Cura 5 wall issue

stejan

Posted · Cura 5 wall issue

I am gradually trying to migrate my slices from Cura 4.13 to Cura 5. However, there seems to be a few issues in 5 which i dont encounter in 4. The main one for me at the moment is when its doing the walls. For some reason when it goes round the outer wall, it backtracks a short, or sometimes longer distance before going round a second time. This can sometimes dislodge / disturb the print, especially on the first layer. Cura 4 doesnt do this, it just does a continuous line.

I hope this makes sense has it is difficult to explain? I have checked through the settings, and has far has i can tell, they seem to be the same has i have in Cura 4. Am i missing something?

I have seen this behavior on the initial layer, but only with the skirt.  The 3 loop skirt I use is also laid down as Outside Loop, Inside Loop, Middle Loop.  In Cura 4.x it was a concentric motion from Outside to inside.  I would assume at this point that it is treating the skirt as a model with two outer walls and a middle wall.

That "back up" motion is something I've seen but I can't explain why it is doing it.  Maybe @nallath can shed some light on it as I am curious as well.

13 minutes ago, GregValiant said:

I have seen this behavior on the initial layer, but only with the skirt.  The 3 loop skirt I use is also laid down as Outside Loop, Inside Loop, Middle Loop.  In Cura 4.x it was a concentric motion from Outside to inside.  I would assume at this point that it is treating the skirt as a model with two outer walls and a middle wall.

That "back up" motion is something I've seen but I can't explain why it is doing it.  Maybe @nallath can shed some light on it as I am curious as well.

Lets hope @nallath spots this and offers their opinion. Thanks for your continuous help 👍

The thing with complicated algorithms like this is that you have a lot of "emergent behavior". It can happen that certain behavior happens, without a developer explicitly stating that it should happen (as it's the result of two or more other rules). That also means that when you change one of those rules, you suddenly change the undesigned (but desirable) behavior

1 hour ago, nallath said:

The thing with complicated algorithms like this is that you have a lot of "emergent behavior". It can happen that certain behavior happens, without a developer explicitly stating that it should happen (as it's the result of two or more other rules). That also means that when you change one of those rules, you suddenly change the undesigned (but desirable) behavior

Is there anything i can do to stop it though? Im having to go back to 4.13 at the moment has 5 is just too unpredictable it seems.

I have been running into this exact same issue with my latest prints using Cura 5 and 5.1beta. It has happened on parts of my models as well, specifically when printing circular forms such as screw/bolt holes in models. The outer perimeter will print, then the nozzle will backtrack 1-2mm, and then start the next line. I have never experienced this in previous versions of Cura, and I'm here hoping that someone might have an answer. Last time I had an issue that didn't seem to have a common or easily solvable fix, it was a hidden setting in the new version of Cura.

If anyone discovers the mussed setting, or a way to prevent this new "lurch/backstep" from happening, I would be very appreciative.

I think it's a combination of settings as Nallath mentioned.

What leads me to believe this is the fact that it doesn't always happen.  When I hit on the right combination it does it.  I haven't had a problem with walls though.

I'll pay better attention and see if I can catch the combo.  My base settings profile doesn't do it so it must be one of the options I occasionally use that trips the behavior.

image.thumb.png.7d3e49d8f189668853437a70028b2e25.png 

The image to the left is the problem between cura 4.9 and 5.1.  The holes in the wall are very obvious.  This is one problem with volunteer driven projects, and is becoming more frequent.  Software products that are in any market for the long term, don't evolve, they are carefully designed by people who know what they are doing.  I found many problems in Cura 5.0 that have been amplified in 5.1, and had to go back to 4.9 to get back to a working product.  There are several solutions to this problem but at this time, Cura needs to be taken back to a stable code base and forked.  In any case,  I go back 50 years in this business and still have code in the field that was written over 40 years ago and has been both maintained and upgraded over the last four decades.  I stopped using cura because of problems that suddenly showed up from all this "AI" that has been added.  Go back to the basics before you upgrade this program to extinction.