First Print ... Straight out of the box ?

skint

Posted · First Print ... Straight out of the box ?

Woofy/Skint

Find files for the spool holder and the hub, i still needed to make some spacers to go on the shaft so the filament holder did not move back and forwards into the holder..

Also you might want to increase the height of the bottom or the top half of the spool holder, as i had very limited space under my UM2 table so i made it as small as possible....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0s3wey3a70r6zkj/Spool%20Holder.zip

spool And holder

• Replies 67
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the files mate, I will have a go at these over the weekend.

Autodesk always do good stuff, I may have to get tinkercad just to be able to mod .stl files, unless I figure out how to get CREO to do it.

Going out for a few too many beers tonight... so I fear Saturday / sunday is going to be a nice quiet printing weekend haha :p

Unfortunately you will have trouble getting it on a normal spool the inside diameter of a faberdashery spool is much larger than a standard spool your looking at about 10 -12 inches. it would just spring open that's if it did not snap trying to wrap it round a standard spool which is about 55mm diameter..

I had a lot of trouble putting fabadashery filament on the ultimaker spools until I tried doing it on a broom handle(running through reel and spool centres), it takes a bit of time but it fits on there and the broom handle keeps it from tangling (it still kind of birds nests but If you gently spin it the opposite way your winding it on it goes back to a manageable reel).

Woofy

LOL i printed 3 arms at a time at 0.2 speed 60 and printed 4 hooks at a time same settings, should have a spool printed in no time :-P

No can do. :cry: :cry:

I'm printing right now at 0.2/50/240 and getting skip back and under extrusion. I'm going to have to scale back to 30mm/s.

http://www.woofys-place.co.uk/files/extrude3.jpg

Oh thats not cool at all, i had under extrusion but mine was fixed with a new Teflon bit, i documented it in Nicolinux thread but it seems thats not a fix for all as a new Teflon did not fix Nicolinux under extrusion issues...

Really frustrating i know....

• Does Cura set the speed in the Gcode ? My cura speed setting on my model is set at 50mm/s however when I load it into the printer its always 100%. So Cura doesnt set the speed ?
    • The estimated print time. Does this ever seem accurate? So far, my prints take much longer than suggested.

Can anyone access this? Ive not used dropbox before :shock: If so, any advice on how you would print that part?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/v7pxt775gbo77pn/625G6JAHpX

Woofy, how long did that one arm and one hook take approximately, do you remember ?

I just started one arm going, at 65% speed. The display started with 2 hours, which I was happy with lol... but it has risen upto 5 hours now? :huh: I`m not very patient obviously!

Edit: Still rising. 6 hours now?

Edit 2 : 7 Hours

Is it meant to be this long and rising :???:

Skint.

The um2 scales the speed you set in cura by the % set on the um2.

50mm/s at 100% is 50mm/s, 30% would scale it back to 15mm/s.

Your dropbox is visible, didn't download as I'm at home on an android pad at the moment.

The bad print I posted above was about 3.5hrs. The print now running at 30mm/s should be just over 4hrs. Use the time displayed by cura, the um2 estimate is useless. The 30mm/s print I ran overnight came out fine.

Thanks Woofy. Its about half way through now, time seems to have fluctuated quite a bit. So far its looking pretty decent. Ill post a pic when its done. If it finishes as well as it looks at the moment, I will run the other 2 or 5 arms later :)

Edit: OK its done! Not too shabby, there is just one small section on the r/h side of the arm which looks as like one layer went a bit funny....at this point I panicked a little as the filament shot off the spool and got all tangled, so I spent the last 15 minutes of the print feeding it like a baby. The filament really tangled itself hard like a python wrapping a pig!

Next job possibly some clips that attach to the spool to prevent filament from slipping off !!

Arm1 A

Arm1 B

If so, any advice on how you would print that part?

On it's side. It will be a bit ugly on the overhangs as it starts to curl up but should print okay. Make sure "brim" is enabled.

If it weren't for those two cylinders sticking down it would be easier to print that side facing down.

I hate support and rarely print with support. You should be okay with no support on this part I think even though on it's side it will have lots of "printing in air" I think it will come out okay.

Make sure fans are at 100% before you get to any tricky overhangs. Print a bit cool if you can - 210C which also means you might have to print pretty slow - maybe 30mm/sec at .1mm layers.

gr5, thanks a lot. I posted the result of the print in the " print latest part " section. It can certainly be better!

I thought about printing it on the side too, I will try that option next time.

With the fans, is it always best to start them at 100% and just leave them on it ? That`s what iv`e been doing so far...

I will slow it down a lot and drop the temp. Thanks for the advice!

The UM2 has an issue with the fans bouncing off the glass and cooling the head and the PID controller for the head takes 30 seconds to compensate and meanwhile you get underextrusion for a few lines causing bad things. Also the bottom layer sticks better if the fans are off.

So usually I use default of fans off first layer and full by 5mm but for this small part I would get the fans on full by around the 4th layer so if .1mm layers and .3mm first layer maybe full fan at .6mm.

Hey Cor3ys

Thanks again for the files and the information on Faberdashery filament. Almost done, just the centre hub to print... I gotta figure out which diameter I need, not sure what i`m spooling it on yet. Now I can order more filament!

B)

Arms Hooks

No worry's mate glad to be of assistance :-P

I found 6 arms worked better but try 3 and see how you get on...

One last tip i manually wind about 50 meters on manually at a time takes about 5 mins to do, i found if i just put it on the spool as it comes then you will get tangles due to the way it is coiled by faberdashery....

Yeah I had a nasty tangle job when some of the ultimaker PLA decided to wind itself off the spool. Not nice! I`m hoping the faberdashery goes on nicely.

A sunday afternoon with dinner in the oven and a glass of red on the go... wondering what to print next :)