Bring me your bugs! Cura 14.02-RC2 ready for testing.

Daid

Posted · Bring me your bugs! Cura 14.02-RC2 ready for testing.

It was a dual extrusion print. The extruder 2 offset is set to X: 25.1, Y: -.3.

There is indeed a bug in the RC1 to RC3 versions that causes this with dual-extrusion (internally the head-offset of extruder 1 is not properly set to 0,0)

Found the bug and fixed it. Good catch!

Got something strange when selecting the 'spiralize outer contour' setting. The outline changes into this star- / snowflake- shape line.

It's supposed to be a double walled (0.8mm) vase: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:126567

Spiralize is always a bit tricky. As the GCode reader has trouble finding out the layer height.

Hi Daid,

Thank you for the new version. Looking forward for separate speeds for inner and outer shells.

Regarding the UM2 firmware, did you catch the bug where retraction settings aren't saved? It is somewhat annoying because it must be set every time the printer is powered on.

Thanks.

I did not check if the retraction settings are properly saved now. I did make some changes on saving settings, so can you check this?

I also uploaded an RC3 which fixes the earlier mentioned problems with the layer view crashing and showing older gcode.

• Replies 190
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UPDATE: I just found something quite serious:

Did you change the EOL-character in the generated GCODE? It's now kind of a mess on a Windows machine (everything in one line). And the TweakAtZ plugin was not executed at the layer I specified (I will have to check the GCODE on the SDCard after the current print finishes, on the PC, the GCODE includes the TweakAtZ information); this might be related to the EOL character.

EDIT (10:37): Forget about the plugin, it works fine if a reasonable input is made... :shock: (means: my fault).

The terminal character bug is not yet fixed in RC3.Might be the way it was compiled rather than the source code?

UPDATE2: Found another bug... a known one I thought it was already fixed.

When doing a one-after-the-other print of two objects with brim, for the second object it begins somewhere in the middle of the brim and first goes inwards then completes the outermost lines of the brim.

This one is also not yet fixed in RC3.

I hope for RC4/final version... :unsure:

No

OK.... could you please specify 'not working': no gcode change or do you get an error? Errors are visible at the end of output.txt; but you have to close Cura for having this file updated.

Installed RC3 for testing here in office, but there are still the same behaviors/issues as with RC2 (dont know if you fixed something at this issues so far)...

Daid.... now I´m completely confused...

Opened Cura, cleared platform and re-loaded the default UM robot from the example folder in the program directory. (Don´t know why comming to this idea...)

Interesting point: NOW it slices after loading a model

I played a bit around with my path structure where the stl´s are stored. Could this affect the slicing engine??

not slicing with this path:

C:\Users\xxxxx\Downloads\Privat\§DPring\bridge-torture-test-25mm.stl

slicing with this path:

C:\Users\xxxxx\Downloads\bridge-torture-test-25mm.stl

C:\Users\xxxxx\Downloads\Privat\3DPring\bridge-torture-test-25mm.stl

I never had issues with the path naming in the previouse versions...

So maybe there is the root cause for my office-notebook-issue identified...

Next, testing at home at afternoon...

Regarding the 'spiralize' bug, version 14.01 works perfectly. Even when setting 0.8 or bigger wall thicknesses. But I want to use this option together with pauze at Z.. which is'nt working in 14.01 ;) So something happend with the sipralize option during the transition of 14.01 to 14.02.

OK.... could you please specify 'not working': no gcode change or do you get an error? Errors are visible at the end of output.txt; but you have to close Cura for having this file updated.

No gcode change

The terminal character bug is not yet fixed in RC3.Might be the way it was compiled rather than the source code?

This one is also not yet fixed in RC3.

I hope for RC4/final version... :unsure:

Only pused the RC3 to addres the rendering issue. Going to look at the other issues on monday.

(Right now I'm standing on top of a 1meter height 3D print inside a large 3D printer. Hows that for a normal day at the office?)

Uninstalled RC2, downloaded and installed RC3.

After 1st start it forced me a bit more to make contact to the printer, but this was not my goal in testing, so I escaped that action.

Then loading one of the models tested before in RC2 (and printed in 14.01). Loading was OK.

Then clicking on Layer view... 'pling' sound, RC3 not responding, CPU 80% down to 60% use for 1 minute, then down to 0%. python reported (after this minute) 0 % CPU, memory almost stable.

No layer formation visible, now I could move another window over the view plane, which was not blanked out, but remained as it was after loading the model. So forced the application to stop (Taak beeindigen).

Restart RC3 with the same result.

Output.txt shows:

Listening for engine communications on 49674

Closing down

Listening for engine communications on 49674

Closing down

Conclusion: something has changed, but still a bug.

Daid, I still appreciate your work! Good luck!

Edit: WinMerge shows the .gcode for RC2 and RC3 is identical (except for Sliced at time).

(Right now I'm standing on top of a 1meter height 3D print inside a large 3D printer. Hows that for a normal day at the office?)

Now, now, Daid.

You know you're not supposed to release information on the new sub $200 UM3. :p

Wow! it really is sub $200 if you're quick enough. I'm almost tempted.

Trouble is: I don't NEED it.

Sigh!

Me neither, but if it had the Ultimaker logo on it, I'd buy it anyway :)

[...]

I guess this printer is rather printing concrete than PLA... :)

This may be a silly question, but here goes. Will "Profiles" developed in 14.01 work with 14.02_RC3? Is it as simple as opening the desired .ini file?

Thanks!

Bill

Hi, Daid.

Perhaps I was getting a bit too eager. I "uninstalled" RC2 and downloaded and installed 14.02_RC3. The exaggerated travel moves persist when attempting a dual head print. Here is a sample of code (the exaggerated moves are in the 5th line):

G0 F5400 X-110.46 Y23.97

G1 F420 X-109.63 Y24.80 E10.41135

G1 F900 E5.91135

G1 Z1.60

G0 F5400 X-7162.27 Y-6927.34

G0 X-98.63 Y3.13

G1 Z1.10

G1 F900 E10.41135

G1 F420 X-96.56 Y3.13 E10.51452

As above, this is for my Rostock MAX fitted with dual heads and controlled by a RAMBo 1.1. Everything works well with 14.01.

Good luck with the bug fixes! They are always fun...

Bill

No gcode change

Could you please give me the numbers you put into the plugin and the approximate dimensions of the print to which you want to apply the plugin? I would like to reproduce the problem with RC3.

Hi, Daid.

Perhaps I was getting a bit too eager. I "uninstalled" RC2 and downloaded and installed 14.02_RC3. The exaggerated travel moves persist when attempting a dual head print. Here is a sample of code (the exaggerated moves are in the 5th line):

G0 F5400 X-110.46 Y23.97

G1 F420 X-109.63 Y24.80 E10.41135

G1 F900 E5.91135

G1 Z1.60

G0 F5400 X-7162.27 Y-6927.34

G0 X-98.63 Y3.13

G1 Z1.10

G1 F900 E10.41135

G1 F420 X-96.56 Y3.13 E10.51452

As above, this is for my Rostock MAX fitted with dual heads and controlled by a RAMBo 1.1. Everything works well with 14.01.

Good luck with the bug fixes! They are always fun...

Bill

Like I said, the RC3 was just for the GCode layer crash problems.

The fix for the dual-extrusion is made, but will be in RC4. (As I already pushed the button to build RC3 when the dual extrusion bug was noticed)

I've also improved my local build setup, I can now build the Windows, Mac and Linux releases in 3 clicks, and then they get automated uploaded and I just need to verify if they work and move them to the right location on the server.

I still want to go to 1 click for all releases. But this already allows me to quickly supply you with new versions to test.

[...]

I've also improved my local build setup, I can now build the Windows, Mac and Linux releases in 3 clicks, and then they get automated uploaded and I just need to verify if they work and move them to the right location on the server.

I still want to go to 1 click for all releases. But this already allows me to quickly supply you with new versions to test.

I see now where the EOL character issue comes from. I guess you do these three clicks on a Linux machine. Then the Windows version also gets the terminal character of Linux.

Thanks, Daid!

I see now where the EOL character issue comes from. I guess you do these three clicks on a Linux machine. Then the Windows version also gets the terminal character of Linux.

The windows version is actually build on windows right now. (But I have build it on linux before, when I did not work at Ultimaker yet)

The problem is more likely related to the inter-process communication changes I made.

Could you please give me the numbers you put into the plugin and the approximate dimensions of the print to which you want to apply the plugin? I would like to reproduce the problem with RC3.

All working now thanks Dim3nsioneer

I answered Daid incorrectly before when he asked about using previous ini files. I thought he was talking about the plugin file. So my answer should have been Yes, because I had been opening my previous profiles.

Anyway, I got RC3 and a new profile and then set it up like my old profile.

Then it stoppped working again and I found I had an error in my start.gcode

I was using a command to turn the plugin off before and then back on after the first 15mm lowering of the platform

I think I was using it without a semicolon in front

Where as now I have a semicolon in front of both commands and they are working as they should

For anyone interested this is how I have it coded now and it works

;TweakAtZ-state0

G1 Z15.0 F{travel_speed} ;move the platform down 15mm

;TweakAtZ-state1

So thanks again Dim3nsioneer for your help and the great plugin

I know, Macs seem to be good for extra trouble every time :(

It might not have the highest priority, but is release 14 supposed to work with pre-Lion OS X (like 10.6.8) as earlier Cura releases did?

RC2 didn't render the sliced layers,

RC3 exits with

"22.02.14 09:35:07 [0x0-0x217d17b].com.ultimaker.Cura-14.02-RC3[39455] ImportError: No module named Cocoa"

All working now thanks Dim3nsioneer

I answered Daid incorrectly before when he asked about using previous ini files. I thought he was talking about the plugin file. So my answer should have been Yes, because I had been opening my previous profiles.

Anyway, I got RC3 and a new profile and then set it up like my old profile.

Then it stoppped working again and I found I had an error in my start.gcode

I was using a command to turn the plugin off before and then back on after the first 15mm lowering of the platform

I think I was using it without a semicolon in front

Where as now I have a semicolon in front of both commands and they are working as they should

For anyone interested this is how I have it coded now and it works

;TweakAtZ-state0

G1 Z15.0 F{travel_speed} ;move the platform down 15mm

;TweakAtZ-state1

So thanks again Dim3nsioneer for your help and the great plugin

You're welcome... :smile:

The issue with copy the ini files is that one should deactivate all plugins before version change. Otherwise it's looking for an old plugin which might not exist in the new installation anymore and will block newly selected plugins from working. However, on the next start of Cura the issue seems to be solved automatically.

I know, Macs seem to be good for extra trouble every time :(

It might not have the highest priority, but is release 14 supposed to work with pre-Lion OS X (like 10.6.8) as earlier Cura releases did?

RC2 didn't render the sliced layers,

RC3 exits with

"22.02.14 09:35:07 [0x0-0x217d17b].com.ultimaker.Cura-14.02-RC3[39455] ImportError: No module named Cocoa"

I intended it to work on 10.6, but, I have no way to verify or test it on 10.6 (Because Apple hates developers)