Wham Bam Bed Systems for the Ultimaker 3D Printers

Posted · Wham Bam Bed Systems for the Ultimaker 3D Printers

Hello!

A few months back I shared my experience using Wham Bam Bed Systems on my Ultimaker 2+  

I removed the glass bad and adhered the magnetic sheet and them Wham Bam spring steel bed with PEX coating.

While it did work well, I found two issues and I shared them with WB.  

First was the removal of the glass bed made leveling a bit complicated, since you use up a lot of the spring travel in the bed to get level.  It works but you could wind up with a rather springy bed.  

Second was the spring steel bed has tabs that covered the bed clips, so the clips had to go.

I suggested to WB that they make cutouts in the magnet and spring steel to account for the clips.  They sent me a prototype magnetic sheet and bed for my 2+ and the S5 since I have several of those at work.

The result is fantastic.  I bought a new glass bed from Fabrc8 and used that for my Wham Bam magnet.  They advise waiting 48 hours for the 3M adhesive to cure.

2 days later, I started bed leveling and printing on it.  It really works great!  On my S5's at work, we've had an a PETG print take a chunk of glass out of a bed.  We have done a variety of materials on the surface and we're very happy with the WB product  

I wipe it down before each print with IPA and every few prints, as they advise, I scuff it up with the included steel wool.

Here's my review video below...check it out!  

If you wish you try it out, Wham Bam has offered a 10% coupon code (WNIC2022)

• 2 weeks later...
    • 1 year later...

Purchased this system a while ago but haven't got to installing it yet. Mostly because i read of people where the leveling process pinges into the bed. 

So you use the manual bed leveling process i assume, since you talk about using alot of the spring travel.

(which still is an issue i guess?)

or do you just screw it down so the system is about 14mm and let the auto level do its work?

• 2 months later...
    2 hours ago, Fablab_Descartes said:

Hi, I am interested in knowing how you avoid levelling errors, due to magnetic interference with the capacitive sensor ? Did you manage to deactivate the auto-levelling ?

Thanks

I am using the Wham Bam Bed System on 7 Ultimaker S5's.  We have not encountered any issues with leveling.

The only things we have learned using these for over a year is that it is important to review the Technical Data Sheet on materials.  We learned that Ultimaker ABS can damage the surface so we use glue stick on those prints.  It works very nicely.  The support from WB is very good too, whenever my team has had questions about materials using the surface.

Yeah thanks for helping me out on youtube with the leveling matter. 

funny you mention this about ABS because that happened to me the first print. 

leveled the bed to the point the calibration card is just not touching it.  

this in combination with magigoo works great. 

PETG for that matter sticks perfectly without glue and comes of superclean. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MOTO said:

Yeah thanks for helping me out on youtube with the leveling matter. 

funny you mention this about ABS because that happened to me the first print. 

leveled the bed to the point the calibration card is just not touching it.  

this in combination with magigoo works great. 

PETG for that matter sticks perfectly without glue and comes of superclean. 

You're welcome!  It's a really great surface for printing.

I just did a bunch of ABS prints here and I just run the surface under hot water to get the glue stick off.  A few wipes and its ready to go for the next print.

• Like 1