Cooling fan don't start automatically.

tomecko

Posted · Cooling fan don't start automatically.

file.gcode Hello. I have anycubic mega zero. Until now it was everything fine but now when I want print something it doesn't automatically start cooling when i m looking on gcode file i cannot fined the command for fan to start cooling. Can someone help me solve this problem pls.  

image.png

Hey @tomecko,

Welcome to the Ultimaker Community 🎉

I checked your Gcode and it's indeed missing the M106 command.
    But that could have a lot of causes. 🤔

Do you have a project file for us? It contains the printer and settings we need for troubleshooting. 
    To save a project file go to File -> Save project.

@MariMakes I know we open a lot of files...

This is at Line 1120 of @tomecko's "file.gcode" file.

;LAYER:1
    M106 S85

and line 1215

;LAYER:2
    M106 S170

and line 1251

;LAYER:3
    M106 S255

Line 61716 at the end of the file

M107

So it looks like the fan is off for the first layer and then the commands are there for it to ramp up to 100% at Layer 4 as it is set to.

This may be a hardware issue.

@tomecko can you turn the fan on manually from the LCD controls?

• Laugh 1

@GregValiant and @gr5 are correct, the fan speed is indeed in your gcocde 😅

When I open your profile file I see that Regular Fan Speed at Layer is defined as layer 4. 
    It's supposed to start spinning at the defined speed, 100%, at that layer. 
    If that's not what you want you can change the Initial Fan Speed or the Regular Fan Speed Height. 
    If that's not happening than there is probably something wrong with your hardware. 

image.thumb.png.b4e047ae4f3398e04908b86fa7c24fc5.png

I have the same issue on my ender 3 v2. I was on cura 4.10 till this month and when i switched over the cooling on small parts stopped. I have to do a large 13h print before i start to get cooling and while i print the small parts the printer says the fan is on max but it doesnt spin. When i use an old gcode it works fine just like before. I think cura 5.1 and 5.2.1 have an issue with how they handel cooling.

Posted (edited) · Cooling fan don't start automatically.

"... the printer says the fan is on max but it doesn't spin."

The cooling commands have not changed.  If the fan % indicator on the LCD says the fan is at 100% then the printer saw an "M106" line in the gcode and reacted to it. 

If you go to "Manage Printers" and then "Machine Settings" and click on the "Extruder 1" tab you will see a box for "Cooling Fan Number".  Since you only have a single extruder you only have a single layer cooling fan and it's number is "0".  The setting isn't "Number of Cooling fans", but rather which fan works with which extruder.  In your case the "Cooling Fan Number" should be Zero.  Within the Gcode file should be lines like "M106 S255" and not "M106 S255 P1".

Edited by GregValiant

I'm having this problem as well. I've got a duet board and in my Cura created gcode, the commands are given as M106 S255. But they are ignored. If I manually enter that the same thing happens. However if I manually enter M106 P0 S255 it turns on the fan and acts as expected. Is there a setting that I can change that will include the P value?

I should add that I'm my software and firmware version on my duet machine is 3.5.0-rc.2 and I'm using Cura 5.5.0

@Phrayzur are you in the correct thread here?  This thread is a year old and your comment doesn't seem to jive with it.

That's a very good question 🤔. I need to start remembering that it's not January 2023 but 2024. I didn't mean to necro this thread. But I thought it was on topic. All the part cooling fan commands in my gcode are missing the P number. It may be that the version of the duet software I have requires it now maybe? I only just started using this a couple of prints ago. But I had redone a ton of stuff and chalked it up to me missing something. But when I check the gcode there's no fan designation. Only that a fan should turn on and it should be set to x speed.

Oh, hang on. You may have missed the first post. I'm new to the forums and I haven't had 2 posts approved by moderators yet. But it looks like my second post made it anyway. Here's the first post:

I'm having this problem as well. I've got a duet board and in my Cura created gcode, the commands are given as M106 S255. But they are ignored. If I manually enter that the same thing happens. However if I manually enter M106 P0 S255 it turns on the fan and acts as expected. Is there a setting that I can change that will include the P value?

There are config files you can edit for your printer type that you chose in cura.  Will duet configure to use the older fan commands?  That might be easier.  

Somewhere in the printer config I think you can setup the fan gcode command.  I don't know much about this.  The config files are not trivial to find.  After editing restart cura.  If you edit the installed files and you update cura you will lose your edits.  There is also a way to create your own machine profile.  Not sure how to do that but I think it goes in a different folder tree.  Very different location on your computer.

I'll take a look. Thanks for the reply.

1 hour ago, gr5 said:

There is also a way to create your own machine profile.  Not sure how to do that but I think it goes in a different folder tree.

I've written about that before, but I can't remember what topic to look in (it's a little complex to people who don't do this all the time, but it's not hard). I've been meaning to write up a bunch of these sorts of tutorial and put them on my website so I can just link to them.

Having no fan issues as well.  The fan was set to 95%.  I tried fan 0 and fan 1 in the machine settings under extruder. This did not work as I searched of the M106 command in the gcode.   The only M106 was at the end and it was to tun it off.  The only other fan command was M107 at the beginning of the print which is to TURN FAN OFF!!. I added more fan speed settings to the setup, see below and now my code as the fan on command to 95%... seems like an issue with the Cura.

Before:

image.thumb.png.a5e9de846b7ef6b75cf785844daa4949.png

After:

image.thumb.png.f05e81b448fc6352470443fe8d40ae50.png

What I added to Cura make it insert the M106 command:

image.png.c5d9c9f3f0066dfa1b7d3176572c54ab.png

By default Cura will start a print with the fan off because it aids adhesion for the initial layers (more time to set and adhere to the build plate) and ramp it up over the next few layers. It's by design, not a bug.

2 hours ago, Slashee_the_Cow said:

By default Cura will start a print with the fan off because it aids adhesion for the initial layers (more time to set and adhere to the build plate) and ramp it up over the next few layers. It's by design, not a bug.

Yes, thanks makes sense and since I was looking at the bed leveling which had one layer it did not have another M106 command to turn the fan on.  So by default without the additional parameters it seems it turns the fan on after it makes the initial first layer.   I think I will change my settings to turn the fan on after the 1st layer, by setting the "Regular Fan Speed at Height" variable to 0.2 mm. 

5 hours ago, acray said:

I think I will change my settings to turn the fan on after the 1st layer, by setting the "Regular Fan Speed at Height" variable to 0.2 mm. 

I usually give it 2-4, depending on the material. But it's better to ramp it up over a few layers because going from 0-100% might leave a visible mark (although it'd be right at the bottom) but also for materials that are prone to warping, there's a chance 100% fan on the second layer will cause some warping due to the temperature difference.