Help with slicing this for 3d printing

ndsugi

Posted (edited) · Help with slicing this for 3d printing

I've been reworking this model trying to get it designed optimally for 3d printing (FDM w/ PLA).  After a few not so great print attempts I am wondering if anyone has any tips for me, I have pictures here, and also a 3mf cura file if anyone feels like taking a look.  It seems like my supports are either not adhering enough to create a clean underside final layer finish, or too stuck and a pain to remove, sometimes causing damage especially on a model like this.  

Should I just completely remodel this one?  Or is there a clever way to print this in one go that I am missing.  Tried tree supports and regular so far, both the touching build plate and everywhere setting.  I don't think the everywhere setting is good when there is designs like the mouth and teeth, because the supports get impossibly trapped in there, but with this type of design with protruding overhangs at different spots I don't think I have a choice.

Screenshot (42).png

Screenshot (43).png

Screenshot (44).png

Screenshot (45).png

misogimask.3mf

Edited by ndsugi

Posted · Help with slicing this for 3d printing

Oh My! This is such an amazing model 🤩

I believe there are ways to print this model. 
    Personally I would print it in this orientation.
    image.thumb.png.fdc356e4e2574f278d2562150a594152.png

Mari_AKMAX_misogimask.3mf

You mention that your printjob fails.
    Can you show some pictures of where it fails?
    Maybe we can see which setting to change to make it work. 

There are a couple of things I would do...

Enable the Support Interface at 60% density for the roof and floor.  Have them go down slow so they have a better chance to cool.  Make the gap between the interface and a roof 1 layer height.  Make the gap between the interface and a floor 2 layer heights.  Increase the XY distance so the support doesn't stick to the model as much on the sides.

In the Material section make the Support Flow and the Support Interface Flow 90%.  That will make the supports weaker.

If you intend to print this vertically then move the model up off the build plate 1mm.  That will allow support for the bottom of the chin.  When resting on the build plate the small contact patch of the chin can be a weak point and the print could fail early.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for the help here, bit late replying.  The 90 percent flow on the supports is a key tip, I think that was one of the last things I hadn't adjusted.  That with the roof layer height correct depending on the filament, the supports peel off for the most part.

• Like 1

I had a model of a switch box that needed to be printed with the opening horizontal.  That made for a lot of roof support and it needed to have the outer wall around the support.  The rear wall way inside was really tough to get out and there were a couple of small internal features that would break off when I removed the support.  I had thinned out the support as much as I could and that's when I thought of dropping the flow.  It worked like a charm for me.  The support was a lot weaker but did it's job in holding up the big roof.  The extra air gap on the floor meant the interface barely stuck and it came out as a single piece instead me having to worry every little bit with the Exacto knife.

• Like 2