Ultimaker 2 extruder always skipping; even at highest tension.

Posted · Ultimaker 2 extruder always skipping; even at highest tension.

As the title reads, my UM2 skips at all times, with any filament, at the highest tension... Yes, even during the initial extrusion before the print starts
This only started being this severe today, as previously it would only skip during the first layer; i've already calibrated the bed properly, so the nozzle is not too close to the glass bed.

I would not know what i can do, beside taking the entire printhead apart to check for any type of edge causing friction; or checking the Bowden tube for wear causing friction aswell...

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker 2 extruder always skipping; even at highest tension.

I think the likely cause is some small blockage or constriction in the print head, so you should try cleaning the nozzle using a length filament and by heating the print head (maybe higher than normal -even up to 230 degrees) then allow the head to drop just below 100 and pull out the filament - this usually removes any constriction, you may want to do this more than once.

good luck 

Edited by stu_le_brew

I did something similar to this yesterday, with a wire thin enough to fit through the nozzle; after removing the bowden tube i could get a big chunk of insanely hard PLA out of there, probably filled with contaminations. Tho it didnt help much in the end...
    Ill try the cold pull once today, and see how it goes!

3 hours ago, stu_le_brew said:

I think the likely cause is some small blockage or constriction in the print head, so you should try cleaning the nozzle using a length filament and by heating the print head (maybe higher than normal -even up to 230 degrees) then allow the head to drop just below 100 and pull out the filament - this usually removes any constriction, you may want to do this more than once.

good luck 

ok, i instantly find a problem; the extruder still skips with the bowdentube+filament out of the printhead...

1 hour ago, SlinkySlonkyWoffle said:

ok, i instantly find a problem; the extruder still skips with the bowdentube+filament out of the printhead...

And i found the solution to that, my out-of-frustration highest tension for the extruder was too much for the filament i am using, putting it to the middle resolved this issue...

just wondered which extruder feeder your UM2 has - is it white or black, black being the older and weaker in terms of torque

The mid position is usually correct for either feeder.

Just for your info I have been using a Bondtech geared extruder feeder form many years with some really good results, It was first available before Ultimaker came out with the upgrade to the white feeder. I would never go back

On 7/10/2022 at 2:22 PM, SlinkySlonkyWoffle said:

I did something similar to this yesterday, with a wire thin enough to fit through the nozzle; after removing the bowden tube i could get a big chunk of insanely hard PLA out of there, probably filled with contaminations. Tho it didnt help much in the end...
    Ill try the cold pull once today, and see how it goes!

in my first reply I did say to use filament to clean the inside of the nozzle, as any contamination inside the nozzle will stick to filament and be pulled out

I would not use any metal inside the nozzle personally

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, stu_le_brew said:

just wondered which extruder feeder your UM2 has - is it white or black, black being the older and weaker in terms of torque

The mid position is usually correct for either feeder.

Just for your info I have been using a Bondtech geared extruder feeder form many years with some really good results, It was first available before Ultimaker came out with the upgrade to the white feeder. I would never go back

in my first reply I did say to use filament to clean the inside of the nozzle, as any contamination inside the nozzle will stick to filament and be pulled out

I would not use any metal inside the nozzle personally

I have the black extruder block, but it seems to all be fixed finally!

hope it stays fixed

good luck

• Like 1