Cura places half of every object below the build plate

SnowShoe
Go to solution Solved by MariMakes,

Posted · Cura places half of every object below the build plate

Cura version 4.2.1 defaults every time I use it, putting half of the object below the build plate even though I specified in preferences “automatically drop models to the build plate.” While I can correct the problem by manually entering Z = 0, I shouldn’t have to do that, nor do I in another Cura installation (version 5.1.0) I’ve used many times on another computer. How can I make Cura 4.2.1 do what it should always do: drop models to the build plate?

• Solution

Hey @SnowShoe,

Welcome to the Ultimaker Community 🎉
    Are you really using Cura 4.2.1? Or do you mean Cura 5.2.1?
    If you are, I'm just super curious why you are stuck on Cura version that is released in August 2019.

What kind of files are you trying to load? 

One of the benefits of .3mf files is that they remember their position in space. 
    If you are trying to load a .3mf that is saved half below the buildplate plane, it will load like that. 
    STLs shouldn't be impacted by this. 

Thanks for your prompt reply. I am using Cura 4.2.1 because that is the version supplied by Anycubic customized for my printer (Kobra). I routinely use .3mf files and have never had this problem (half of the object defaulting to print below the build plate) on my newer Cura installation on another computer, or with PrusaSlicer on another computer. Incidentally, my CAD program always outputs .3mf files with objects on the build plate, never below it.

If I upgrade Cura, will it remember all of the customized settings for filaments and my printer?

I upgraded to the latest version of Cura, which solved the original problem and created another. I won’t mention it here (unless requested) because forums generally prefer to stay on-topic, not flowing from topic to topic.

• Thanks 1