3D Benchy PLA troubleshooting, Ultimaker S5

Vladikkkkkk

Posted · 3D Benchy PLA troubleshooting, Ultimaker S5

Hi. I've been troubleshooting the Ultimaker S5 printer for some time now and this is the best version of 3D Benchy that I have gotten so far. The main problems are still on the hull (3) and some sagging on the overhangs (1) and in the roof (3).

I'm using the default Cura (5.2.1) settings for my print with some minor adjustments (enabling bridging for example). The fan speeds are all turned to 100% and I've read that the sagging can come from not enough cooling. I'm using Fiberlogy Easy PLA White filament.

Here are some of the settings:

Layer Height 0.1mm

Wall thickness 0.8mm

Printing temp 200C and build plate temp 60C

Print speed 70mm/s

Fan speed 100%

Retraction distance 6.5mm and speed 45mm/s

Does anyone have some ideas how the print could be improved or what could be the flaws maybe in the settings?

Inked20221025_091919_LI.jpg

Inked20221025_091803_LI.jpg

Inked20221025_091900_LI.jpg

20221025_091836.jpg

20221025_091752.jpg

UMS5_3DBenchy_TEST-1_default.3mf

Hey @Vladikkkkkk,

Welcome to the Ultimaker Community 🎉

At first glance it seems like this material is being printed too hot. 

Can you try printing a temperature tower using this plug-in?

https://marketplace.ultimaker.com/app/cura/plugins/5axes/CalibrationShapes

Can you check if your fan is working correctly? 
    Tips on how to perform maintanance can be found here:

https://support.ultimaker.com/hc/en-us/articles/360011635039-Clean-the-S-line-front-print-head-fan

Hi @MariMakes!

Thank you for the quick response!

I checked the fan, it's clean and working. We printed the temp tower and it seems like the best results are with 215C. 

Its quite strange, because we printed also temp tower when we opened this filament and then the best results were 200C, so that is why we used that value.

What do you think, should we print the boat again at 215C or do you have any other suggestions what to check or try?

MicrosoftTeams-image (4).png

MicrosoftTeams-image (3).png

Temp_tower_-_with_Gcode.ufp

1 minute ago, Framar said:

I get better results with my S3 and S5 with the default profile. I'll stick to 200°C

But the fan is working 100%. What else could be the problem? Bridge settings are turned off in the default and I have it turned on, but it seems like the bridge settings improved the print compared to some older tests with them settings turned off. Or could it be a problem with the nozzle? 

Hey @Vladikkkkkk,

I printed your exact Gcode.ufp on my S5 with Ultimaker PLA and this is the result I got.
    749529038_temperatureTower.thumb.jpeg.6372eaaea6987c5a8e004ac83bccee4c.jpeg

That means that it does not have to do with your settings but your material or your hardware.

If other materials print worse than expected with the same printer, there might be a broken part. Then it's better to reach out to our support experts. You can create a ticket here: 

https://support.ultimaker.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=360000516360

• Like 1

Are you sure all fans are running? you should be able to get better bridges with an S5 and PLA.