Is my Ultimaker 3 about to die 😥

burhop

Posted (edited) · Is my Ultimaker 3 about to die 😥

My loyal Ultimaker 3ex, we will call her Edith👵, randomly just stops printing every few hours🕑.  It used to be infrequent but only the shortest of prints has worked the last few weeks. She is quite old  with a warranty that is long expired.  

I'm handy enough * to take it apart and replace parts.  I suspect it is the Lime2 board.  Poor Edith will be in the middle of a print and just stop.  The menu keeps saying "Pause" and "tune" but "pause" does nothing.  I can go to "tune" but no options work.  Anyone else see anything like this?  Surely, Edith has sisters.

Edith is set up for development mode and when she stops, I can no longer ssh in.  The web pages she serves out is gone too so there is no log to look at. This also has me thinking it is the Lime2 board as it runs this stuff.  The room is a cool 65 degrees (65 -32 * 5 /9 Celsius) but I suspect it is overheating. I don't think it is the power but I do live in a third world country (New Jersey). 

P.S. Sorry for the poor humor but this seems like a really boring post. 

* If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy!

Edited by burhop

• 1 year later...
    Posted · Is my Ultimaker 3 about to die 😥

@burhop Hi! Wondering what ended up happening with your Ultimaker 3. I am now experiencing a similar issue with prints but it cuts off in the middle of every print I attempt & am wondering if this it's time to say goodbye to it. Thanks so much for any input!

Can you explain in more detail what you mean by "it cuts off"?  Does it stop printing and act like everything is fine and tell you to remove the print?  Does it reboot?  Does it go black?  Does it report an error?  Does it home the print head?  Does it leave the nozzle on the print (and melt the print a bit)?

Just as an anecdote, my S5 was randomly failing and just saying "Print Failed" for seemingly no reason. But we eventually thought that the large air conditioner units would kick in and occasionally cause a power brown out that wasn't noticeable but caused the printer to reset. We added a UPS to the printer and never had the problem again.

19 hours ago, banannali said:

I am now experiencing a similar issue with prints but it cuts off in the middle of every print I attempt & am wondering if this it's time to say goodbye to it.

UM3 should last at least another 10 years. Probably longer.  If you explain the failure, the fix might simply be getting a new power brick.