Ender 3 v2 pause issue

D1ggie

Posted · Ender 3 v2 pause issue

Hello everyone.

So, I have an ender 3 v2 with the jyersUI for about 8 months and I'm having some issues when I need to pause a print to change filament for example.

What happens is that when I make the pause  (in the slicer on directly on the machine) it stops like it's suppose to, but when I resume the print it starts printing too high. About 0.3/05mm higher than the last layer printed.

I already saw one topic here on the ultimaker community but it didn't solved my issue.

Can someone help me?

Thanks.

I can explain a bit and maybe you will get a better idea of what to look at.

• When you pause directly on the printer the firmware handles everything.  It is similar to running a macro in Excel or Word in that the button click calls an internal script.
    • When using the "Filament Change" plugin in Cura, Cura writes a line like:
      • M600 E30.00 U300.00 X0.00 Y0.00 Z5.00 ; Generated by FilamentChange plugin
      • There is no other code added so in that case the printer handles the command including the restart Z height.
    • When you pause using Cura's Pause at Height plugin the "script" is written by the plugin so in that case everything is in the gcode.  Here is an example:

;current layer: 25
    M83 ; switch to relative E values for any needed retraction
    G1 F300 Z6.2 ; move up a millimeter to get out of the way
    G1 F9000 X10 Y10
    G1 F300 Z15 ; too close to bed--move to at least 15mm
    M104 S210 ; standby temperature
    M18 S14400 ; Set the disarm timeout
    M300
    M0 ; Do the actual pause
    M109 S210 ; resume temperature
    G1 F300 Z5.2
    G1 F9000 X126.5 Y103.5
    G1 F300 Z5.2 ; move back down to resume height
    G1 F3111.3 ; restore extrusion feedrate
    M82 ; switch back to absolute E values
    G92 E552.26167

So if there is an error when you Pause using the LCD then it's a firmware issue.

If there is an error when using the Filament Change plugin it is probably either your settings or the firmware that is at fault.

If there is an error using Pause At Height it might be the result of a known glitch that occurs when using it "By Height" and there are Z-Hops in the file (or sometimes when using Adaptive Layers).  When using "By Layer" I have never had a problem on my older Ender 3 Pro and I use Pause at Height a lot.

Speaking just about Pause at Height - what do you use for the actual pause command?

I have this issue for some time, and I have installed the most updated version of jyersUI and even tryed installing the creality original firmware (the most updated one aswell) and neither of them does the pause right.

I use mostly cura and tried the filament change command and the pause at height using M0 and M25.

Still no luck too.

Tried the pause on prusa slicer and don't work either.

Posted (edited) · Ender 3 v2 pause issue

There was a problem with early Creality 4.2.x boards where the firmware for the mainboard didn't talk to the display correctly.  In those cases any Gcode command that sent a message to the LCD Screen (M0, M117, M600, etc.) was simply ignored.

You can try this WORKAROUND.

There is also a workaround using the G4 Dwell command in the "Gcode before Pause" box.  G4 S300 would "dwell" the printer for exactly 300 seconds (5 minutes) and then the printer automatically resumes.  That is the problem with using G4.  It can't be adjusted on the fly and the printer will always pause for "S" seconds with no way to make it shorter, or to extend it if needed.

Edited by GregValiant

You can.  It uses the suggested Pause at Height and then Search and Replace.  There aren't any extrusions, the nozzle runs around pretending to print a skirt and then it pauses (or at least tries to).

Sorry for the delay responding.

I tried your gcode and it does pause the print.

What do I do next?

Follow the link in my previous post.  Then follow the instructions in the old post.

Like this right?

In the replace box I copied the everything you said in the other post.

Screenshot_1.jpg

Screenshot_2.jpg

That looks good.

You can check it again after creating the gcode by opening the Gcode in a text editor like Notepad.  Then search for "M25".

I won't be able to test it for now...

maybe you know the aswer to this issue aswell.

Sometimes my PC crashes into blue screen and restarts.

The thing is that if I have cura opened when it does I can't open it again unless is another version that didn't happened the crash.

Have you ever heard of something like that?

I know it's off topic but I can't test the workaround unless I have cura back. xD

I don't know about the crash thing.  Does the computer come back by itself or do you have to shut it off and bring it back up?

The Cura files shouldn't be corrupted by a crash.  There are some files that get written to during a session and I suppose they could be an issue if your computer problem is a memory issue.  That all goes beyond my knowledge.

The computer crashes and than goes do bluescreen but it restarts by himself.

I already tried restarting the computer, uninstall the cura and intall it again and nothing works...

The thing is that I still have the cura 5.0.0 and the version 5.1.1 that I had opened don't work but the 5.0.0 opens no problem.

And untill now the only way I can open cura is when comes a new update I istall it and works perfectly fine...

The only way for me to use cura is by using the 5.0.0 version.
    Thanks anyway.

I'll try your workaround on that version to see if it works.

It didn't work...

It still starts above of what is suppose to...

Post a gcode file here and I'll take a look.

It's a simple 20x20x20 cube with no top, infill or bottom.

CE3_20mm_cube.gcode

So did it Pause and were you able to resume?

"It still starts above of what is suppose to...I assume you mean that there is a second problem.

I see two things.

In the Pause At Height dialog box set the "Disarm Timeout" to 1800 and set the StandBy Temperature to your Print Temperature.

I think what is happening is that the M104 S0 line is allowing the Hot End to cool off while you are changing filament (or inserting a nut, or whatever).  That is taking longer than the 120 seconds of the standard Disarm Timeout and so the steppers are losing position.  When the print resumes it is at the wrong height.

By maintaining the temperature at the Printing Temperature, and by increasing the Disarm Timeout to 1800 seconds (30 minutes) you should finish whatever you are doing in plenty of time.  Since the Hot End is at Print Temperature the M109 line that follows will be acted on quickly and the print should resume.

Yes, I resume dthe print with no problem.

It noly makes a retraction and pushes the filamento too far back but that's something on the slicer (need to fin what it is xD).

There's no way to always keep the stepper on?
    Whithout a timeout?
    For example, if It pauses and I'm not at home and take more than 30minutes to come back it will lose position anyway.

I'll try to do as you say but can I keep the steppers always on?
    Whithout any timeout?

No, you have to set a time-out or the printer will just use the default 2 minutes.  After experimenting with my Ender I found that 4 hours is the max.  If you do that and took 3 1/2 hours till you go home and resumed the print then you would have to let the hot end cool down or the filament will cook off and cause a clog.

The max Time-Out allowed by Pause at Height is 30 minutes and it's hard coded in the plugin.

If you were to do the pause as we have been talking about, but add the Search and Replace plugin with:

Search = M18 S1800

Replace = M18 S14400

Then you would have 4 hours IF your firmware would allow it.

Setting a time-out is always temporary and as soon as the steppers disable for any reason (like at the end of a print) the Time-Out goes back to 120 seconds.  There is no way to make a permanent change to the firmware without re-compiling the firmware.

It is better, much better actually.

Now what is bothering the most is that the printer retracts right before reaching the part.

I even tried to push the clamp on the extruder when it retracts but somehow it anyway and starts to print extruding material but since it is too far from the hot end It takes time to start comming out.

But the piece is much better.

IMG_20220928_185116.jpg

Progress.

Load that model.  Turn off things like "Arc Welder" and "Adaptive layers" since it doesn't need them.

After you set up for the slice use the "File | Save Project" command and post the 3mf here.

Done.

Here you go

CE3_20mm_cube.3mf

The hurricane left me with a mess.  It will be a couple of minutes (or weeks) before I can look at that.

No problem.

Hope you are ok.

When you find time to look at it just repply here.

Posted (edited) · Ender 3 v2 pause issue

Here is a snippet from a gcode from your project file.
    G1 F9000 X100.6 Y100.6 >>Move to the start position over the print
    G1 F300 Z1.4 ; move back down to resume height
    G1 F1500 E5 >>Prime to make up for the retraction you asked for in the settings.
    G1 F922.3 ; restore extrusion feedrate
    G92 E37.72338

I think there is a bug report about this on Github.  That line with the E5 should be before the "move to start position" line so any blob occurs where the head was parked and not on the print.

This is my system and the 3mf I've attached is what I would use.

When filling in the "Pause at Height" dialog leave the "retraction" box at 0.  That results in this gcode.  Notice that there is no prime move anymore.

G1 F9000 X100.6 Y100.6 >>Move to the start position over the print
    G1 F300 Z1.4 ; move back down to resume height
    G1 F922.3 ; restore extrusion feedrate

G92 E37.72338

So the print is running and the pause occurs.  You manually pull the filament out, insert the new filament and push by hand until the color changes. THEN pull back 3 to 5mm.  Then un-pause the printer.

That little hand retraction will relieve the pressure in the nozzle and you should get a clean start with no blob.  It may take a couple of practice tries to get the amount of pull-back just right.  I've gotten pretty good at it.

The best situation you can hope for is that there is some support on that layer because support always prints first so any scar that might occur is in the support rather than in the model.  I know, it isn't always possible.  That's why you need to practice the hand retraction.

I didn't post the 3mf due to power issues here.  I'll get to it.  It will be the same as yours but with the retraction distance at "0".

Edited by GregValiant