different infills within the same model possible?

Threeo

Posted (edited) · different infills within the same model possible?

Hi there

I have an ENDER PRO 5

I printed this character in upright position with an infill of 20% (PLA).

Its left leg turned out solid enough, the right leg was too weak and broke off.

In order to keep the infill to 20% I added two stabilizing cylinders inside the lower legs in BLENDER.

I exported the character with the two cylinders inside as an STL-file.

-> those two cylinders were not printed 

my questions:

1) is it still somehow possible to print those two cylinders within the mesh/character?

or

2) is it possible to have a 80%-infill in the legs but a 20%-infill in the huge belly (in the same print)?

or

3) any other solutions?

thanks a lot for your reply!

Threeo

Character_BLENDER.JPG

Character_BLENDER_Leg_with_cylinder_inside.JPG

Character_CURA_inside_leg_no_cylinder.JPG

Character_FOOT_foto.JPG

Edited by Threeo
added a picture/photograph

Posted · different infills within the same model possible?

You can bring in a support blocker, scale it to fit over the area you want to change.  With the blocker selected go to the Per Model settings and set it to "Modify Overlaps" and as an Infill Mesh.  Use the Select Settings button and go down to the Infill section and select "Infill Density".  Now you have a Modifier Mesh.

You will get extra top and bottom layers at the intersection of the blocker if you don't set them to zero.

You could also add more walls at the overlap area instead of increasing the density of the infill.

Here I've done both.  The mesh modifier is set to 100% infill and 3 walls.

image.thumb.png.616fae5d0eda6fcc83a9eea47753573e.png

• Like 1

Posted · different infills within the same model possible?

Another option is to tweak the "Minimum Infill Area" setting. That way you would get 100% infill with skin pattern in the leg. And if you find a value that fits well with the model it would do the same thing to other parts of the model that could also turn out too small to work with the 20% infill. 100% infill instead of 80% shouldn't make that much difference in print time and material use on such a small model, but it will probably be stronger.

Infill Area.png

• Thanks 1