Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
klipperdeklip

Stepper Driver (Part USD1.0) broken. Where to get a new one?

Hello everyone,

After a good struggle in the morning I came to the conclusion that my stepper driver is broken (part usd1.0, http://www.ultimaker.com/usd1.0). And with the conclusion came a quite simple question.. Where can I get new parts? Because on the ultimaker shop there is a section "parts" but it on only shows the arduino board. Suggestions?

Thanks in advance

When they started the Ultimaker, the A4983 based Pololu was not available yet. (only the A4988 was available)

In the amounts they are producing, it might be cheaper to produce yourself instead of buy. (not sure)

The Pololu's don't have heatsinks. But they are not really needed.

Cheapest I could find near the Netherlands are:

http://www.watterott.com/en/Pololu-A498 ... er-Carrier

and NL based shop almost doubles the price. (I was looking for these for another project)

But if you got broken parts, contact UM support first. Most likely they'll replace the broken parts for free.

Hello all,

For information:

I had a look at the Pololu web site. It seems that the "A4983 Stepper Motor Driver Carrier" has been discontinued. The recommanded replacement is now the "A4988 Stepper Motor Driver Carrier".

It seems everyone here has a preference for tht A4983 based board. Why this?

The A4988 seems to have extra short circuit and over current protection.

Gael

Sorry to bump such an old thread but it does seem to follow.

One of my original A4983 drivers packed up and I have been trying to replace it with a A4988. It is simply the driver at fault and all the other electonics is fine. This can be demonstrated by putting another original driver in the slot of the failed one.

The problem is when I put a new A4988 the motor it powers the motor but just makes a lot of noise and doesn't move it. I presume this is the driver shutting down and starting up many times a second due to a "fault" that the original drivers tolerated.

Has anyone else tried using the A4988 on an original Ultimaker?