SOme parts of model disapear after slicing

CubeBox391

Posted (edited) · SOme parts of model disapear after slicing

There are a couple of reasons for areas to come out like that.

Models with errors confuse a slicer and (in this case) Cura couldn't figure out what to do so it ignored those spots.  I tried to fix the file with Mesh Mixer and with MS 3D Builder and both crashed during the repair.  After simplifying the model I tried again.  This report is from https://formware.co/OnlineStlRepair and it timed out (4 minute limit) trying to fix it.

-> Analyzed your file:
--> 222043 Naked edges (?)
--> 51 Planar holes (?)
--> 27084 Non-planar holes (?)
--> 4 Non-manifold edges (?)
--> 6 Inverted faces (?)
--> 0 Degenerate faces (?)
--> 8 Duplicate faces (?)
--> 0 Disjoint shells (?)
The model is extremely dense at 1500mm tall.  Scaling the model to 250 tall makes the mesh 4 times as dense.

So in my unprofessional opinion, that model be broke.  PrusaSlicer hated trying to slice it as well and the "The model won't be printable" message came up.

Here is the X-ray view in Cura.  Red areas indicate problems.

image.thumb.png.e1b45827f4fa5e7bc1f60586b61faeeb.png

Here is the sliced view in PrusaSlicer.  Note how the missing layers line up with the red areas in the Cura view.

image.thumb.png.dfee9b17da31f296a803e6b5bdbf6b70.png

Another reason for an incomplete slice would be that the Line Width you have set won't fit into the area being sliced.  That may happen on the fingers of that model.  Think of printing a knife edge.  As it narrows - it's width approaches 0 and the nozzle won't fit.

Edited by GregValiant

Posted · SOme parts of model disapear after slicing
    18 hours ago, GregValiant said:

There are a couple of reasons for areas to come out like that.

Models with errors confuse a slicer and (in this case) Cura couldn't figure out what to do so it ignored those spots.  I tried to fix the file with Mesh Mixer and with MS 3D Builder and both crashed during the repair.  After simplifying the model I tried again.  This report is from https://formware.co/OnlineStlRepair and it timed out (4 minute limit) trying to fix it.

-> Analyzed your file:
    --> 222043 Naked edges (?)
    --> 51 Planar holes (?)
    --> 27084 Non-planar holes (?)
    --> 4 Non-manifold edges (?)
    --> 6 Inverted faces (?)
    --> 0 Degenerate faces (?)
    --> 8 Duplicate faces (?)
    --> 0 Disjoint shells (?)
    The model is extremely dense at 1500mm tall.  Scaling the model to 250 tall makes the mesh 4 times as dense.

So in my unprofessional opinion, that model be broke.  PrusaSlicer hated trying to slice it as well and the "The model won't be printable" message came up.

Here is the X-ray view in Cura.  Red areas indicate problems.

image.thumb.png.e1b45827f4fa5e7bc1f60586b61faeeb.png

Here is the sliced view in PrusaSlicer.  Note how the missing layers line up with the red areas in the Cura view.

image.thumb.png.dfee9b17da31f296a803e6b5bdbf6b70.png

Another reason for an incomplete slice would be that the Line Width you have set won't fit into the area being sliced.  That may happen on the fingers of that model.  Think of printing a knife edge.  As it narrows - it's width approaches 0 and the nozzle won't fit.

Is there any way to fix the model throught any software or anyting?

That's what I was trying to do.  There are a lot of holes.  The shoe laces themselves are a pain, something is going on with the beard, and eyes are in backwards or something.  The model has a lot of errors.

I tried cutting it into pieces figuring I could repair the pieces and reassemble the model.  That didn't work either.

Areas like the sides of the shoes don't have any mesh over them.  They are just holes into the interior which appears to be hollow.  Whatever software was used to create this didn't stitch it up everywhere.

It kinda looks like somebody had a bunch of body parts laying around (Igor??) and glued them together but didn't do a proper "Union" operation.

One problem I'm having is that Mesh Mixer and 3D Builder keep crashing when trying to deal with this and so two of my main tools won't work.  We're talking about a model that is very high resolution at 1500mm tall.  Scaling it down to fit on my Ender increases the density of the triangles by a factor of 6.  Couple that with the fact that the model has almost half a million errors and my little laptop just looked at me and said "You have got to be %$#@ing me!".

While I was typing all of that I was working on the model. I simplified it another step and decided to give IdeaMaker a try.  I don't like to do peoples homework for them but in this case I'll give you the model cuz it's a complete pain in the butt.

If you can get the beard to print you'll get the Rudyard Kipling "You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din" award.

Ideamaker Real Simple_Untitledav1-export.stl

18 hours ago, GregValiant said:

That's what I was trying to do.  There are a lot of holes.  The shoe laces themselves are a pain, something is going on with the beard, and eyes are in backwards or something.  The model has a lot of errors.

I tried cutting it into pieces figuring I could repair the pieces and reassemble the model.  That didn't work either.

Areas like the sides of the shoes don't have any mesh over them.  They are just holes into the interior which appears to be hollow.  Whatever software was used to create this didn't stitch it up everywhere.

It kinda looks like somebody had a bunch of body parts laying around (Igor??) and glued them together but didn't do a proper "Union" operation.

One problem I'm having is that Mesh Mixer and 3D Builder keep crashing when trying to deal with this and so two of my main tools won't work.  We're talking about a model that is very high resolution at 1500mm tall.  Scaling it down to fit on my Ender increases the density of the triangles by a factor of 6.  Couple that with the fact that the model has almost half a million errors and my little laptop just looked at me and said "You have got to be %$#@ing me!".

While I was typing all of that I was working on the model. I simplified it another step and decided to give IdeaMaker a try.  I don't like to do peoples homework for them but in this case I'll give you the model cuz it's a complete pain in the butt.

If you can get the beard to print you'll get the Rudyard Kipling "You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din" award.

Ideamaker Real Simple_Untitledav1-export.stl 18.67 MB · 0 downloads

Thanks, i didn't make the model, i order it on fiver and i complained a few days ago and he said i had to pay more fot him to have a look so definitelly not paying more.

Do you think that by converting it to solid on Fusion 360 and exporting it will fix it?

The one I posted is fixed (so far as I can tell).  I had to simplify it twice to get the resolution down to something sane and then IdeaMaker was able to fix it.  The other utilities I use still didn't like it.  The beard won't print though.  It looks like it's just stuck onto the model rather than being part of it.

I'm seeing a new trend to make models as high a resolution as possible.  The slicers really struggle trying to cut through so many triangles/layer and if/when they finish slicing - there is no way that the printer can control the molten plastic enough to provide that sort of resolution.

Try that "IdeaMaker Real Simple..." model and see how the slice looks.

ok, thanks