Duplicator i3 plus, switched to a micro swiss all metal hot end and a 0.6 mm nozzle, initial under extrusion on each line

TT_Vert

Posted (edited) · Duplicator i3 plus, switched to a micro swiss all metal hot end and a 0.6 mm nozzle, initial under extrusion on each line

I know that's a bunch of changes at once.  I don't recall ever having this w/ the other setup.  Looking at the sliced object layer by layer i have determined that the issue is at the start of each line. Most of them are not obvious as the start of the layer is at an inner seam obscuring the defect but it does seem to be there.   it certainly appears to be under extrusion but what do you guys think?   One thing I just noticed while looking at the slice, is that the layers were these holes are the layer is starting in between them so it's like it's not priming enough at the start of each layer..  Any suggestion how to resolve this and perhaps add a bit of priming?   I  played w/ Retraction extra prime amount and changed it to the recommended value of nozzle size cubed (.216mm) but it changed nothing.  Then for the sake of argument I set it to .500mm just to see if it'd do ANYTHING and it didn't.  I also tried a .2mm layer height and it didn't change this either.  I do  have coasting off.  I tried to let cura calculate speeds and it didn't help.   In fact it also added a bunch of stringing (I'd assume due to a lower travel speed) .   The outside walls are perfect but given these are at the end of the extrusion for that line I'd expect that.   I'm still experimenting w/ settings but this print was all defaults w/ the exception of the following.  Any insight or tips would be appreciated.

• Layer height: 0.4 mm
  • Retraction: 2.0mm at 25mm/sec
  • Speed:
    • Inner walls: 80mm/sec
    • Outer walls: 60mm/sec
    • Travel: 150mm/sec
    • Infill: 100mm/sec
  • Relative extrusion: Off
  • Optimize printer wall order:  (True)
  • Wall order: Outside/In
  • Coasting: Off

The speeds are the same I ran before w/ the stock hot end and 0.4 nozzle w/o issues so I don't know if perhaps the larger nozzle isn't able to move the appropriate amount of filmament after a 2mm retraction.  

image.thumb.png.38af3b36cc6ec7cd63957072a1d5f45d.png

IMG_20220726_120029337.jpg

IMG_20220726_120025510.jpg

Edited by TT_Vert

• TT_Vert changed the title to Duplicator i3 plus, switched to a micro swiss all metal hot end and a 0.6 mm nozzle, initial under extrusion on each line
    Posted · Duplicator i3 plus, switched to a micro swiss all metal hot end and a 0.6 mm nozzle, initial under extrusion on each line

Just printed another piece i'm going to be making and a very similar issue occurred.  It seems under extrusion is occurring after a retraction here.   Any help would be very appreciated.  I'm not sure what else to play with here.

Dave

IMG_20220726_222819023_HDR.jpg

Posted · Duplicator i3 plus, switched to a micro swiss all metal hot end and a 0.6 mm nozzle, initial under extrusion on each line

Well, usually the first thing after changing nozzles and extruders is to check how much filament will be extruded under the new conditions. Then the next logical step is to check what the best temperature setup is for this combination and the used filament.