Way to determine Scale % of a .gcode file

tigertr0ut

Posted · Way to determine Scale % of a .gcode file

Hello

I am looking to determine the scale % of a .gcode model.

For example, I opened a .stl file in Cura, clicked the model and used the mouse to resize the model visually.

I then sliced and saved the file to a .gcode and printed.

The print was fine, but there are other pieces to the full model, and I forgot to write down the % the printed piece was scaled (so I can apply this scaling % to the other pieces so everything fits).

Is there a way to determine what % the .gcode was scaled since I didn't write the value down?

Thanks in advance

I don't think so: as far as I know, a gcode-file only consists of machine commands like: move the head to this point, start extruding so much material, go to that point, etc. There is no 3D-model shape information in the file, no STL. Basically, it just moves the head and bed around, and dictates the extrusion.

I think the best way is to position your first model on the bed again in Cura, and do the same thing you did earlier. Chances are you are going to end up with the same scaling, because you follow the same reasoning as then. Or take a ruler and measure your printed model, and compare that to your CAD-design.

Hold on there @geert_2.  We may have the Z dimension to work with if the model was scaled "overall".

@tigertr0ut - at the beginning of a Cura gcode file will be a line ";MAXZ".  By comparing that to the Z height of your model you should get a good ballpark number of the scale.  If the MAXZ in the gcode is 27.50 and you know the model is 23.00 then there ya go for a scale of 119.56%.

If you only scaled the XY then you have to jump through some hoops by finding outside wall lines in the Gcode that are parallel, calculate the distance between them, and then add the Line Width to the dimension.  If the print is an odd or organic shape this may not be possible.  Cylinders and holes are tough to figure out even when reading the code into AutoCad.

Yes, that Z-dimension is an exellent idea, I hadn't thought of that.

Most of the time I use an older Cura-version, good enough for my UM2. But that only has a ";Layer count" in the gcode, no ";MAXZ", it seems. But together with the layer height jumps at the beginning of each new layer, that also makes it possible to calculate the total height.

And then double check with your ruler.   🙂

Hey this may be quite late but I found a way.

On Cura, on the preview page for gcode files, the build volume is measured: 220mm(L)x220mm(W)x250mm(H)

which is represented by the build plate which has a 22cm(L)x22cm(W) cross sectioned squares pattern.

Moreover, measuring your g code should be done precisely and just using your best judgement you can get an almost perfect measurement.

NOTE: If you want to get it extremely precise, you could start by placing your g code in Cura and moving to an overhead view, from there you could capture your computers image using snipping tool or any equivalent, and bring that image into photoshop where you could overlay it with finer measurement increments over the build plates cross sectioned pattern. 

• Allowing you to measure precisely, and from there you just bring the original file into the main Cura page and resize it to those dimensions of your g code. 🙂