Thread issue in cura

Gregrb

Posted · Thread issue in cura

I have tweaked many settings and getting fairly nice prints. But I have a part with a vertically printed m5 thread that is printing badly, with extra messy plastic/string running all the way up it in some sides which should not be there (as perfectly designed thread). 

I know the part can be perfectly 3d printed as it's a replacement for a part I already had printed in the past in a different 3d printer / but with settings for cura I don't have. 

What setting tweaks can be made to fix this issue as seen in the photos. The part will then have its own second hand screw with internal thread to match made. My 3d printer is MALYAN M200 V2 (Also know under Monoprice re branding) 

20221001_202116.jpg

20221001_202106.jpg

20221001_202127.jpg

15 hours ago, Gregrb said:

What setting tweaks can be made to fix this issue as seen in the photos.

I think M5 is at the very edge of what is possible with a FDM printer.

General advice for printing of small details is:

• choose print temperature as low as reasonable
    • use as much part cooling (fans) as possible
    • very low layer height (like 0.08mm) - keep in mind: thread pitch is only 0.8mm
    • set a "minimum layer time" of at least 10 or 12 seconds

Basically - print as slow and cool as possible to give each layer enough time to solidify. A small nozzle diameter (0.25mm) can be beneficial as well.

If you can share a project file: there are high chances that someone with the same Cura version will have a look and can give more specific advice (in Cura choose "File" -> "Save Project..." and attach it here).

Tried printing my first thread today on the works 3 Extended, what a mess 😞

I have printed down to M3 just fine on my less than a sixth of the price Prusa Mk3S. 

Six months using the 3Extended and its not a machine I would buy