torque and even with retraction set to 20mm it never jams or slips.

Here it is printing ColorFabb XT-CF20 with the hardened steel ed3 nozzle at 240C. I need to come up with a better mount than my makeshift openbeam frame but I'm very happy with the function so far.

Edit: I may look into selling a kit with the motor, cable extension, gears, bearings and shafts. I will probably end up making an aluminum or stainless steel frame as well instead of the printed one but the printed one seems to be holding up well so far.

Hello Mendel! I did not understand how you managed to change the firmware to be able to run properly the engine Gear Ratio 5: 1 Planetary Gearbox High Torque Nema 17 Stepper 17HS19-1684S-PG5 ??? Could you help me ??? In the meantime, thank you very much! Alessandro Romagnoli

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker2 Feeder System - Improvements and Ideas

Haha it works, it works! :D

20160509_200937.thumb.jpg.206ba8f987b219e32a4b0fd267046ddb.jpg

20160509_201001.thumb.jpg.137537b8946cea3b540d8c5de3b8f014.jpg

Can't wait to mount this onto my UM2. The only "special" parts used are 2x E3D springs for the latch. Once tested and debugged this will be released as CC0 ofc.

First manual tests are promising: the huge knurled nuts have an iron grip but leave almost no markings on the filament. The whole thing has a little high inertia because of the combined weight of all the 608 bearings i used. So to the feeder-modding-pros in this thread: What do you think, what are the chances that this assembly will not destroy my printer?

Am right that i can divide filament diameter by sqrt(2) to achieve double feeding?

Like, instead of 2.85mm i dial in a filament diameter of 2.02mm and then the feeder will double it's action? Or are there (apart from the retraction setting) other magic things the cura->firmware toolchain does that totally depend on 2.85mm (wiping, coasting, blabla) that might ruin my prints?

Update: Noooo! Seems the "feeder knurled wheel" (part 1179-B2P-A) and it's small set screw seem to be glued onto the motor shaft? tried to unscrew the set screw with wd40, heatgun, inch-unit-allen key (which is a bit too big and therefore fits extremely tight), it didn't move at all. I thought i tried this before i started but now it seems i didn't. So it looks like i have to replace the feeder motor if i want to try my feeder :-(

The UM2 docs do not say anything about the type of motor used as feeder motor. Only the Z motor is specified in detail. Can i use a regular 1.8° nema17 or is some special motor needed? I think i heard the board is reading the motor feedback to decide for skipbacks. (I have a bunch of ACT 17HS5425/max 2.5A here)

20160509_200937.thumb.jpg.206ba8f987b219e32a4b0fd267046ddb.jpg

20160509_201001.thumb.jpg.137537b8946cea3b540d8c5de3b8f014.jpg

Edited by Guest