Ironing Issues

Posted · Ironing Issues

Hello,

I'm having ironing issues on this part. It begins ironing the left side fine, then it just becomes very rough. I printed a second piece incase there was a screwup, but it had the exact same pattern. Here are my settings. Everything else I left default in Cura:

Settings:

• PLA
  • Standard Quality (using 0.4mm nozzle)
  • Supports (there's a hole on the bottom the needs supports)
  • 20% Infill
  • Z Seam in sharpest corner and hidden
  • Monotonic Top/Bottom Order
  • Monotonic Ironing (only highest layer)
  • Adaptive Layers

Thanks for the help!

image.thumb.jpeg.0c4e2b78bd77f134228b96c82ae73568.jpeg

Posted · Ironing Issues

In the "rough" part I'm seeing some checkerboard pattern.  You didn't mention the printer but if it's a non-Ultimaker printer did you happen to calibrate the E-steps?

If the top layer is under-extruded you could try turning UP the "Ironing Flow" to compensate at least a little.  I'm guessing that this is the problem so try turning the Ironing Flow up to 13%.

If the top layer is over-extruding, you could try turning DOWN the "Ironing Flow" to compensate.  For a reference I run "Ironing Flow" at 7%.

When the combination is an over-extruded top layer coupled with too much extrusion during ironing ridges develop as the nozzle starts to bulldoze material and make a mess.

Posted · Ironing Issues

The top layer (without ironing) is pretty good for checking.  Use a magnifying glass and look at it.  If you can see a checkerboard and the layer below the top layer is visible through gaps (in the top layer) then it's under-extruding.  Each extrusion should be nicely welded to the adjacent extrusion.

If the extrusions show ridges between them then it is likely over-extruding.

A lot of printers need the E-Steps calibrated.  It isn't a difficult process and I'm sure CHEP has a video on YouTube on his Filament Fridays channel.  When the gcode asks for "X" amount of filament then exactly X amount needs to be delivered.  If it is more than X then there is over-extrusion and when there is less than X then it is under-extrusion.