How to force Cura slicer to perform orthogonal travel paths only?

fangq

Posted · How to force Cura slicer to perform orthogonal travel paths only?

We are trying to make a print mixing multiple filaments (the printer is a Zonestar M4 4-filament extruder). the model was sliced by cura.

After finishing the print, we noticed that the print show smearing between different color regions - see the print photo below (transilluminated by a light source under the print) - each circular and rectangular regions are supposed to have a different blackness, but they seem to spread out across the regions.

image.thumb.jpeg.c8dfff2c88296d4638447046282ff2d4.jpeg

We are trying to identify reasons for this behavior. By rendering the print (before adding the color switching tower) in cura, I noticed that there are travel paths that across individual regions - drawing diagonal lines within each layer. see screenshot below (blue lines shows the travel paths - the Extruder 1 is not rendered to show these paths inside) - I suspect that such movement may contribute to the smearing between regions of materials.

image.thumb.png.a6d49742c73e7bf764f8ade28a5afd34.png

i am wondering if there is a setting I can force cura to only perform orthogonal movement for travel paths - for example, when jumping from one corner of a region to another region, it always move to one of the edges and move along the edge - this way, we may have less cross talk between regions.

any suggestions how to minimize such cross path would be appreciated!

Posted · How to force Cura slicer to perform orthogonal travel paths only?

Hey @fangq,

Welcome to the Ultimaker Community 🎉.

This is a crazy interesting example of extreme Cura usage. 

Do you mind if I share it with our Print Profile Experts?

I see the dark blue lines that indicate unretracted travels, those are the ones you want to avoid. 
    Did you have a look at the different Combing settings? 
    https://github.com/Ghostkeeper/SettingsGuide/blob/master/resources/articles/travel/retraction_combing.md

I also believe that Travel Avoid Distance might have a large impact on what you are trying to do. 

https://github.com/Ghostkeeper/SettingsGuide/blob/master/resources/articles/travel/travel_avoid_distance.md

I also know we have a bug with travels that are not retracted when...

Models are placed less than 4mm apart some travels are not retracted.
    Even thinner models need to be 6 mm apart before getting retracted.

Maybe you can take that into account into your design untill the bug is fixed. 

Do you have a project file for us? It contains the printer and settings we need for troubleshooting. 
    To save a project file go to File -> Save project.

Posted (edited) · How to force Cura slicer to perform orthogonal travel paths only?
    On 12/21/2022 at 12:57 AM, fangq said:

I am wondering if there is a setting I can force cura to only perform orthogonal movement for travel paths

Intuitively, I would say this should be possible with e Search and Replace postprocessing script, replacing all travel moves with both an X and Y movement with two travel moves, one with just the X component and the other with just the Y component.

I have not tested this extensively, but you could try the following in a Search and Replace script:

Search: G0 (.*) X([\d.]*) Y([\d.]*)(.*?)$

Replace: G0 \1 X\2\4\nG0 Y\3

Use Regular Expressions: checked

Make sure you get the spaces correctly.

image.thumb.png.c246374e5cbd468af6e0a3a7aeb87a40.png

This replaces eg

G0 F6480 X193.043 Y137.069 Z0.27

with

G0 F6480 X193.043 Z0.27
    G0 Y137.069

Edited by ahoeben
    copy/paste error
    • Like 1
    • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
    Posted (edited) · How to force Cura slicer to perform orthogonal travel paths only?

Hello,

I am working on this project along with @fangq..

Attached is a current project file:

Note I am currently working with a 4 in 1 out ZoneStar printer. Those blocks in the front of the file I am essentially using as "purge blocks" every layer so I can smoothly switch between colors. I have already tried to play with the combing settings/ travel avoid distances. While I have shown an improvement over @fangq 's posted results, I was still wondering if there was a way to further eliminate those cross model travel paths.

image.png.08b223ce1df6bacf349212bbf669b4d4.png

ZZMIX_WcustomColorTower_ComplexSubRegionv3_8colors.3mf

Edited by rahul_r

The gcode can also be post-processed (using a custom code) to change the G0 X Y straight line moves into an X move and then a Y move to make them orthographic.  Using the word "MESH" and processing all the commands until a ";" showed up in the line might provide a suitable filter.

Looking at your sketch - I don't see a way to automate those "wrap-around" moves you show.  

An alternative might be to use generous Z-hop heights.  If the nozzle always travels 2mm above the prints it may solve your problem.

Here is a slice of your file.

image.thumb.png.a57f17e84e3a930b524b2dac1b0933b3.png

This is with orthogonal travel moves.

image.thumb.png.cbd83f7b36a79dbf4df67db9f1b9e224.png

Edited by GregValiant
    • Like 1
    • Thanks 2