How to use Skeinforge ?

unclebobtech

Posted · How to use Skeinforge ?

I have installed Marlin on my Ultimaker. I use SkeinPyPy to slice the object and use Printerface to print.

I don't really like Printerface because it lack the realtime control on Replicatorg but Replicatorg don't work with Marlin (I think).

I also find SkeinPyPy a big buggy and lag the control I need. For example how to make the base print more plastic etc.

So I am thinking of slicing with Skeinforge. However I can't find any online manual. Can anyone send me a link or something ? Thanks.

The "manual" of skeinforge can be found at

http://fabmetheus.crsndoo.com/wiki/index.php/Skeinforge

Not that it will help you much. As every described settings requires you to actually know what the setting is used for before you understand the manual description.

If you want Skeinforge, I suggest trying the Alpha4 of SkeinPyPy. Which still allows you to access all Skeinforge settings, but has sane defaults for the Ultimaker.

Pronterface/PrintRun allows some for of realtime control, you can still control the temperature. And you can use M220 to control the speed. The PrintRun with SkeinPyPy-Beta4 has a realtime speed control feature. (but no extrusion control)

Also, Marlin can work with ReplicatorG, if you configure Marlin right. The Marlin from SkeinPyPy doesn't work with the current version of ReplicatorG.

Cura = SkeinPyPy. So I'm wondering what you find buggy about it? It "takes" some control away from you. As designed.

But the "base needs more plastic" feature has been requested, and I've been thinking about it. But there are multiple ways that I could do it. For example, you could just make the first layer thicker with more plastic. But you could also remove the first layer completely, and make the 2nd layer double as thick (so you keep the right dimensions). I don't want to be SF and offer all options, so I'm thinking about what the best option would be, and how to configure it in the best way.

SkeinPyPy for mac hangs very often and need to reboot the mac. The expert settings don't seem to work i.e. all the settings there aren't saved and can't be used. It seems the max travel speed is 100mm/sec and the layer height can't change to 0.35mm.

Pronterface count down really get into my nerve. I will have to find where the M220 setting is. The reason need to control the flow of plastic at the first layer is that a lot of plastic is drained before the print begins and so when it actually does it does not have enough plastic to make it stick.

Yeah, the mac version is very buggy. It's also marked as problematic, and gives you a big warning about it. It's actually wxPython for MacOS which is behaving VERY buggy. I worked around a few of the problems. But it also seems the problems are different per user. (Depend on MacOS version?)

The countdown has nothing to do with pronterface. That's the M109 countdown, pronterface just shows what the firmware tells him.

M220 is just a command you can send. You can send it trough the pronterface command line window on the right, or add custom buttons yourself. "M220 S100" sets the speed to 100%, "M220 S200" sets the speed to 200%.

So I am thinking of slicing with Skeinforge. However I can't find any online manual. Can anyone send me a link or something ? Thanks.

It's more 'reference' than 'manual' and, like daid said, there's a bit of a learning curve. I don't think it's THAT hard, though.. The trick really is to resist the urge to poke at all 693 settings and learn (then stick to, while you're still new) the 5-6 that really matter.

A good starting place is

http://wiki.ultimaker.com/Sprinter#Spri ... _and_later

for some basic settings. It's a bit dated but should get you started. Ignore all the stuff about sprinter - we're all on marlin now.

......SkeinPyPy-Beta4 has a realtime speed control feature. (but no extrusion control)...........

Hi Daid !

As i know SkeinPyPy is older name of todays Cura ... why did you removed this option from CURA ? Or is there that option in development version ?

tnx

It is in development (actually, I commited it to the Cura printing interface only yesterday)

However, the version of printrun that comes with Cura still has this. The older SkeinPyPy versions did not come with a printing interface inside of Cura itself, so PrintRun was always used.

great tnx i find it !