My biggest and most complex 3D print so far

Posted · My biggest and most complex 3D print so far

Ok. so, I thought I would put my UM2 through it's paces and print some larger components in ABS. These are for use in a motorcycle project i'm working on at the moment. An under seat storage tray and a mount for the tail light, indicator lamps and licence plate.

The storage tray was too large for the print envelope so I split it into two and made an interlocking joint feature to make sure the parts came together accurately and also give me a good bond area.

The tail lamp mount was a very complex piece. It is shaped to fit on to the end face of the storage tray and is a visible styling feature on the bike.

The whole assembly mounts and integrates with the bikes rear subframe and upper bodywork and seat.

I'm impressed with the over all finish and integrity of the parts. However, I have found that there are one or two print layers that are not perfect and might weaken the parts. That's a shame because over all, they have come out really great.

Resize Of IMG 1377

Resize Of IMG 1376

Resize Of IMG 1403

Resize Of IMG 1398

Resize Of IMG 1394

Resize Of IMG 1369

Nice prints!

Did you know that you can vapor polish ABS prints with acetone fumes to improve surface finish and overall strength of the printed part?

The print will become smooth and glossy and layers will melt together more, maybe even fixing your few bad layers...

What model of bike is that?.... just wondering....

Hi folks, Thanks for the constructive and positive comments...much appreciated ! :)

IronGland, the bike is a Harley Davidson XR1200. The great thing about that bike is that they are really popular for people who want to customize their bike...makes it commercially interesting for me.

I would of been so nervous " Snapping " those of from the glass bed lol :p

Really amazing print !

Very cool! I was actually brainstorming and thought about doing something like this. An under tail section with fender eliminator and maybe a standoff for a power commander ..yours looks awesome. Very cool to see

Which 3D software did you use?