Has anyone build CuraEngine on the Linux board on the UM3 or UM5? (A20-OLinuXIno-LIME21 curaengine port)

burhop

Posted · Has anyone build CuraEngine on the Linux board on the UM3 or UM5? (A20-OLinuXIno-LIME21 curaengine port)

For a research project, I'd like to port  a C++ program that uses the CuraEngine library to the Lime2 Linus board on my UM3.

Right now, I have some Python running there just fine but for the next step, I'm hoping to uses some C++ that includes CuraEngine.  In theory, this should work as it is "just" Debian Linux 8 and I don't need the UI from the rest of Cura or high performance.  I'd like to hear that it is possible (or not) before going down that rabbit hole.

Thanks!

Posted · Has anyone build CuraEngine on the Linux board on the UM3 or UM5? (A20-OLinuXIno-LIME21 curaengine port)

You might just want to grab the cura engine from the appImage files for the linux version of cura and see if it launches as is.  I don't know the answer to your question but someone who probably knows the answer:

@nallath

@ahoeben

• Like 1

Just keep in mind that the UM3 Linux board is very limited from the resources.

Posted (edited) · Has anyone build CuraEngine on the Linux board on the UM3 or UM5? (A20-OLinuXIno-LIME21 curaengine port)
    On 8/18/2022 at 4:36 PM, gr5 said:

You might just want to grab the cura engine from the appImage files for the linux version of cura and see if it launches as is

That's not going to work; the curaengine binary in the appimage is compiled for 64bit x86, which the UM3 (and newer) linux boards don't support. If any version is going to work like this, it is going to be the smartavionics/burtoogle build for the raspberry pi. But I agree with Smithy that the linux board is probably too limited to do any reasonable sort of slicing on the board.

Edited by ahoeben
    • Like 1

1 hour ago, ahoeben said:

That's not going to work; the curaengine binary in the appimage is compiled for 64bit x86, which the UM3 (and newer) linux boards don't support. If any version is going to work like this, it is going to be the smartavionics/burtoogle build for the raspberry pi. But I agree with Smithy that the linux board is probably too limited to do any reasonable sort of slicing on the board.

Yeah, I need it for the Lime2 https://www.olimex.com/Products/OLinuXino/A20/A20-OLinuXino-LIME2/open-source-hardware THis is the Cortex-A7 processor.  Same as RPi?

In my case, we are just doing some minor stuff so no need for full blown CPU slicing

Just to wrap this up, I was able to update the olimex board (apt-get update), and then install cura-engine.  So far, it doesn't seem like I've broken anything for my Ultimaker3 and everything seems to be working (albeit I'm running low on memory).

Thanks for your help 🙂

• Like 1