Cura filling in dome

tajeliason

Posted · Cura filling in dome

I built this dome in blender and am struggling to splice it. The optimal position to print it is lying down on its back for multitude of reasons. When I lay it down though and splice it, Cura fills in the dome itself completely. It does not do this when on its side or when standing upright. If I tilt it at an angle, the splice will fill it in at an angle. See pictures below for clarity. Any ideas of how to work around this?

20220724_213213.jpg

20220724_213221.jpg

20220724_213448.jpg

Hard to tell from the screenshots, but your model is likely not "manifold". This article explains what that means:

https://github.com/Ghostkeeper/SettingsGuide/blob/master/resources/articles/troubleshooting/missing_parts.md

OR you have enabled the "Remove all holes" settings.

On a general note, it is always easier to see what is going on if you share a project file (File -> Save project...). That will give us your model AND your settings, and we can tell you exactly what is going wrong.

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Cura filling in dome

Here is the STL file (Case5.stl) and the gcode file(CE3_Case5.gcode). An additional question if it is not too much. I initially used a half cylinder to form the back and sides of the case. Cura kept on erasing a bit of the back portion so that it would have a hole in the back when printing, I remedied this by flattening out the back of the case, but why was it deleting that in the first place? Attached is the STL Code that this would happen to (Case1.stl).

Thank you for your help with this!

CE3_Case5.gcode Case5.stl Case1.stl

Edited by tajeliason
    Giving gratitude for help

Have you read the article I linked to in my previous response?

When I load your model into Microsoft 3d Builder, it tells me the model is "invalidly defined". You may want to repair it.

I don't mean to come across as pedantic, but I requested a Cura project file, not the stls. The project file will give us both the model AND your settings, sp it will also let us see if there are any settings you could/should change. I really can't say anything definitive without a project file.

Posted (edited) · Cura filling in dome

Sorry about that. Is this the correct file? I just read the article. I see no red in x-ray and have confirmed no immediately visible loose ends. I also tried adding another thin layer to the shell to give it another layer to pass through (turn it from reading it as out to reading it as in), but I think cura saw it as too small of a gap and ignored it. Any ideas? Thank you for your help with this, I am still relatively new to 3D-Printing.

CE3_Case5.3mf

Edited by tajeliason
    update